The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

In all of the Javid and Braverman talk yesterday, I think Smith going and being replaced by Brandon Lewis should not be overlooked.

Lewis might turn out to be brilliant or even reasonably good at NI (it would be quite a surprise though it is, nevertheless, a possibility) but it does suggest that the role is again being used as a dumping ground by a UK PM.

Given the precarious nature of things currently, one wonders what this change in personnel tells the various parties and just what a potentially bad effect it might have on the whole situation.

Edit:

Peter Foster thread about it/him -

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Awol said:

Was trying to limit the length of responses, but making the point that the Treasury is being brought to heel behind the wider strategy of No.10, not freelancing and pursuing it’s own agenda, including briefing against its own government - as it has done consistently for several years now. 

In shorthand, “control of the Treasury shifting to the PM.” 

Consolidating control of the spads is a very start move, imo. The next 12 months are vital for the future of the country, you can’t afford people pulling in different directions. 

behind a paywall so can only view the first paragraph , but it's quite telling and backs up your point

The late Sir Jeremy Heywood, then cabinet secretary, once recounted to me how he had worked with every prime minister and chancellor since John Major and Ken Clarke. Almost every relationship, he said, was dysfunctional. Blair and Brown were in a state of perpetual warfare. Cameron and Osborne were so tight that No 10 never challenged 
No 11. Relations between Theresa May and Philip Hammond deteriorated faster than any Heywood had known.

The partnership between Boris Johnson and Sajid Javid broke down even more rapidly than their predecessors’.  The reasons lie partly in their personalities, and in the behaviour of their advisers. But Javid’s resignation - which was transparently engineered by No 10 - was also down to fundamental disagreement about policy and the purpose of the treasury 

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

If you were wanting to allay suspicions about yes-men picked for their inability to think for themselves or challenge ideas when necessary, is this the sort of story you'd be leaking to the media?

I genuinely can't figure out if this is satire

15 minutes ago, Xann said:

Boris's brother Max enters the fray.

Being linked to HS2 and Huawei's execs.

I'm eagerly awaiting a post from you linking Boris's pet Hamster with Brexit  :)

Just now, Xann said:

He has a hamster?

Bet it's domiciled in the Caymans :P

there is a bit a of controversy over it ,  the hamster claims David Ross paid for the cage and hamster wheel   , but Ross is denying it

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

behind a paywall so can only view the first paragraph , but it's quite telling and backs up your point

It may well reinforce the idea that there is and has been tension between No. 10 & No. 11 in recent decades but I'm not sure that ought to have been in serious dispute. I don't think the first para and a half backs up the fundamental point at all.

Ha ha ha. I've just opened the link and seen that it was written by Nick Timothy. Enough said. :D

Edited by snowychap

7 minutes ago, snowychap said:

It may well reinforce the idea that there is and has been tension between No. 10 & No. 11 in recent decades but I'm not sure that ought to have been in serious dispute. I don't think the first para and a half backs up the fundamental point at all.

Ha ha ha. I've just opened the link and seen that it was written by Nick Timothy. Enough said. :D

It also included this in the example of dysfunctional relationships:

”Cameron and Osborne were so tight that No 10 never challenged 
No 11.”

Which seems to be exactly what they want to replicate.

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

If you were wanting to allay suspicions about yes-men picked for their inability to think for themselves or challenge ideas when necessary, is this the sort of story you'd be leaking to the media?

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

So, actually reading down that article, some chancellors were too friendly, some were to spikey, so the relationship was dysfunctional, Javid did something Cummings didn’t like and so Cummings contrived to get him sacked / resigned so they could install someone Cummings can control.

Yeah, much better system now, I can see how people are happier with this arrangement.

People do like to be convinced by conmen. 

Edited by chrisp65

22 hours ago, snowychap said:

the rot is not that people shouldn't be taken to task for freelancing

Tangentially, Cummins potted Javid's advisor for "freelancing" as @Awolmentioned a few pages back, but seems to do an awful amount of "freelancing" himself. The whopper.

Â