The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

The only reason you can't leave school at 16 (a relatively new thing) is because is took millions off the unemployed register

I didn't even realise this was a thing. I thought that meand I'd have been forced to complete 1 year of A Levels for no reason at all, then I Googled it...

Had absolutely no idea you have to continue with some form of education of training until 18. Shows my ignorance.

Changing the age/EU nationals can't be done before December realistically anyway can it. None of them/very few will be on the electoral roll/registered to vote so unless they are just going to let everyone turn up with no way of knowing who anyone is then i can't see how it can be done in less than 6 weeks.

If it is something that is to be introduced in the future ideally you would need everyone from 14 or so onwards on the electoral roll as standard so they woud be ready to vote when they turn 16

4 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Only with parental consent and they can not be deployed/See any sort of active service until 18. 16-18 is basically a 2 year training program

Parental consent makes no sense to me in this scenario. It's either appropriate for someone that age to make the decision or not. Same with getting tattoed or married before 18.

Might as well make smoking at 16 a case of parental consent.

Changing the age/EU nationals can't be done before December realistically anyway can it. None of them/very few will be on the electoral roll/registered to vote so unless they are just going to let everyone turn up with no way of knowing who anyone is then i can't see how it can be done in less than 6 weeks.

If it is something that is to be introduced in the future ideally you would need everyone from 14 or so onwards on the electoral roll as standard so they woud be ready to vote when they turn 16

The December date that the government want because the government keep playing silly buggers

We should all just roll over and do exactly what these charlatans want over and over again. 

Only with parental consent and they can not be deployed/See any sort of active service until 18. 16-18 is basically a 2 year training program

Dumb, isn’t it, we don’t trust you are old enough to know what you’re doing, so we’ll ask you’re mum if you can join the army. Utterly wrong thinking. But, on the positive side it means we can send them somewhere straightaway once they’re old enough to be killing, not wait until 18 and then waste time training them.

They can join the army before they can vote in local council elections. That’s patently wrong.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Also, 16 year olds were allowed to vote for Johnson to be Tory leader, ergo PM.

Why does he trust those 16 year olds, and not the rest?

Why would Corbyn trust any 16 year olds either,  austerity has robbed all these children of an education,  social justice,  housing and of any hope going forward apparently but they are it seems educated just enough to vote now in December 2019.   

12 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Why would Corbyn trust any 16 year olds either,  austerity has robbed all these children of an education,  social justice,  housing and of any hope going forward apparently but they are it seems educated just enough to vote now in December 2019.   

Eh? Do you really think Corbyn is the type to say anyone shouldn't vote because they are poorly educated, homeless and not socially mobile? Makes no difference whether they are 16-17 or 18+ if these are your arguments.

Not sure why I’m voting 3 times in 5 years in a General Election?

Are they not willing to respect what I wanted last time and the time before that? Will I just have to keep voting until the tories get the result they want?

It’s shaking my belief in democracy.

Why doesn’t the chairman of the Tory party have a countdown clock telling him how much of the 5 year term is left?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Dumb, isn’t it, we don’t trust you are old enough to know what you’re doing, so we’ll ask you’re mum if you can join the army. Utterly wrong thinking. But, on the positive side it means we can send them somewhere straightaway once they’re old enough to be killing, not wait until 18 and then waste time training them.

They can join the army before they can vote in local council elections. That’s patently wrong

I don't think that they should be abe to join at 16 under any circumstances really. With the new law on remaining in education/training until 18 perhaps some sort of expanded form of cadets/reserves (Basically the old national service type stuff really) could be sorted out for those that are interested without having to sign up for a 6 year minimum commitment when you are 16

The more you think about it, the more abhorrent this government's behaviour has been recently.

- We want an election

- No

- We want an election

- No

- We want an election

- No

- We want this deal passed

- Ok

- Now let's rush it through in 3 days

- No

- FINE, NO DEAL FOR YOU

- I want an election

- Ok

- This is when it will be and these are the conditions, and only ministers can amend it

- No, we should talk about this and amend it accordingly through the constitutional role of the house

- FINE, NO ELECTION FOR YOU

----Papers and Tory spin----

OPPOSITION AND PARLIAMENT BLOCK DEMOCRACY ONCE AGAIN

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

I don't think that they should be abe to join at 16 under any circumstances really. With the new law on remaining in education/training until 18 perhaps some sort of expanded form of cadets/reserves (Basically the old national service type stuff really) could be sorted out for those that are interested without having to sign up for a 6 year minimum commitment when you are 16

It's OT, but I joined the military as an apprentice, during Thatchers time - there weren't many good jobs around in the West Midlands back then, Uni was a thing where you needed a degree of wealth behind you from your family so there weren't gazillions of options. But anyway of those that joined up with me a few left of their own volition quite early on, a few were kicked out, but the majority went on to have valued and valuable careers of various lengths in the RAF. It gave us training at least as good if not better than continued education would, it also taught us a trade (engineering) and let us see the world. I'm perhaps unsurprisingly in favour of it, because of what it offers being better than many alternatives. And you're right, under 16 you are not legally allowed to go to war, so even though the Falklands war kicked off, we were not ever going to get sent there.

• Like 2

Â