The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

4 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

You didn't.  That's his point.

That's the whole problem with your terrible argument. 

It’s not an argument. I’m just taking about what is deemed fair or not. 

If leaving the EU meant more opportunities for workers from outside the EU to come and work in the country. I wouldn’t have a problem with that. That’s all I’m saying. 

I’m not saying I want to leave the EU or I’m voting Tory. I’m just saying I would like to see more non eu immigration. 

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If leaving the EU meant more opportunities for workers from outside the EU to come and work in the country. I wouldn’t have a problem with that.

Why is it 'fair' to reduce the opportunities for workers from the UK and from the rest of the EU in order to do that?

Just now, snowychap said:

Why is it 'fair' to reduce the opportunities for workers from the UK and from the rest of the EU in order to do that?

It isn’t fair. But it wouldn’t it make it more of a level playing field for all workers that wish to work in the UK. Regardless of where they are from?

I guess as you point out it wouldn’t make it fair for the UK workers who wish to work in the EU. 

Any suggestions on what changes you think could be made or do you think the current system is fine?

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It isn’t fair. But it wouldn’t it make it more of a level playing field for all workers that wish to work in the UK. Regardless of where they are from?

Are you more concerned with making it a level playing field or improving things?

I guess as you point out it wouldn’t make it fair for the UK workers who wish to work in the EU.

Indeed.

Any suggestions on what changes you think could be made or do you think the current system is fine?

Reduce barriers rather than build walls and fences. At the same time the issues that lead to mass migration through need (rather than smaller movements of people through desire) would require addressing - all sorts of things from regimes trying to kill their own citizens, countries and regimes trying to kill their neighbours' citizens, famine, climate change, economic inequalities, &c.

Obviously all that suggests it's rather a pipedream but given that I view it as a good thing to have it as an end goal, it might just be a start to move towards it and I'd say we should do that by adding to the rights and opportunities that currently exist rather than by reducing them.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 2

Nothing she has said there is incorrect.  

People from the EU can come into the UK without a job for up to three months.  After that, they can stay, even if they haven't got a job, if they can prove they're not a "burden on the host state".  Also, "as regards residence, job seekers have the right to reside for a period exceeding six months (CoJ, Case C-292/89 Antonissen) without having to meet any conditions if they continue to seek employment in the host Member State and have a ‘genuine chance’ of finding work."  https://www.europarl.europa.eu/factsheets/en/sheet/41/free-movement-of-workers

So you know, facts and stuff.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Risso said:

People from the EU can come into the UK without a job for up to three months.  After that, they can stay, even if they haven't got a job, if they can prove they're not a "burden on the host state".  Also, "as regards residence, job seekers have the right to reside for a period exceeding six months (CoJ, Case C-292/89 Antonissen) without having to meet any conditions if they continue to seek employment in the host Member State and have a ‘genuine chance’ of finding work."  https://www.europarl.europa.eu/factsheets/en/sheet/41/free-movement-of-workers

So you're admitting that the problem for most people is foreign people being able to stay full stop? If they aren't a burden on the host state and can't claim benefits, what is the issue with them staying for over 6 months?

Heaven forbid the independently wealthy, non-working class move here.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m not saying I want to leave the EU or I’m voting Tory. I’m just saying I would like to see more non eu immigration. 

You really want to stay away from voting for the Conservatives, then.

2 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

So you're admitting that the problem for most people is foreign people being able to stay full stop? If they aren't a burden on the host state and can't claim benefits, what is the issue with them staying for over 6 months?

Heaven forbid the independently wealthy, non-working class move here.

I didn’t give my opinion either way, just attempted to put something more informed than a Twitter post.

2 minutes ago, Risso said:

I didn’t give my opinion either way, just attempted to put something more informed than a Twitter post.

Sorry, didn't mean to suggest this was your personal opinion. What you posted just highlighted how nonsensical most of the immigration arguments are.

4 hours ago, Risso said:

In practice though there is no way of enforcing these timelines as (unlike many EU states) the UK doesn’t have a formal process for registering new arrivals from the EU. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

In practice though there is no way of enforcing these timelines as (unlike many EU states) the UK doesn’t have a formal process for registering new arrivals from the EU. 

Well that’s going to have to change if we intend invoicing people for using the NHS.

It’s another route towards i.d. culture. That’s us taking back control, we showed ‘em.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Scottish Tory candidate forced to step down after Holocaust denial.

A sorry state of affairs.

I find it interesting that he was also accused of Islamophobic and Homophobic remarks, but he only found it necessary to defend the abhorrent Holocaust denial and anti-semetic remarks.

Edited by Sam-AVFC

7 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I fid it interesting that he was also accused of Islamophobic and Homophobic remarks, but he only found it necessary to defend the abhorrent Holocaust denial and anti-semetic remarks.

Yeah the first 2 are socially acceptable still, positively encouraged arguably on the one front.

6 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Anyone following #arronbanksleaks on Twitter? 🍿

Now I am. Jeeeesus.

Presumably not being reported on because of concerns over illegally sharing info? Andy Wigmore's account is quite funny bleating about stolen information and GDPR being breached...maybe worth keeping quiet on that for a little bit.

1 minute ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Now I am. Jeeeesus.

Presumably not being reported on because of concerns over illegally sharing info? Andy Wigmore's account is quite funny bleating about stolen information and GDPR being breached...maybe worth keeping quiet on that for a little bit.

Yeah could be some juicy stuff inside this file that totally isn't being downloaded right now 😂

• Like 1

Â