Jump to content

The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)


blandy
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Moderator
39 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

 

"If they are paying more in tax, maybe they have less money to spend on petrol?"

Real vote winner in the under 30s. It might have the opposite effect and push people from not voting in the relevant age groups (which is quite high) to a f**k you vote for the opposition

My daughter 2 years out of Uni has just hit the threshold after a payrise, I'm sure she'll be delighted with the subsequent paycut

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
45 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

The threshold for me in Poland is like 6000 GBP a year. If they lower that... I'm already far over it and pay through the nose.

Based on some nonsense "analysis" about the relative cost of living in each country, because it's what three times cheaper to live in Poland than the UK? Is it ****.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Tbh, when it comes to plan 2 loans for British residents, the repayment thresholds are fairly generous, you don't pay back a penny until you earn over £28,800 per year which is about the average salary. I would be strongly against changing it retrospectively however, especially alongside raising NI, and the universal income cuts.

If they do want to change the terms, it should be done via a "plan 3" taking effect for future students only, not pulling the rug under people who took on the loans under different terms. It's no surprise that a government so willing to turn its back on international agreements thinks nothing of unilaterally changing the terms of a deal with its own people, though.  

 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

Based on some nonsense "analysis" about the relative cost of living in each country, because it's what three times cheaper to live in Poland than the UK? Is it ****.

Yeah it's madness, and completely outdated based on the current CoL here, and inflation rates.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So a government minister is telling the public not to panic buy fuel. That worked really well during the pandemic didn't it.  So its a great idea to issue exactly the same advice again 🤔 incompetent fools.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, dubbs said:

So a government minister is telling the public not to panic buy fuel. That worked really well during the pandemic didn't it.  So its a great idea to issue exactly the same advice again 🤔 incompetent fools.

I think the problem is most people don't even realise they're panic buying.

"Oh well I'm just topping up my tank even though I don't really need it, that's not panic buying"

When actually yes it is. That's the exact problem

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It'll all blow over in a couple of days won't it? Fuel demand is fairly inelastic. People travel as much as they need to. Millions of people aren't going to take up recreational driving just because they'be bought extra in the last few days, so demand ought to ease off as all the nobheads topped up a few days early and don't need to refuel over the next few days.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Moderator
4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I think the problem is most people don't even realise they're panic buying.

"Oh well I'm just topping up my tank even though I don't really need it, that's not panic buying"

When actually yes it is. That's the exact problem

Slightly disagree with this, I think that might be peoples public justification but they absolutely know they are doing it.

Friday night, just before work I'm putting my standard tenner in before I start work and three different people are on the forecourt looking sheepish and guilty especially when they look at a taxi queuing for fuel. They know what they are doing is wrong and they know it'll f*** over people like me who need fuel to work but they'll still do it.

If the old woman I saw yesterday in front of me didn't know what she was doing topping up her tank with a fiver (two quid of which went on the forecourt) I'd be shocked

Most of these whoppers know exactly what they are doing. SOme of them even look guilty when they are doing it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, bickster said:

Slightly disagree with this, I think that might be peoples public justification but they absolutely know they are doing it.

Friday night, just before work I'm putting my standard tenner in before I start work and three different people are on the forecourt looking sheepish and guilty especially when they look at a taxi queuing for fuel. They know what they are doing is wrong and they know it'll f*** over people like me who need fuel to work but they'll still do it.

If the old woman I saw yesterday in front of me didn't know what she was doing topping up her tank with a fiver (two quid of which went on the forecourt) I'd be shocked

Most of these whoppers know exactly what they are doing. SOme of them even look guilty when they are doing it

Oh some of them do for sure.

But I think a lot of people will see the queues etc and think "oh I'll just go and stick 20 quid in just in case" blissfully unaware that they are contributing to the problem.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Someone just made a post on a local facebook group notifying everyone that Asda has fuel and the queue wasn’t too bad.

no-words-speechless.gif

Yep, These type of posts are a huge part of the problem

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • VT Supporter
2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I'm alright because I work from home, but my car is on the fuel light and I really want to get back in to my gym routine. It's a good excuse for a few days, at least. 

Run to the gym. Get two exercises for the price of one. 

Edited by Rds1983
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â