Gun violence in the USA

Marka Ragnos

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

hmmm, not sure about history books forever, Columbine already out of the top ten and heading out of the top twenty

In 1996 when it happened it was the worst mass shooting in the world at that time. Not sure why you focused on that point of my post as it doesn't change the point of the post overall. 

Australia banned guns. 

It worked! 

Edited by Villan_of_oz

Just now, Villan_of_oz said:

In 1996 when it happened it was the worst mass shooting in the world at that time. Not sure why you focused on that point of my post as it doesn't change the point of the post overall. 

Australia banned guns. 

It worked! 

I focused on that, because I just can't get my head around the whole pointless waste of it all. The only way I can deal with it is to see the trivial cheap weirdness of it all.

The leaders of the country don't give a ****. The gun owners don't give a ****. Quite the opposite actually, they're probably watching the news, reading the headlines and thinking, oooh, I've got one of them but I've had the trigger mods to get more rounds out more quickly. All whilst touching themselves.

Genuinely alien to me and just the american's version of the suicide bomb. Sick people, killing other people, whilst lots of other people have kids in schools and carry on selling bombs and suicide belts.

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

I focused on that, because I just can't get my head around the whole pointless waste of it all. The only way I can deal with it is to see the trivial cheap weirdness of it all.

The leaders of the country don't give a ****. The gun owners don't give a ****. Quite the opposite actually, they're probably watching the news, reading the headlines and thinking, oooh, I've got one of them but I've had the trigger mods to get more rounds out more quickly. All whilst touching themselves.

Genuinely alien to me and just the american's version of the suicide bomb. Sick people, killing other people, whilst lots of other people have kids in schools and carry on selling bombs and suicide belts.

I hear you friend, sorry I was jumpy. I thought you were missing the point. 

It is indeed all very senseless. The American politicians entrusted to keep theit citizens safe are failing.

• Like 1

The largest school massacre in American history occurred in Michigan. I was living here almost 5 years before I found that out. Much like the riots in the 60s and many other things, those in power have no need to be reminded of these things, and those without power, well are without power. The culture over here is certainly unique.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster

• Like 1

11 hours ago, villa89 said:

Surprised it's taken so long for there to be another one.

There's been 18 school shootings in the US this year. 18. This year. Statistically, that's one every 2 1/2 days.

13 hours ago, MrDuck said:

There's been 18 school shootings in the US this year. 18. This year. Statistically, that's one every 2 1/2 days.

I think outlets reporting that 18 figure have been a bit lazy here , one of those school shootings was a man who committed suicide in his car with a gun whilst parked outside a school , a school that had been closed for 7 months !!

From that 18 , only  5 of them resulted in injury and can probably be accurately deemed as a “school shooting” incident 

I say only 5. , dont  get me wrong , the 5 count is still way to high and America needs to act on its gun control and laws 

Edited by tonyh29
changed fun control to gun control ..though maybe fun was correct to start with !!
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I think outlets reporting that 18 figure have been a bit lazy here , one of those school shootings was a man who committed suicide in his car with a gun whilst parked outside a school , a school that had been closed for 7 months !!

From that 18 , only  5 of them resulted in injury and can probably be accurately deemed as a “school shooting” incident 

I say only 5. , dont  get me wrong , the 5 count is still way to high and America needs to act on its fun control and laws 

This is more important than you may realize. Over here, the loons latch onto things like this to dis-credit the logical arguments. A little care is important. We need to know our enemy.

7 minutes ago, maqroll said:

But they're going to build us a wall.

Yeah I'm starting to think it should go the whole way round do the rest of the world a favour. 

Free emigration for anyone who wants to leave before the wall is complete. Safe passage to a land of no guns in schools.

I don't do hashtags but I have one.

#gunsdon'tkeepyousafe 

• Like 1

I find it really hard to not be flippant, because of the absurdity of the situation. 

This is no argument from the pro gun lobby apart from the pig headed, selfish 'protection' nonsense they spew every time an innocent life is taken by a gun. 

I guess I'm pig headed, because to me the answer is so simple. If people don't have mass access to incredibly dangerous weapons, then they can't use the weapons to kill people. 

Because of the widespread ownership of weapons, I guess it would be political suicide for any politician at the moment and nigh on impossible to put the genie back in the bottle and put in place restrictions. 

I wish the US media would stop creating a leaderboard every time things like this happen.

Every time a shooting happens the news does these two things;

1. Here is the shooters name and face. 
  2. This is how well his score tallies up with other shootings throughout history.

I really wish they would stop doing that as the idea of copycats is already a very real possibility, but giving them a reason to try and set the "high score" with their shooting makes these events escalate.

Fame through atrocity is already a thing and the more the media focus on the killer the more likely these events are to happen. Not everyone wants traditional fame, some want infamy as in today's society no one forgets the bad guys.

I don't mind the news reporting on these things, but they need to find a new way to report them, as currently they talk about these attacks as if there is some school shooting leaderboard and that's dangerous.    

• Like 3

Its never going to change over there too much money involved 

as sad as it sounds and brutal do you think they care that a few hundred kids that mean nothing to them will mean they will lose out on all that money they have invested in these gun manufacturing companies? 

• Like 1

Just now, Daweii said:

I wish the US media would stop creating a leaderboard every time things like this happen.

Every time a shooting happens the news does these two things;

1. Here is the shooters name and face. 
  2. This is how well his score tallies up with other shootings throughout history.

I really wish they would stop doing that as the idea of copycats is already a very real possibility, but giving them a reason to try and set the "high score" with their shooting makes these events escalate.

Fame through atrocity is already a thing and the more the media focus on the killer the more likely these events are to happen. Not everyone wants traditional fame, some want infamy as in today's society no one forgets the bad guys.

I don't mind the news reporting on these things, but they need to find a new way to report them, as currently they talk about these attacks as if there is some school shooting leaderboard and that's dangerous.    

spot on. the media do not care lets face it, it gives them something to write about. they are just increasing the problem when they do things like this 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sne said:

At least someone is making bank on this latest tragedy.

This bulletproof backpack is selling like crazy since the shooting. $200-500 and it can be yours.

0215-bulletproof-backpack-tmz-wm-7.jpg

Good grief

1 minute ago, KHV said:

Good grief

When I went to school my backpack came with a little foam square that you could sit on and not get a wet bum when out on a hike.

Times change I guess...

Â