Tablet buying advice, please

mjmooney

OK. I'm thinking of buying the missus a 10" for Christmas...  :o

Tablet, that is. 

After the recent fiasco we had with a failed Win 10 installation that buggered our main 'living room' laptop, we've been using my music production laptop instead, and I want it back in the mancave. I was thinking that a 10" tablet would probably be a better idea than another laptop. Main uses would be web browsing, email, social media.. But also the very occasional bit of word processing (writing letters, etc.) 

I was thinking of going Android as we both have Android phones, but I'm wondering about compatibility with our older files (MS Office stuff mainly). 

Max budget £400, but preferably cheaper! First thoughts were a Galaxy Tab S or a Google Nexus 10. 

Thoughts, guys? 

Not the Nexus 10, it's 3 years old. If you go the Nexus route you'll have to settle for the 9.

I'm a bit more partial to the Sony tablets than Samsung but the Z4 ones are rather expensive here

Second the recommendation for the Sony Xperia Z tablets. However, a Chromebook would probably serve your needs too.

The comment about older files needs some attention. Stop using them. Convert them to Google Docs and you can edit them with anything that has a browser. You can export them as word docs or PDFs if you want or need to.

• Like 1

If it's not very personal (like passwords and dick-pics) I'm all for third-party cloud storage, But as with everything stored, one needs to put stuff in two different places. Dropbox for example has cleaned my cloud-space once.

And I echo Simons suggestion of a chromebook. They are very handy, cheap, and very fast. I gave my motherinlaw a celeron one and it runs like a Core I7 for what it does

I have the Nexus 9 for almost the exact same purpose, mostly use it for emails relating to college and playing Football Manager, no complaints at all on the performance of it, think it's a lovely bit of kit. Recently got my grubbies on a Bluetooth keyboard too which has only made it even easier to use. Only concern I would raise is the battery life, particularly when ruining something quite intensive (Football Manager) can be quite short.

• Like 1

OK. I'm thinking of buying the missus a 10" for Christmas...  :o

Tablet, that is. 

After the recent fiasco we had with a failed Win 10 installation that buggered our main 'living room' laptop, we've been using my music production laptop instead, and I want it back in the mancave. I was thinking that a 10" tablet would probably be a better idea than another laptop. Main uses would be web browsing, email, social media.. But also the very occasional bit of word processing (writing letters, etc.) 

I was thinking of going Android as we both have Android phones, but I'm wondering about compatibility with our older files (MS Office stuff mainly). 

Max budget £400, but preferably cheaper! First thoughts were a Galaxy Tab S or a Google Nexus 10. 

Thoughts, guys? 

I'm buying my missus an Xperia Z tablet for Christmas, from my research they seem really reliable and probably the best on the Android market.

If you decide to go for a tablet, the Nexus 9 is £199 at Argos. Bit of a bargain.

The Ztabs are expensive, but they are waterproof, well supported by Sony in terms of Android version and have a very lightweight "skin" (very little bloat added)..

• Like 1

If you decide to go for a tablet, the Nexus 9 is £199 at Argos. Bit of a bargain.

The Ztabs are expensive, but they are waterproof, well supported by Sony in terms of Android version and have a very lightweight "skin" (very little bloat added)..

Yikes, that nexus is a bargain. Good find.

I think Amazon had some one day price drop on them not long back too, might be imagining it though

Noticed this was down to £179.99 when I walked past Argos earlier.

• 1 year later...
46 minutes ago, Xela said:

Ordered a Kindle Fire tablet for £47.99 off Amazon. Can't argue at the price. If it shit then will give it someone! 

The only real downside is that you don't have the Google Play Store. And the only way around it means opening your device to all kinds of nasties.

18 hours ago, Xela said:

Ordered a Kindle Fire tablet for £47.99 off Amazon. Can't argue at the price. If it shit then will give it someone! 

They aren't bad at all. Got one last year when they were £35 for my daughter and it's been great, well built and reasonable snappy.

• Like 1

Â