The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

17 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Not their most powerful one, is it?

What I liked was the play between lying, which is a theme Labour, Greens and SNP are pushing (bit hard for the Lib Dems to make anything out of that), and the pic of Jakey Boy, which carries connotations of patrician scorn for the rest of us, and which we will doubtless see used more in the coming election campaign.

On 09/10/2019 at 11:45, cyrusr said:

I think I read about something about a request to keep it confidential.

More on this from The Huff Post:

Boris Johnson has warned a London City Hall watchdog that it has no right or remit to investigate his relationship with businesswoman Jennifer Arcuri, HuffPost UK can reveal.

A letter, from the prime minister’s lawyers to the head of the London Assembly oversight committee, challenges its demands for “extensive” details of his links to Arcuri. It also suggests that it is not in “the public interest” for an Assembly investigation to take place as it “risked becoming politicised”.

The letter contains no personal details about the prime minister’s contacts with Arcuri.

Johnson has faced accusations of failing to declare a conflict of interest after the American tech entrepreneur was given public money and access to trade trips during his time as London Mayor.

The PM’s lawyers requested the letter was kept private and not for publication, although no agreement to this effect was made with the committee. The letter has been leaked to HuffPost UK in full.

...remainder of article (and 'not for publication' letter) on link

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, peterms said:

Hmm first of all the irritation of paycheck and cab aside. Is this too crazy? How would this lad know how many applicants and how many superstores would make someone provide a uniform, trousers yes, but top, nah I don't buy that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Hmm first of all the irritation of paycheck and cab aside. Is this too crazy? How would this lad know how many applicants and how many superstores would make someone provide a uniform, trousers yes, but top, nah I don't buy that. 

So what we're saying is, apart from all the negatives it doesn't sound too bad?

11 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

So what we're saying is, apart from all the negatives it doesn't sound too bad?

What I am saying I never had a retail job where the company provided me with trousers. The rest in this day and age are pretty much the norm, if I agree with them or not, or if I believe that the tweet is true. 

10 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

What I am saying I never had a retail job where the company provided me with trousers. The rest in this day and age are pretty much the norm, if I agree with them or not, or if I believe that the tweet is true. 

I think that's the issue.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Seat68 said:

You don’t mind the bit about your employer making you download an app that allows them to track your location at all times?

That was the bit that stuck out for me. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

You don’t mind the bit about your employer making you download an app that allows them to track your location at all times?

That was the bit that stuck out for me. 

I am ok with it but that's me. I have many work related apps that potentially could track me, as does Google and Facebook did. That's me though, I am OK with it. I would have to be armed with all of the facts to say if that is all true or not, what is the app, what is its real purpose? The only Superstore I can think of and the role would be a delivery driver perhaps. There is just little info in the tweet and that's why I might question it. 

It’s done nobody any favours, a vague anonymous tweet about generalised bad practise.

All those bad things exist in proveable places with real names that can’t be disputed.

The tweet belongs in the folder marked ‘yeah, didn’t happen’.

It’ll detract from all the real shit employers are allowed to pull that we should be resisting.

• Like 1

Not on Twitter, so won't check the veracity.

Though I knew how many applications there were for my last couple of positions.

The earlier one I just asked. More recently, my friend that informed me about the job told me.

Drivers usually get uniforms. Pickers for delivery and accounts often don't, because serving customers on the shop floor isn't your job and time is an issue.

You're still expected to look presentable mind.

yes when I worked in the public library a few years ago, putting a display stand together with the new books when political, current affairs type ones came out was always a lot of fun. I definitely juxtaposed a few piss-taking displays. Definite perk of the job :thumb:

Beeb:

A mother has said a decision not to allow her two-year-old daughter to stay in the UK was "inhumane".

Lindsay Dutton, originally from South Africa but now living in Swansea, has a British passport but her daughter Lucy's child visitor visa has expired.

The Home Office refused to extend it and Ms Dutton needs to find £3,000 to appeal, which she said she has not got.

The Home Office wrote a letter addressed to Lucy, which BBC Wales has seen, telling her she had the right to appeal their decision, but must leave the country within 14 days if she does not.

It recommends Lucy returns to South Africa with her parents, arguing they would be able to find employment there.

It also claimed the toddler "failed to provide evidence of a familial link between yourself and these alleged relatives".

...rest of it on link

• Sad 1

Â