Premier League Predictions 15/16 - How to proceed?

Chewie

Premier League Predictions 15/16 - How to proceed?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best way to record each persons prediction each week?

• A shared Google Documents Spreadsheet which everyone updates themselves each week
    • Continue using PasteBin (the test from last week)
    • Sod the lot of it, I can't even work out how to put my pants on in the morning

Hey guys,

I'm making a poll for this before we do this weeks predictions. Not sure how successful it'll be since people have a hard time reading the original posts anyway ;)

:excl: Do not post your predictions in here :excl:

:excl: Prediction thread for GW8 is here - http://www.villatalk.com/topic/14039-premier-league-predictions-1516-gw8/ :excl:

We can't just revert back to people posting into VT only because basically people don't follow the instructions, or the editor screws everything up, so...

Use a shared Google document.
This will mean that you'll just have to click the link in the original post to Google docs. From there you'll basically get to a spreadsheet where you fill out your name and put the scores in. You can then copy that into your VT prediction. The downside is that anyone will be able to adjust or mess with your scores.

Use Pastebin (from last week).
Instead of using Google docs, you copy my prediction from the original post and paste that into www.pastebin.com, you can then copy that back into your VT prediction. There is no danger of someone else altering your score.

Whatever way we decide, i'll still do all the points calculations in my private sheet along with the leaderboard etc.

Edited by Chewie

Humour me. Does the below work?

Chewie
Chelsea 1-1 Arsenal
Villa 2-2 WestBrom
Bournemouth 1-0 Sunderland
Newcastle 0-0 Watford
Stoke 1-3 Leicester
Swansea 1-2 Everton
ManCity 2-1 WestHam
Spurs 1-2 Palace
Liverpool 3-0 Norwich
Southampton 1-3 ManUtd

Because if it does, I created that in here, using the "Add Code" buttons (the less than greater than symbol) in the toolbox. Once presented with the HTML table, just paste the text in there and change the results as normal, then post.

• Like 2

Humour me. Does the below work?

Chewie
Chelsea 1-1 Arsenal
Villa 2-2 WestBrom
Bournemouth 1-0 Sunderland
Newcastle 0-0 Watford
Stoke 1-3 Leicester
Swansea 1-2 Everton
ManCity 2-1 WestHam
Spurs 1-2 Palace
Liverpool 3-0 Norwich
Southampton 1-3 ManUtd

Because if it does, I created that in here, using the "Add Code" buttons (the less than greater than symbol) in the toolbox. Once presented with the HTML table, just paste the text in there and change the results as normal, then post.

Yeah that worked, BOF. Let me then try and edit that in VT as a general user would...

Chewie
Chelsea 2-2 Arsenal
Villa 2-1 WestBrom
Bournemouth 2-0 Sunderland
Newcastle 1-0 Watford
Stoke 1-2 Leicester
Swansea 1-2 Everton
ManCity 1-1 WestHam
Spurs 1-9 Palace
Liverpool 4-0 Norwich
Southampton 1-27 ManUtd

My concern with just using VT is that when someone messes up they will try and correct that in the editor thus potentially messing it up even further. Then people copy and paste from the guys above them and the issue cascades down.

Edited by Chewie

Looks like you could be onto something BOF, my edit didn't seem to break anything at all. I actually tried something similar to this myself before by just copying and pasting from excel into the editor but it didn't allow me to write anything below.

Happy to give your solution a whirl for this week and see how it turns out, nice work, much appreciated :wub:

Edited by Chewie

This will mean that you'll just have to click the link in the original post to Google docs. From there you'll basically get to a spreadsheet where you fill out your name and put the scores in. You can then copy that into your VT prediction. The downside is that anyone will be able to adjust or mess with your scores.

I voted for Google docs.

Screenshot records: Just hit Shift-Command-3 on a Mac or Alt-Print Screen on Windows and -- voila -- the participant gets a time-stamped record of his or her scores on screen. I doubt people would mess with each other's scores, at least deliberately, but if it happened, one could simply produce the saved screenshot.

Edited by Plastic Man

I voted for Google docs.

Screenshot records: Just hit Shift-Command-3 on a Mac or Alt-Print Screen on Windows and -- voila -- the participant gets a time-stamped record of his or her scores on screen. I doubt people would mess with each other's scores, at least deliberately, but if it happened, one could simply produce the saved screenshot.

Fair enough my man, but i think you are being hopeful with people screenshotting stuff when they struggle with copying + pasting :P

I'm going to make the proper prediction thread later today, I think we'll try test using the code option that BOF pointed out, if it doesn't work then we'll revert back to PasteBin unless the Google Docs option gets a few more votes.

I appreciate the input nonetheless :)

• Like 1

Â