Algeria? Anyone?

chrisp65

I've been offered a trip to Algeria, looking over a few construction sites. All a bit vague at the moment.

Whilst I'm usually up for a bit of travel, my gut reaction on this one is to politely pass up the opportunity.

Foreign office travel advice doesn't exactly fill me with confidence either. 

Anybody out there able to assure me it's all fantastic peace and love out there?

I've looked at going there a few times as its a country I've not been to before ...family were away one weekend and I was at work on the Friday  night ready to go for it and book  the Saturday morning flight , then found out you need a visa so that was my spur of the moment thing gone .

My mate went there for work and said it was a bit dodge and he's been on trips with me to the Wild West without batting  an eyelid  so that says a lot to me at least ... I'd imagine events at the moment make it even more of a think twice destination at this moment .

The Big name hotels seem to a way out  of town and  like Fort Knox which also suggest to me it's not the safest place you can visit ..

If it's easy to get a visa and you decide to go then I might join you out there for that beer and increase my odds of survival by 50% :)

How fast can you run? I don't need to be able to run fast, just faster than one other - that's been my strategy for life so far.

I had a dabble with working in Libya 15 years ago (The Great Man Made River Project). Got as far as Malta and the Libyans insisted on having meetings in moving cars. That put me off. This time around it feels more serious than circus. So a lovely idea, but I'm 95% no at the moment.

'Never say never' was my first response on the phone. Going to meet up with them on Tuesday and see how it all feels. I'll get a free coffee out of it at least.

mate I went Algeria two ago for my friends wedding and if you want me to be brutally honest its horrible place. firstly be warned flies, there are millions of them. you will go to resturants and when they bring bread out will have flies on it! This is normal to them over there. Food hygiene is non existant over there. I lost weight because I hardly ate. 

the people were the most laziest people I have ever experienced. you walk into a shop and they dont want to serve you its incredible. never experianced anything like it in all my life. 

furthermore we were staying in Oran, we were told by our friends family its a short drive from algiers it was a 5 hour drive!!!!!!! one straight (endless) road in the middle of a desert with no air con!!!

the beach, wow I have never been to such busy beaches in all my life! You could not see the sand it was that busy. 

finally its not safe at all, the amount of problems we were having for being non-french speaking was just ridiculous. honestly buddy i dont want to be negative but it seriously is the pits would never go again, dont wnat you wasting your money. 

Meeting about it tomorrow morning - but they'd have to pull something spectacular out of the bag for it to be a viable project.

When we said it wasn't an automatic no, that we were thinking about it and asked for more clarity on fees, they suggested we worked first and then get paid. That was when we said no. They've asked for a meet up tomorrow, so whatever, nothing to lose.

Work on the job remotely and get a local to walk around with a camera!

Â