The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

4 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Tories, promising there’s a double inflation rise in pensions coming soon.

That just represents the effect of the triple lock, doesn't it?

Much like the 'announcement' that the benefits freeze is apparently due to end next April which has been the policy since about January, I believe. (Btw, I wouldn't be at all surprised for the freeze to be maintained if they get a majority government).

Edited by snowychap

2 hours ago, snowychap said:

That just represents the effect of the triple lock, doesn't it?

Much like the 'announcement' that the benefits freeze is apparently due to end next April which has been the policy since about January, I believe. (Btw, I wouldn't be at all surprised for the freeze to be mai9ntained if they get a majority government).

Probably, but presented today as a policy pitch of increased money if you vote Tory.

At best and being charitable you could say it was ‘disingenuous’. In reality, it’s a lot more squalid than that. Genetically incapable of plain truth.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Probably, but presented today as a policy pitch of increased money if you vote Tory.

At best and being charitable you could say it was ‘disingenuous’. In reality, it’s a lot more squalid than that. Genetically incapable of plain truth.

No need to be charitable. They know what they're doing and they know that most media outlets will fail to report it critically (at least initially, i.e. when it matters).

• Like 2

Thing is, the people receiving benefits absolutely will not be voting Conservative, so this news will mean nothing to them in terms of voting intention. It's there to appease middle England conservative voters into thinking that they're doing their bit for the poor. 

I saw a chart on Twitter the other day that showed all constituencies listed in order of most deprived to least deprived and who they voted for in the last election. 

As you can imagine it was very red on one side and very blue on the other. The more deprived an area is, the more likely it is to vote Labour and visa versa. 

You can understand why when we see how the poor and less fortunate have been treated by the Tories.  

4 hours ago, desensitized43 said:
5 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Tories, promising there’s a double inflation rise in pensions coming soon.

They don’t do subtle, do they?

They also don't do truth. 

All that say to me is that they (Tory HW) have somehow had an early warning of an extreme cold weather event on its way to the UK,  on or after December 13th. 

I'm not so sure about that to be honest 

Working class areas and estates etc are complicated, I know mine vote tory, Kidderminster as a largely working class town votes tory

Long and hard to explain, mainly that Labour are seen to represent the non working class who are far more despised than billionaires ever will be 

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The scariest thing about that for me is realising wyre forest is smack bang in the middle for deprivation... 

Birchen Coppice v Whitehill Road.

Edit: Though also if you look at the other constituencies around it on that chart like Slough and Cardiff Central, it seems about right.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

I wouldn’t worry too much about where you stand on a list that lists Kensington as being a more deprived than Pontypridd! 😂

That’s always going to be the problem with any of those lists, it’s an average over 40 or 50 thousand people. Grenfell is within Kensington and Chelsea.

Vale of Glam is smack in the middle there, in column 5. It has multi million pound houses in the Vale often listed as one of the best places to live in the UK. It also has housing estates where the deprivation and years of neglect are proving a real hard nut to crack.
It’s reflected in the almost 50/50 split in voting. The tory ponces around canvassing in the Vale at gymkanas and wine tastings and the lefties go leafleting in the failed 60’s housing estate and food banks. 

Edited by chrisp65

2 hours ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

I wouldn’t worry too much about where you stand on a list that lists Kensington as being a more deprived than Pontypridd! 😂

I suspect you have to look beyond the headline names of the constituencies

• Like 3

2 hours ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

Do you have a methodology you'd like to share? Or a criticism of the methodology used by the person who came up with the chart?

Edited by snowychap

15 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Ghoulish

I wouldn't say ghoulish, I'd say another politician throwing verbal diorhea about a subject he isn't an expert on.

The fact is, in some cases staying put is best. In others, getting the hell out of there is best.

Anyone remember 9/11 and how everyone was asked to stay in and that help was coming? I have never heard any blame put on the people giving those directions (please correct me if I'm wrong!).

'Common sense', as he put it, has little bearing in situation like that - you are panicking with little knowledge of what to do. Therefore, the best course of action is to listen to what the fire service suggests as they have greater knowledge and experience of situation like that. 

• Like 1

Â