Gun violence in the USA

Marka Ragnos

29 minutes ago, sne said:

In a move that will no doubt cause outrage, protests and calls for boycotts from NRA-nuts retail chain Walmart will stop selling ammunition for certain weapons after the latest couple of mass shootings.

I've heard they will also sell heavy duty bandages, and offer thoughts and prayers, though that seems to be going a bit too far.  No need to get carried away.  Well, unless you're a victim, I suppose.

Just now, Keyblade said:

The fact that Walmart sells ammunition is unbelievably wild.

Tomatoes, bread, washing powder, toilet rolls, something for dinner, enough ammo to wipe out a small town...which of us does not have such a shopping list?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A 14-year-old boy in Alabama has confessed to killing five members of his own family, US police say.

Those killed were the boy's father, stepmother and siblings, local media report. Three were found dead at the scene while the other two died in hospital.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49568967

14 year old kills 5 family members

28 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

The first time I went in a Walmart, ammunition didn't raise an eyebrow, it was live animals that I thought was weird. 

Well, they need some targets. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, snowychap said:

But why, Dom?

Honest question, and ill give you an honest answer, might not be everybody's cuppa tea, but i feel safer. Hope to McGrath i never have to use it. Be the happiest man in the world to be ten ft under and never been close to using it. But for me personally, I feel safer knowing that i have it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dom_Wren said:

Honest question, and ill give you an honest answer, might not be everybody's cuppa tea, but i feel safer. Hope to McGrath i never have to use it. Be the happiest man in the world to be ten ft under and never been close to using it. But for me personally, I feel safer knowing that i have it.

safer from who?

without trying to get you to walk in to the trap of "other gun owners" because that's the whole shit cycle that America is now trapped in

I flirted with the idea of getting a gun after a couple of menacing incidents at a bar I worked at years ago. I took the gun course and was issued a permit. I never bought a gun, and i'm glad I didn't. I needed additional training, honestly. The 2 hour training course was a joke. The trigger on the revolver I was shooting was a hair trigger and i could've hurt someone. I also dealt with a severe bout of social anxiety and depression a couple of years later and was briefly hopeless to the point of possible self harm. Glad I didn't have a gun.

• Like 2

Similar to a friend of mine. He was carjacked in South Africa. Got himself a gun. So much worry in the house, with kids around, he was more scared than without one. He got rid after a couple of months. Mind you I can understand someone in remote areas having one. But not automatic, no way.

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

safer from who?

without trying to get you to walk in to the trap of "other gun owners" because that's the whole shit cycle that America is now trapped in

People trying to do me harm. Slim i know.

I've got no problem with people "Anti Gun" or "I wouldn't own one etc.." No problem at all. I find some people have an issue with a personal legal choice of me exercising a right.

That what always gets me! I am supposed to understand 'the other side' and when i say, fair enough personal choice etc.. some people (not you, i don't think!), have a  pop, and i'm like, okkkkkkkkkkkk.

I used to have a firearms enthusiast thread, but stopped posting it, because it got hijacked, despite pming asking mods, and posting several disclaimers, that if you didnt like firearms, target shooting etc... then why would you be in it!?

Same with this thread, I feel the lack of understanding of law abiding citizens want and right to exercise a legal option for self defense is stopping a real dialogue within the US. It feels like Gun owner=Bad Gun owner. I don't have the solutions, but its nice to be able to have a point of view without being ridiculed for it. 

11 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I flirted with the idea of getting a gun after a couple of menacing incidents at a bar I worked at years ago. I took the gun course and was issued a permit. I never bought a gun, and i'm glad I didn't. I needed additional training, honestly. The 2 hour training course was a joke. The trigger on the revolver I was shooting was a hair trigger and i could've hurt someone. I also dealt with a severe bout of social anxiety and depression a couple of years later and was briefly hopeless to the point of possible self harm. Glad I didn't have a gun.

These are both massive points.

The gun related suicide rates in the US are beyond insane, and it makes it too easy for someone to end it. 

The training is another. Even some highly trained police offers and even those in the armed forces are likely not fully prepared to handle a weapon appropriately - some guy on the street certainly isn't. Leave the protection to those who are paid and trained to protect.

Â