Gun violence in the USA

Marka Ragnos

I think this issue will be near the top of the list of concerns for voters in November, and I think the Dems are going to demolish the GOP. If they can carry it over to 2020 and take down Trump or Pence, there is a chance to get something done. It needs to finally be viewed as a public health crisis along the lines of tobacco. If Big Tobacco can be constricted like they have, so can the NRA and gun manufacturers. A voluntary buyback scheme should be put in place right now, IMO, and it shouldn't be controversial. Make gun ownership a pain in the ass. Fees, insurance, safety/competency exams, and mental health screenings. A restriction on capacity, a restriction on caliber and on style of weapon.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, blandy said:

This isn't an original point, I'm sure, but if they banned ammunition, people could keep their expensive guns.....

I can't remember who it is but there's a comedian who says give guns to everyone - just make each bullet cost $10,000.

There'd be no innocent drive-by shooting victims.

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

I think this issue will be near the top of the list of concerns for voters in November, and I think the Dems are going to demolish the GOP. If they can carry it over to 2020 and take down Trump or Pence, there is a chance to get something done. It needs to finally be viewed as a public health crisis along the lines of tobacco. If Big Tobacco can be constricted like they have, so can the NRA and gun manufacturers. A voluntary buyback scheme should be put in place right now, IMO, and it shouldn't be controversial. Make gun ownership a pain in the ass. Fees, insurance, safety/competency exams, and mental health screenings. A restriction on capacity, a restriction on caliber and on style of weapon.

I fear you are dreaming here. The constitution blah blah blah :(

The suicide statistics alone suggest the banning of guns would save 10-20k lives per year, assuming the US would revert to something more akin to the UK etc. We need to stop focussing on these outlier extreme events and center more on the public health crisis angle. 

• 1 month later...

Another school shooting this morning. This time in Maryland.

(CNN)A shooting has been reported at Great Mills High School in Maryland, St. Mary's County Public Schools said on its website. 

"The school is on lock down," the school district said, and the incident has been contained. "The Sheriff's office is on the scene; additional information to follow."

There's also a bombing campaign currently taking place in Austin that everyone seems to be just ignoring. 3, potentially 4 bombs sent so far. Ted Kaczynski must have a fanclub.

• Like 1

I believe the real tactic is to have a couple of days of thoughts and prayers, followed by a day or two of negotiating with the NRA for a new "campaign donation" then shrugging and saying that nothing can be done because laws are not an effective deterrent and if you can hold out for the full week you will have another school shooting to have thoughts and prayers about.  The sad fact is that if you don't talk about shootings in schools really quickly after the event you will never be able to as the next one is on you so quickly. 

Updated 1940 GMT (0340 HKT) March 8, 2018

(CNN)We're only nine weeks into 2018, and there have already been at least 14 school shootings in the US. That averages out to 1.5 shooting a week.

The parameters CNN followed in this count are:
  • A shooting that involved at least one person being shot (not including the shooter)
  • A shooting that occurred on school grounds
  • We included grades K through college/university level
  • We included gang violence, fights and domestic violence
  • We included accidental discharge of a firearm as long as the first two parameters are met

one a week

5 hours ago, Chindie said:

There's also a bombing campaign currently taking place in Austin that everyone seems to be just ignoring. 3, potentially 4 bombs sent so far. Ted Kaczynski must have a fanclub.

Blast at FedEx  near the airport in Austin today.

7 hours ago, Xann said:

The suspected Austin bomber, Mark Anthony Conditt, blew himself up when surrounded.

At least he was a white guy, and therefore not a terrorist.  That's a stroke of luck.

Â