The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

I don’t really understand the point of the FTPA if a one-line bill can be introduced to call an election. I know that in the case such a bill could and likely would be amended, but if the government had a working majority then that wouldn’t be an issue. Anyone care to explain please?

Well, the point of the FTPA was so that Cameron didn't pull the plug on the coalition government with the Lib Dems (or perhaps the other way around as above).

Yes, the Act can be bypassed by means of a short 'notwithstanding the FTPA' bill but it still does mean that Parliament decides on whether an election is going to happen rather than it being a prerogative power (i.e. in the hands of the Monarch via the PM).

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Why do the Conservatives hate democracy? 

Tabling those amendments would be pretty cynical though. 

Opening or closing the voting franchise should be the sort of decision made following scrutiny and analysis of the impact. And ideally because a Government had been voted into power that had previously said it was going to do that. 

Not because part of a hung Parliament  thought it could bash it through at the last minute to get a few more votes in an election a few weeks later.

Then again, we're dealing with the ugliest, most cynical, most untrustworthy  Government in generations. So what goes around...

Edited by ml1dch

16 does seem a bit young to me.  If I look back to when I was that age I didn't really know much about the 'real world'. You do learn pretty quickly once you go on to get more responsibility at 6th form or apprenticeships or whatever, so 17 seems fair enough. 

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

16 does seem a bit young to me.  If I look back to when I was that age I didn't really know much about the 'real world'. You do learn pretty quickly once you go on to get more responsibility at 6th form or apprenticeships or whatever, so 17 seems fair enough. 

National insurance though. If you're old enough to pay taxes, why shouldn't you have a say in how the country is run? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LakotaDakota said:

How can anyone argue that a few days/weeks isn't enough time to consider a brexit proposal but 30 seconds is more than enough time to completely change the voting age and who is entitled to vote....

How can anyone argue that having 3 elections in the space of time meant for one, is democratic and having a 2nd referendum on remain/leave is not...

5 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

How can anyone argue that a few days/weeks isn't enough time to consider a brexit proposal but 30 seconds is more than enough time to completely change the voting age and who is entitled to vote....

Isn't this Labour Party policy anyway? And Greens and possibly Lib Dem too?

34 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

For many, probably it is too young. But many of those will stay too young until they’re too old. 

Newsnight did a vox pop a few weeks ago and a pensioner was insisting he’d vote conservative in a referendum. I’ve said it before, if you can be married and in the army and looking after your own kids, then you’re probably up to the task of voting for your local councillor or MP.

If you’re 55 and voted leave because we won the war, you’re probably not ready for the pressure of a vote.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LakotaDakota said:

If you are not considered responsible enough to Drive, Drink alcohol, Smoke, Gamble, Get married, Leave school/Full time education or even watch some films/buy some video games until you are 18 you shouldn't be voting

But we let them join the army. How sick is that?

• Like 2

Â