Pre match thread

Arj Guy

I can't see where the next win is coming from.

This is exactly what I said after the Liverpool game. I really feel our lack of points in the opening fixtures will harm us this season. Tim can hide behind the fact we're a brand new side who are developing, but this brand new side has been in some very good situations to get points (see Palace away, Leics away and Sunderland at home) and yet the decisions (substitutions) made by our management team have directly unsettled that progress and led to a repetitive pattern of throwing away points. There's definitely been individual errors in those games, but with more astute tactics, or even basic knowledge of how to hang on to what we have, then we would be in a far more comfortable state. As it stands, our players seemingly have no confidence, no leadership and we know we only have one half of good football in us - because as soon as an opponents manager needs to react they all out think Sherwood and come away with the points.

We learnt nothing from the positives of Tuesday, judging by Saturday - and it feels as though we're relying on luck more than quality to try and steal a win. I cannot see Saturday being anything but a comfortable ride for Stoke - and that would be the case no matter who we were playing.

• Like 2

Can't remember the last time we beat Stoke at home. I think we'll lose and Villa Park will become toxic

December 2009. 1-0, John Carew.  5 games since.  Drew 2 Lost 3 (and the losses are the 3 most recent fixtures).

Edited by BOF

It's always darkest before the light ... or something like that.  All I want is a starting 11 that makes sense, substitutions that make sense, no stupid defensive mistakes and a positive attitude.  The rest I can take.  That's not asking a whole lot is it?

how would your starting XI look just out of interest?

I just don't rate Hutton. While Bacuna can sometimes look below par, I think he's still better than Hutton, who just flatters to deceive.  Otherwise those 2 teams I fully agree with BOF. Well, maybe Traore in for Grealish, who's showing a bit of inexperience lately.

• Like 1

Hutton is comfortably better than Bacuna. Apart from the odd flash of brilliance, Bacuna is a liability.

I like your teams, BOF. I'd have Westwood in for Veretout at the moment. I'd expect, if he realises his potential, Veretout to eventually take the position away from Westwood. But I think he has a way to go yet.

If we need more bite

aa58c66e6016f54f082409bb65ce573b.png

But the subs can be so important.  I've no problem with Ayew replacing Gil if he justifies it.  Or Ilori/Crespo over Hutton.  But as it stands I'd like to start with one of the above, and see where we go from there.

Id go with Traore over Gil in that team, this is what I would like against Stoke or maybe a 3-5-2 like I suggested on the previous page

Have lost all hope.  

I was slightly optimistic that we were showing promising signs (albeit for only 45-60 mins at a time) and that it was bound to click soon.  I felt we deserved more points than we have and with a bit more luck might be comfortably mid-table.

But...there seems to be no consistency from any player (possibly Richards aside) - everyone is blowing hot (warm?) then cold, no sign of a settled 'first' team, incoherent set-ups and substitutions.

I knew this team would take time, but there doesn't seem to be any positive direction.  If I felt it was heading towards a style /shape I could see I might have more belief but we look rudderless - relying on the odd bit of individual flair.  I expected a rollercoaster season under Tim, but that would need to have ups as well.  It's not working.

A loss and Tim to walk, a la Keegan for England.

• Like 1

There is so much pressure on the side now, a team like Stoke at home is the last game I would want to play next, despite their poor start.

We do have talent, and it would seem its only a matter of time before we get our first maximum at home but lose this one and it will look a long way back. We need this so bad going into the international break given the daunting group of games we have when the league gets going again.

Just dont play Lescott please.

Win, we go above them and there might be some light at the end of the tunnel, lose we go 5pts behind and may get cut adrift with whats to come next.

That said, think we'll get a point, which ultimately still isn't enough.

1-1 (Gestede)