The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

I mean, I definitely LOL'd, but it won't put people off coming here in totality. I'm sure we'll see a smaller percentage from western Europe, but just as the gastarbeiter system wasn't short of people arriving, neither will we be. 

EDIT: I should edit this to make clear that I'm not trying to say overall numbers will not go down; I'm sure they will, at least initially. I'm trying [badly] to make the point that the UK will still be seen as a very attractive place to move and work, and that where the system creates openings there will be lots of people looking to come. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

Thatcher's legacy coming into full flower. 

1. Destroy unions 

2. Abolish h&s regulations

3. Compel claimants to do backbreaking minimum wage labour or have their benefits stopped 

Back on the chain gang. 

16 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Has anyone seen any detail regarding whether the youth mobility visa remains (people under 30 being allowed to work 2 years in the UK)? 

It’s a bit of a right of passage for young Australians or Kiwis to work in a UK bar. 

it's still on the UK Govt website  , long as you score 50 (out of 50 points) on the criteria you can apply ...  you can't apply online if you are currently living in North Korea though  !!

• Thanks 1

In terms of the Youth Mobility Scheme, it would not be a complete surprise if it is extended to EU citizens as part of the negotiations at a later date (but there is no commitment to do this, it's just a possibility).

Has anyone seen an explanation of what is meant by 'the required level of English'? Obviously huge differences between A2, B1 or B2 levels. 

27 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

In terms of the Youth Mobility Scheme, it would not be a complete surprise if it is extended to EU citizens as part of the negotiations at a later date (but there is no commitment to do this, it's just a possibility).

Has anyone seen an explanation of what is meant by 'the required level of English'? Obviously huge differences between A2, B1 or B2 levels. 

It’s ‘B1’ level according to the article in The Independent. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

It’s ‘B1’ level according to the article in The Independent. 

Thanks. Here's a video of a candidate taking the B1 test that will probably be the main accepted form of language requirement for anyone who's interested in what that might sound like, and really mainly for @bickster's enjoyment:

If anything can persuade him of the need for Brexit, surely it's this!

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Xela said:

Isn't the points based system exactly what such lauded countries like Canada and Australia do anyway? 

There isn't such a thing as 'the' points based system.

There are lots of systems with points as part of them - I believe we run some sort of points based system in part of the immigration system at the moment.

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

If anything can persuade him of the need for Brexit, surely it's this!

All that has persuaded me to do is put you on the list

1. Umbrella Manufacturers
  2. HanoiVillan

Come the glorious day....

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Though to be fair, if anyone in the tory party is working on some mechanical arse interaction device, it’ll be John Redwood.

Or possibly absolutely any of the others.

Indeed. If any group ought to have a good grasp on arses it's the Tories.

• Haha 1

Â