The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I’m confused why the old footage of Biden, who has Irish heritage, saying “I’m Irish” is going viral? 

You'll have to excuse the gaps in my knowledge here but as an addition to what others have posted, it's kind of 2 fingers to the British establishment. Lots of east coast Americans with Irish ancestry still have republican roots so will lean much more towards the Irish against the British government. The English press linked Bill Clinton to the IRA and are doing the same with Biden already. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, darrenm said:

You'll have to excuse the gaps in my knowledge here but as an addition to what others have posted, it's kind of 2 fingers to the British establishment. Lots of east coast Americans with Irish ancestry still have republican roots so will lean much more towards the Irish against the British government. 

I was listening to an interview with Sir Christopher Meyer, the former UK ambassador to the US (a complete Brexit throbber, but I'd be inclined to trust what he says on UK / US relations), he said that there are only two countries in the world with the diplomatic clout to influence US policy at a domestic level - Israel and Ireland. 

• Like 1

More corruption

Revealed: £670,000 Of Taxpayer Cash Given To PR Firm With Links To Cummings’ Family

A boss at the PR firm handed £670,000 of taxpayers’ cash by the government’s vaccine tsar works with Dominic Cummings’ father-in-law and runs a caviar company, where he touts himself as an expert on “indulgence”.

Angus Collingwood-Cameron is the company secretary of Admiral Associates, which has reportedly been hired by the under-fire head of the government’s vaccine taskforce, Kate Bingham, to oversee her media strategy.

Company filings reveal that Collingwood-Cameron is also a director at the Chillingham Wild Cattle Association, which is run by Sir Humphry Wakefield, the father-in-law of Boris Johnson’s top aide.

Collingwood-Cameron further runs Caspian Caviar, where he became involved “due to his love of the good things in life”, and is “happy to advise on indulgence”, according to the firm’s website.

The Liberal Democrats said the revelations “beggar belief” and called for Bingham to quit, while Labour said the public deserve “urgent answers” on the contract.

It came after the Sunday Times reported that Bingham, who is married to Tory minister Jesse Norman, had already spent £500,000 on a team of eight full-time consultants from London PR agency Admiral Associates.

They are contracted to the end of the year, which means each consultant is being paid more than £83,000 for about half a year’s work – more than the prime minister’s average salary, the report said.

Whitehall insiders have indicated that Bingham is expected to leave her role when her contract expires at the end of the year.

Liberal Democrat peer Lord Scriven said the contract for Admiral Associates was a “colossal waste” of taxpayers’ money.

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

It came after the Sunday Times reported that Bingham, who is married to Tory minister Jesse Norman, had already spent £500,000 on a team of eight full-time consultants from London PR agency Admiral Associates.

They are contracted to the end of the year, which means each consultant is being paid more than £83,000 for about half a year’s work – more than the prime minister’s average salary, the report said.

An even more impressive waste of money, given you'd think the best PR advice she could have been given was "don't spent half a million pounds of taxpayers' money on PR companies".

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

The biggest assembly of dodgy bastards this country has ever witnessed.  Absolute slags, this government.

As a stop gap emergency measure I could see it being better than nothing, but we're 8 months in to this madness, spending billions on PPE contrasts for well connected friends of the tories, and this is what they end up with?

"Please clap!"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Liberal Democrat peer Lord Scriven said the contract for Admiral Associates was a “colossal waste” of taxpayers’ money.

He's correct, it is a waste of taxpayer money but I'd hate to see what adjectives he uses to describe the much bigger fraudulent use of our taxes that the Tories have been up to. Some of the money handed out dwarfs this by huge margins.

I'm not saying this isn't important because it is but this one is a mere single sugar strand on top of the Tory Trifle of Sleaze

On 10/11/2020 at 11:21, ml1dch said:

This seems to be too ridiculous to be true (particularly considering the original source), but as so often with this bunch of incompetents...

This has been bothering me since you posted it. There's no vaguely sensible way this could have happened other than someone deliberately doing it because they wanted to leave the message vaguely visible, right?

There's no good reason to overlay one message on top of the other. If anything it's harder to do, and no tools default to 99% opacity. I can only imagine it was someone doing it deliberately. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

This has been bothering me since you posted it. There's no vaguely sensible way this could have happened other than someone deliberately doing it because they wanted to leave the message vaguely visible, right?

It's been bothering me too. Because if the above is true, the next question is why? 

I can't imagine either side in the USA really give a toss either way.

But if they thought "we can show Trump that we thought he might win", then he'll still be pissy about all the other "Welcome Joe Biden" stuff. And the Biden camp are unlikely to see "foreign Government prepares for the fact that his opponent might win an election" as something heinous.

If it was deliberate it just seems the most pointless deliberate thing imaginable. 

Edited by ml1dch

Â