The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

46 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I would say I can't believe how badly they've handled Covid-19 but I'd be lying.

Depends what angle your viewing it from.

As an ordinary, helpless member of the public - absolutely.  It's a mess.

As a Toby Young / Dominic Cummings eugenics, social experiment nutjob - it's going exactly to plan.

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

As a Toby Young / Dominic Cummings eugenics, social experiment nutjob - it's going exactly to plan.

It's at times like this that you do get a bit more concerned than normal that the last 'scientist' Dominic Cummings fell in love with was a blog competition winner with his own set of calipers. 

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

out of interest , what would you have liked our government to do ?  would you have shut down the country and closed schools  , stopped flights etc ? 

there's already panic buying today in advance of what they think Johnson is going to say later today   , I don't think I've ever seen such over reaction  , Instead of reason &  rationality,  people seem to be advocating panic and fear, when it should be about  striking a balance between protecting health and preventing economic and social disruption ...

It's a puzzle, the government say they are being evidence / expert led, but there appear to many articles from epidemiologists etc who insist we need to institute action now. I think that ought to be happening, but honestly, that's just based on weighing up the balance of a few articles I've read. I'm not sure I can be sufficiently certain to insist on the current path being disgraceful etc. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rodders said:

It's a puzzle, the government say they are being evidence / expert led, but there appear to many articles from epidemiologists etc who insist we need to institute action now. I think that ought to be happening, but honestly, that's just based on weighing up the balance of a few articles I've read. I'm not sure I can be sufficiently certain to insist on the current path being disgraceful etc. 

One thing is for sure, so far the action is 'lesser' than some of the less affected countries, i.e. Poland who have less than 50 confirmed cases, 1 death and they have already closed down schools etc.

Media 'panic' is also considerably lesser than over there. 

Again, I don't know if it's a bad or a good thing.

Edit: Slovakia has now closed it's borders, and they have 16 confirmed cases. UK is doing comparatively little to other nations. 

Edited by Mic09

6 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

out of interest , what would you have liked our government to do ?  would you have shut down the country and closed schools  , stopped flights etc ? 

there's already panic buying today in advance of what they think Johnson is going to say later today   , I don't think I've ever seen such over reaction  , Instead of reason &  rationality,  people seem to be advocating panic and fear, when it should be about  striking a balance between protecting health and preventing economic and social disruption ...

I'd have pied off sporting events already.  Advocate working from home wherever possible.  Work with supermarkets to help prevent stockpiling (rather than Matt Hancock lying about it).  Communicate more clearly about why it's important that everyone has some hand sanitiser rather than a few people having gallons of it.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

I'd have pied off sporting events already.  Advocate working from home wherever possible.  Work with supermarkets to help prevent stockpiling (rather than Matt Hancock lying about it).  Communicate more clearly about why it's important that everyone has some hand sanitiser rather than a few people having gallons of it.  

Fair points , but that doesn’t really tie in with the “how badly the government have handled this” line you appeared to be agreeing with  .. guess I was expecting more of something like I’d have shut airports , closed schools etc

i don’t think the government have been flawless but equally I don’t think that they have done as badly as suggested 

7 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

i don’t think the government have been flawless but equally I don’t think that they have done as badly as suggested 

Well that all depends on your belief of the outcome. In some quarters deliberately standing by whilst half a million people die could be considered some sort of genocide, especially when it will be shown that they've consistently lied to the people and not used clinical evidence as the basis but "behavioural science."

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Well that all depends on your belief of the outcome. In some quarters deliberately standing by whilst half a million people die could be considered some sort of genocide, especially when it will be shown that they've consistently lied to the people and not used clinical evidence as the basis but "behavioural science."

Genocide !!!   ...  have a word with yourself

10 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Fair points , but that doesn’t really tie in with the “how badly the government have handled this” line you appeared to be agreeing with  .. guess I was expecting more of something like I’d have shut airports , closed schools etc

I'd certainly have done airport checks, and more widespread testing.  Do we honestly think there's only a few hundred people in this country with it, particularly now professional athletes are testing positive for it?

I wasn't hoping for martial law, but I'd have liked them to be far more proactive.

If this blows over relatively well they'll have been right.  I think it's been badly handled because I don't think that's how it's going to play out.

In a couple of months time my post is there to be shot at.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Just the editor of The Lancet here. Nothing to worry about.

I get his credentials but other experts are saying something different  , guess people can pick and chose their expert to suit their personal view  , but Horton I think you'll find ,  is the same person who published a paper saying Vaccinations caused autism in children , setting  off a sharp decline in vaccinations globally as a result    ... I wouldn't necessarily say we ignore what he has to say , but I wouldn't hold him up as the great saviour either

6 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I get his credentials but other experts are saying something different  , guess people can pick and chose their expert to suit their personal view  , but Horton I think you'll find ,  is the same person who published a paper saying Vaccinations caused autism in children , setting  off a sharp decline in vaccinations globally as a result    ... I wouldn't necessarily say we ignore what he has to say , but I wouldn't hold him up as the great saviour either

It's a good point and I have no arguments with it 👍

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Rodders said:

I thought we'd had enough of experts anyway?

26 minutes ago, bickster said:

Behavioural scientists, not actual medical doctors, even Chris Witty appears to be going back on what he's previously said

I'm talking generic rather than  the government stooges that I think you are referring to ?

Whilst they voice concerns and caution , there are medical Doctors below  who are not behaviours scientists who agree with some government thinking  , I'm sure there are more , as well as many who disagree ...

Prof Deenan Pillay, professor of virology, University College London

I’m very pleased there isn’t the sort of reaction we’ve seen in the US to close borders. This infection is now circulating in the UK and it’s important that, wherever those infections come from, there’s an understanding that we’re responsible for dealing with all of them and avoid the xenophobia that has emerged and that would be perpetuated by an insular approach.

Dr Jennifer Rohn, cell biologist, University College London

Not closing schools seems understandable to me. Children will be the least likely to be affected, and therefore the least likely to be shedding virus, which is directly proportional to more serious symptoms. In contrast, if you close schools you’re keeping a very large number of parents away from work – as long as it is deemed feasible to keep workplaces open, it’s probably better not to harm the economy further in this way.

Prof Paul Hunter, professor in medicine, Norwich Medical School, University of East Anglia

The guidance about self-isolating if you have any respiratory symptoms for a week is absolutely spot on. I’m not sure how many people will actually follow that advice – we shall see. But even if people ignore the advice themselves, you can imagine that if they turn up to work, colleagues and bosses will be on their case and there will be increased peer pressure.

Obviously selective quoting , and you can read more on the links ,  but its to make the more generic point that it isn't just behavioural scientists

Edit- and of course Sir Patrick Vallance

Herd immunity is the resistance to a contagious disease within a population because enough people have become immune, and so it is harder for it to spread.

Edited by tonyh29

Â