The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

22 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Max Johnson owns Lendlease ? 

I don't know if he owns shares Tone, or his bonus arrangements?

Interestingly Max and a UK Huawei chap started some sort of fund together too.

Nasty Nige, of all people, picked up on the Johnson family's compromised position.

Nigel Farage exposes Boris Johnson’s secret family link influencing 'disastrous' policy

NIGEL FARAGE has claimed to reveal the source behind Boris Johnson's "disastrous" Huawei decision, attributing it to the influence of his family who all have links to China and do not see it as a "potential threat"...

... Mr Farage said: “I’ve talked in the past about the advisory board to Huawei being full of senior, former, CBI types, big business types, former civil servants.

“David Cameron, the former Prime Minister, is an interlocutor between the Chinese Government and the British Government.

“Have a think about this: the Johnson family. Boris Johnson makes the decision to involve Huawei in 5G.

“Stanley Johnson recently had a 90-minute meeting with the Chinese ambassador in London. It was apparently for environmental issues. What label he had on, I have no idea.”

Express

China have worked out where the UK's weak spot is, right enough.

Edited by Xann
Link added

20 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I missed the result of the inquiry  , when did they publish it ? 

At the same time you wigged out and completely didn't read the bit that said "I don't get the impression that..."

1 minute ago, Xann said:

I don't know if he owns shares Tone, or his bonus arrangements?

I couldn’t find any link to Max and HS 2 when I googled it ( I’m working from home and bored )

he owns MJ capital but that seems to be about trade between UK and China rather than building projects and 5G ...even the Farage  story seems to be built around nudge nudge wink wink and no actual evidence ...

it could all be true and it wouldn’t be a huge shock to find it was , but I’d expect a bit more than Nigel says as proof of all this 

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

At the same time you wigged out and completely didn't read the bit that said "I don't get the impression that..."

I’m not sure you are following this closely  ... the poster stated a fact thatPatel was a bully , I asked when were the results of the inquiry published 

his impression of Hunt isn’t relevant here 

the poster even came back and said his mind was made up and Patel is a bully , so it’s not like he hasn’t been equivocal on the matter 

45 minutes ago, leighavfc said:

Anybody could see that 330 billion is more than 300 billion without a second of thinking time needed. My point being that this alone tells you investment is higher than what Macron is providing without going into any sort of breakdown.

Those were purely the numbers in relation to the respective loan guarantee schemes I think Sunak said.

There are other things which make up the differing interventions (the utilities stuff in France - higher cash grants in the UK v French cash grants as per Sunak's reply) and so these things do require more than a second of thinking time.

It may be that Liz Kendall didn't give it enough time but, as for being armed with facts and figures, part of the point of those committees is not just to hold to account but also to draw out information that may not otherwise fully be out there or understood (often by committee members).

54 minutes ago, leighavfc said:

I'm probably being hypocritical here and should have armed myself with more info before commenting too

I wouldn't say that - I don't think you need to be so harsh on yourself.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

the poster stated a fact thatPatel was a bully

I really think you are taking an incorrect interpretation of the words but I'm not going to bore anyone with semantics

30 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

...couldn’t find any link to Max and HS 2 when I googled it

Yes! I found that too, and I already knew the contents!

I'm across three browsers and using different search engines now, because I'm finding Google in particular useless at controversial subjects.

Keep looking for now if you like? I remember whose feeds the links were on. I'm actually at work, though as of next week, maybe not so much?

I'll come back to this if you don't find it? We've got months to kill, after all.

• Like 1

Yesterday it was announcing 2.9 billion to help sort out bed blocking due to elderly and vulnerable people who are fit to go home but have no safe home to go to caused by this governments decimation of social care. Today the government are scrambling around frantically trying to ensure those who lose their jobs through no fault of their own or who have to go off sick due to coronavirus get enough money to live something which should already be in place and is called having a decent welfare safety net.

As I have said before you can't point the finger at the Tories for what has happened, and it is unrealistic to run a country to be capable of instantly dealing with something like this, but we did not have to be so ill prepared as we are.

• Like 4

Was I the only one that thought there was a war room somewhere with lever arch files of pre planning for every scenario from military invasion, massive internet hack, pandemic and financial crash.

We decided we didn’t need to be self sufficient in food as we could buy food with money from the service industries.

Turns out we do need food. Turns out our service industries will be 33% run on Chinese 5G.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

80% of salaries to be covered is truly excellent news.

It is but I think the question about people on zero hours contracts highlighted that there may well be people that are missed out - obviously the detail of the schemes might flesh that out a bit.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, snowychap said:

It is but I think the question about people on zero hours contracts highlighted that there may well be people that are missed out - obviously the detail of the schemes might flesh that out a bit.

Yes, direction of travel is very good.

Detail needed.

Same as those business loans announced 10 days ago that still can’t actually be applied for.

• Like 1

PIP helpline for Deaf claimants was out of action for six weeks… without DWP noticing

A key helpline that allows Deaf people and those with speech impairments to secure help with their disability benefit claims was out of action for at least six weeks, apparently without the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) even noticing.

Campaigners tried unsuccessfully for four weeks to call the DWP number using a textphone – a phone with a screen and keyboard which allows callers to exchange written messages with a similar device – but were always cut off before they could be put through to a helpline adviser.

The concerns have been raised by Rob McDowall, chair of Welfare Scotland, who has also asked DWP why it appears to have failed to monitor the personal independence payment (PIP) textphone helpline for weeks on end.

...more

A lot of people who have never been in need of DWP benefits before, many of whom have Daily Mail cultured views on scroungers and free loaders living the high life at the tax payers expense, are about to receive a harsh lesson about the realities of living under such conditions. 

23 hours ago, Xann said:

that's a little selective isn't it ?  .. it was an amendment tabled by Corbyn that was designed to vote down the Queens Speech ,  no government would ever vote for an opposition amendment and had it passed It could  potentially have brought down the government

So , I don't think anyone was cheering the blocking of pay rises for nurses  , though it goes without saying they could have perhaps foregone the usual HofC cheering a bill being defeated in this instance

• Like 2

Â