The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

Are we cancelling HS2 yet? We could do with the money.

I know Boris's brother Max Johnson's company is into it for £7 billion at the Euston end, but priorities change.

Seeing Jeremy Hunt on the TV now pretty much daily and in the select committee yesterday questioning why the NHS is not better prepared is a little surreal given he was the longest serving health secretary in history.

He was good enough to acknowledge yesterday though that we didn't train enough doctors and nurses and were wrong to decimate social care. Things that many people were telling him for years. Chickens coming home to roost.

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Honestly makes me livid to hear him talk about it.

What's interesting is that now 'freed' from cabinet responsibility and so on, he comes across as much less of a word removed. He also comes across as significantly better* than any of the actual cabinet.

None of that excuses, remotely, what he was responsible for, but I think it shows the serious flaws with both our political system and the tories in particular, as well as the individuals. If you can take an intelligent person who when not burdened by a specific role is apparently a capable person, but when they were give n a role and the restraints and responsibilities that go with that, they turn into a complete word, then it's more than just th tories being full of ambitious self-serving twunts and mouth-breathing dimwits.

Sadly Johnson is making things worse, by further centralising control.

*yes, yes, it's a low bar

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, blandy said:

What's interesting is that now 'freed' from cabinet responsibility and so on, he comes across as much less of a word removed. He also comes across as significantly better* than any of the actual cabinet.

None of that excuses, remotely, what he was responsible for, but I think it shows the serious flaws with both our political system and the tories in particular, as well as the individuals. If you can take an intelligent person who when not burdened by a specific role is apparently a capable person, but when they were give n a role and the restraints and responsibilities that go with that, they turn into a complete word, then it's more than just th tories being full of ambitious self-serving twunts and mouth-breathing dimwits.

Sadly Johnson is making things worse, by further centralising control.

*yes, yes, it's a low bar

I don't have anything against him personally, at least by the standard of other Tory MPs. He seems pleasant enough, in a sort of gormless toff fashion. I don't get the impression that he's a bully like Patel or a troll like Raab.

However nice he is or isn't though, he has some truly terrible opinions about how the government should be run, and spent years and years and years putting them into practice in the health service, and we're all paying the price now. The fact he can dimly see what a disaster he has caused should really be the cue for him to go into a quiet retirement and dedicate his life to charity in the manner of John Profumo or something.

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The fact he can dimly see what a disaster he has caused should really be the cue for him to go into a quiet retirement and dedicate his life to charity in the manner of John Profumo or something.

After a few years we'd probably find that Battersea Dogs Home had been closed down and sold off for flats. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

I missed the result of the inquiry  , when did they publish it ? 

Oh it didn’t get published, Johnson and Gove told us the result the same day they said there would be an investigation.

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I missed the result of the inquiry  , when did they publish it ? 

I have no idea whether they have or haven't published it. However, accusations that she is a relentless bully are absolutely not limited to her time in Parliament.

9 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I have no idea whether they have or haven't published it. However, accusations that she is a relentless bully are absolutely not limited to her time in Parliament.

I doubt VT cares tbh  , but accusations and actually being something are not the same thing ,  as Ben Bradley found out

5 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Seeing Jeremy Hunt on the TV now pretty much daily and in the select committee yesterday questioning why the NHS is not better prepared is a little surreal given he was the longest serving health secretary in history.

He was good enough to acknowledge yesterday though that we didn't train enough doctors and nurses and were wrong to decimate social care. Things that many people were telling him for years. Chickens coming home to roost.

He should be locked in a room with villalad21 till this is all over.

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I doubt VT cares tbh  , but accusations and actually being something are not the same thing ,  as Ben Bradley found out

I've made my mind up; I don't think people get accused of the same thing over multiple decades in different settings without plenty of truth to it.

You're free to come to a completely different conclusion if you want to.

30 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't think people get accused of the same thing over multiple decades in different settings without plenty of truth to it.

indeed,  just ask Jeremy Corbyn :)

• Haha 4

Grauniad:

Wholesale reform of a “reckless” and “defensive” Home Office is expected to be recommended in a hard-hitting review into the causes of the Windrush scandal when it is released by the home secretary on Thursday.

The Windrush Lessons Learned review is expected to criticise Home Office staff and government ministers for their continued failure to admit the magnitude of their mistakes and the scale of damage inflicted on thousands of legal UK residents who were wrongly classified as illegal immigrants, with catastrophic results.

Those involved in preparing the long-awaited report, which is understood to run to several hundred pages, were dismayed at the timing of the publication, at a moment when the attention of both politicians and the public is entirely preoccupied with the coronavirus emergency.

The report was submitted to the Home Office by its author, Wendy Williams, an inspector of constabulary, on Wednesday, after 20 months of work.

The home secretary, Priti Patel, decided to release it very swiftly and is due to make a statement to the House of Commons on the review and its recommendations on Thursday morning.

A leaked early version of the report seen by the Guardian indicated that the true scale of the scandal may still remain hidden because many people affected have so little trust in the Home Office that they are scared to come forward.

...rest on link

• Thanks 1

Loving Rishi Sunak... Labour were trying to points score on the emergency funding the government announced the other day. The Labour MP was saying we should be following France level of investment blah blah.... he completely shut her down with the figures and facts that we are actually providing per person 25 x more than France... seriously we need a opposition party 1000 times more competent than the numptys in the Labour party at the moment...

Here's the link 

God forbid if Rebecca Long Bailey gets in after her comments about her child running the house and being called King... f**k me we will get trampled on by every one!

Edited by leighavfc

44 minutes ago, leighavfc said:

Loving Rishi Sunak... Labour were trying to points score

She is on a parliamentary committee and she is doing what she is supposed to, i.e. questioning those who come before her and, especially, holding those representatives of the executive who come before committees to account.

Characterising it as 'point scoring' is rather suggesting that these questions shouldn't be asked. They absolutely should and if you watch enough parliamentary committees (and possibly if you watched all of that session but maybe not) you'd see similar questions being asked of ministers by backbench members of their own party, too.

She asked a question and he responded. He corrected her on one point, i.e. the 'quantum' of what was being done, but seemed to concede that there were other discussions to be had about where that 'quantum' was targetted (whilst not conceding to her on whether it would be better to have done other measures than those taken).

On the 90 second snippet, Sunak appeared to perform pretty well in that it looked as though he answered her question directly and quite clearly, and was in charge of the actual figures. I hope he performed equally as well throughout the rest of the questioning and that he provided knowledgeable, informative and honest responses. If he did then it would make a nice change for government ministers to be that competent and transparent especially in the middle of trying to deal with a crisis.

30 minutes ago, snowychap said:

She is on a parliamentary committee and she is doing what she is supposed to, i.e. questioning those who come before her and, especially, holding those representatives of the executive who come before committees to account.

Characterising it as 'point scoring' is rather suggesting that these questions shouldn't be asked. They absolutely should and if you watch enough parliamentary committees (and possibly if you watched all of that session but maybe not) you'd see similar questions being asked of ministers by backbench members of their own party, too.

She asked a question and he responded. He corrected her on one point, i.e. the 'quantum' of what was being done, but seemed to concede that there were other discussions to be had about where that 'quantum' was targetted (whilst not conceding to her on whether it would be better to have done other measures than those taken).

On the 90 second snippet, Sunak appeared to perform pretty well in that it looked as though he answered her question directly and quite clearly, and was in charge of the actual figures. I hope he performed equally as well throughout the rest of the questioning and that he provided knowledgeable, informative and honest responses. If he did then it would make a nice change for government ministers to be that competent and transparent especially in the middle of trying to deal with a crisis.

Yes admittedly I dont get much time to myself these days so I only catch what I can so not as knowledgeable about this as others will be. Willing to be educated where I can about it though!

I shouldnt have labelled it point scoring as you say, and yes questions should always be asked and challenged. Totally agreed here.

Anybody could see that 330 billion is more than 300 billion without a second of thinking time needed. My point being that this alone tells you investment is higher than what Macron is providing without going into any sort of breakdown. I would like to think that these people go in armed with facts and figures to challenge though, based on just that clip suggested she hadn't even checked. Again I could be wrong but that's how it come across to me.

I dont take to many politicians... if any in this day and age but think Sunak is likeable from the short time we have seen him. Not many make this impression on me as in general a lot of them in my opinion are self righteous morons.

Again I'm only basing my point on that small snippet I have seen and perhaps will benefit watching more where I can. I do struggle to listen to some of the waffling but that's more me. I'm probably being hypocritical here and should have armed myself with more info before commenting too 😂

Edited by leighavfc
  • Like 1

On 17/03/2020 at 10:40, Xann said:

Are we cancelling HS2 yet? We could do with the money.

I know Boris's brother Max Johnson's company is into it for £7 billion at the Euston end, but priorities change.

Max Johnson owns Lendlease ? 

Â