The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

32 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'd been looking forward to seeing what @tonyh29 made of this farce. You didn't disappoint 

I’ve not made a comment on this “farce”

I made a comment on the inconsistency of a poster writing to his MP when seemingly he hasn’t had any urge to write to anyone else about other people’s actions during lockdown .

Cummings actions * I’ve made no comment on nor have I offered any opinion , so I can only assume  you were looking forward to me saying nothing :)

As we are going down this route , it’s The echo chamber that isn’t failing to disappoint,  I could have predicted most responses without even needing to come into the thread 

edit - actually I did make a comment about his press conference so I’ve added the word “actions” 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’ll be honest, I’d expected Kinnock to be in there.

Grealish blindsided me.

Ha.... I went off script , thats  what happens when you don’t do twitter :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I made a comment on the inconsistency of a poster writing to his MP when seemingly he hasn’t had any urge to write to anyone else about other people’s actions during lockdown .

Cummings I’ve made no comment on nor have I offered any opinion , so I can only assume  you were looking forward to me saying nothing :)

As we are going down this route , it’s The echo chamber that isn’t failing to disappoint,  I could have predicted most responses without even needing to come into the thread 

So what should I have done?

Wait for years and hope Cairns knocks on my door asking for my vote?

I genuinely don’t see what you can think is wrong with someone trying to communicate with their local MP on something that impacts me that he has a potential influence on. 

I get what you say about echo chamber, but seriously, rather than bang on about it in here all day then actually do nothing in real life, I’ve written to my MP.

Do you really think I was wrong to do so? 

Just now, tonyh29 said:

Ha.... I went off script , thats  what happens when you don’t do twitter :)

You’ll have to believe me on my twitter, it’s a fairly mixed bag, not 100% echo chamber.

I follow people from all parties, from Gwlad, The WNP, Plaid, Labour, Greens and yes even tories. I follow friends from the football that supported Brexit and a local right wing gay blogger. I follow a disabled equal opportunities tory campaigner. I find those alternative takes fascinating. But mostly its historians, record shops, satellites, geology and gravestones. I don’t do facebook.

I’m really not getting a social media bubble from twitter. It’s usually Mark Drakeford getting the kicking on there, Cummings has knocked him off top spot.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Cummings I’ve made no comment on nor have I offered any opinion , so I can only assume  you were looking forward to me saying nothing :)

Actually you did. You made a comment insinuating it had become a bit like a Little Britain sketch that was a pisstake of farcical excuses. 

You did also comment on Cummings when posting the video. Also, I think you've made your thoughts on unelected bureaucrats quite clear over the past few years. :)

Complain about the echo chamber all you want, I don't go in Facebook groups to complain that most people there don't agree with my political views. If I were to transparently attempt to wind people up I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone were to defend their views.

Edited by blandy
mod edit
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Was Grealish devising the government's public health policy?

Was Kinnock?

Tbf , It might have been better had Grealish been devising  it ...

i get they have different positions in society , I kinda acknowledged that in my original post , it’s just this essentially hounding people out of jobs kind of bandwagon because that pisses me off ... he misread a situation and made an error of judgement ,lots of people do , should we demand every one that does this be sacked ? 

6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

You’ll have to believe me on my twitter, it’s a fairly mixed bag, not 100% echo chamber.

I follow people from all parties, from Gwlad, The WNP, Plaid, Labour, Greens and yes even tories. I follow friends from the football that supported Brexit and a local right wing gay blogger. I follow a disabled equal opportunities tory campaigner. I find those alternative takes fascinating. But mostly its historians, record shops, satellites, geology and gravestones. I don’t do facebook.

I’m really not getting a social media bubble from twitter. It’s usually Mark Drakeford getting the kicking on there, Cummings has knocked him off top spot.

To clarify , The echo chamber comment was really aimed at in here (bolitics threads ) generally , rather than at any individual 

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

To clarify , The echo chamber comment was really aimed at in here (bolitics threads ) generally , rather than at any individual 

But you don’t think I should have contacted my local MP?

33 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

So what should I have done?

Wait for years and hope Cairns knocks on my door asking for my vote?

I genuinely don’t see what you can think is wrong with someone trying to communicate with their local MP on something that impacts me that he has a potential influence on. 

I get what you say about echo chamber, but seriously, rather than bang on about it in here all day then actually do nothing in real life, I’ve written to my MP.

Do you really think I was wrong to do so? 

No , if it’s something you feel strongly about then you are free to do as exactly as you did , irrespective of my views on the matter ....  I’m a laid back sorta guy , I’m not one for waving placards  , writing to my MP or vandalising McDonalds  in the name of my political convictions ... I just kinda think though if you felt that strongly about Cummings actions ( rather than Cummings perhaps ) that it would have been more consistent to write to whoever  , about every act of transgression 

Edited by tonyh29

I do feel strongly about Cummings actions. I feel more strongly about the blatant disregard for his own rules. the man attends SAGE meetings and advises the Prime Minister and is lying about his open actions during a pandemic.

He is central to this and we are being taken for fools. So I’ve expressed an opinion to my local tory MP, he should have a direct line to tory Westminster on this, if there is any democracy at play here.

It’s literally life and death, my parents live at a tourist resort, tourists park outside their house to walk to the beach. My friends’ businesses have gone under and they are looking for jobs. I’m genuinely angry somebody that is central to the policy has utterly undermined it. 

I don’t know what the placard and McDonald’s stuff is about, I guess it’s kind of Grealish related.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

it would have been more consistent to write to whoever  , about every act of transgression

I would say that's just silly but it's a particular tactic used to undermine any action that someone takes.

If they didn't do it on each and every occasion then doing it on one occasion (even allowing for slightly or totally different circumstances) is being inconsistent and therefore open to criticism.

It is, obviously, impossible for an individual to write to whoever about every act of transgression (whether or not they are comparable which, in this case, they aren't) even allowing for the deployment of infinite monkeys over an infinite time period.

I think Murdoch & co have decided to remind Boris who's really boss. They may engineer his demise as leader. But you can bet that in four years' time they'll be back right behind a Tory election campaign. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I think Murdoch & co have decided to remind Boris who's really boss. They may engineer his demise as leader. But you can bet that in four years' time they'll be back right behind a Tory election campaign. 

The Tories usually find a way to get rid of a liability sooner or later. Generally sooner.

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The Tories usually find a way to get rid of a liability sooner or later. Generally sooner.

Indeed. Let's face it, hardly any of their MPs wanted him as leader, it was the rank and file gammons who put him there (uncannily similar to what happened with Labour and Corbyn). I suspect he's a dead man walking. 

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Indeed. Let's face it, hardly any of their MPs wanted him as leader, it was the rank and file gammons who put him there (uncannily similar to what happened with Labour and Corbyn). I suspect he's a dead man walking. 

Hang on, that's not quite right. Johnson won by far the largest number of nominating MP's in the leadership contest *and* won big amongst the membership. Corbyn only won the members. Johnson was a hugely popular pick with the majority of the party (which was how he was able to sell a Brexit deal that was actually worse for the party than May's - because they trusted and liked him, and they didn't her).

On the latter point, you may be right, or he may just have sustained a lot of damage. My guess is that even if he is going to be replaced before the next election, the Tories will wait until the Brexit process is clearly finished (so his successor can blame him for any failures).

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

As I understand it , The early rounds are voted for by sitting Tory MP’s only until only 2 remain.

The rank and file as you refer to them only get a say in the last round ( for the record Johnson got two thirds of the votes here ) , so yes of course they put him there , that’s the way their leadership works ..

I don’t believe it to be similar to the Labour leader election process but I’m happy to be corrected as it’s not something  I know much /anything about ( from memory Corbyn won  across the board  members and supporters ) 

to the “hardly any MP’s wanted him “ line ...looking at the early rounds , Johnson won 114 votes in round one , the second candidate received 43 , Johnson received almost as many votes as the 2nd to 4th  place candidates combined and his vote then increased in every round as people dropped out ending with over 50% in the final round 

for comparison in 2005 Cameron received 28% of MP votes in round one with 4 candidates , Johnson received 36 % of the vote with 10 contenders 

so , i don’t think it’s true to really to say  “hardly any” of their MP’s wanted him

edit - seems I took to long on my research and got beaten to it ... D’oh 

Edited by tonyh29

Â