The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

Going to see my 83 year old Mum on Friday, can’t wait for the next instalment of her Boris stories telling me that he’s only doing what the country wanted.  

Last time I saw her I gave her a new expression that he couldn’t give his Johnson in his trousers, she seemed to like that.

Cant wait to hear her views on Priti’s speech 

10 minutes ago, Sid4ever said:

Going to see my 83 year old Mum on Friday, can’t wait for the next instalment of her Boris stories telling me that he’s only doing what the country wanted.  

Last time I saw her I gave her a new expression that he couldn’t give his Johnson in his trousers, she seemed to like that.

Cant wait to hear her views on Priti’s speech 

Mine regularly remarks "That Boris Johnson seems to be doing well".

I explain that he is a corrupt, lying, narcissistic serial adulterer who couldn't be trusted with an honesty box in a nursery play shop, and offer supporting evidence.  She is shocked, and reconsiders her opinion.

Next time I see her, this scenario repeats.  Dementia is a troubling thing.

• Like 2

The same loop with my parents, with them quoting from The Heil.

I challenge the points made and they use the defence ‘well they wouldn’t just make it up’.

Aaaaaaat which point I have to remind my mum of the one time she made it in the the paper and they had every single possible fact wrong, having interviewed her face to face and taken lots of notes.

Rinse n repeat.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

The same loop with my parents, with them quoting from The Heil.

I challenge the points made and they use the defence ‘well they wouldn’t just make it up’.

Aaaaaaat which point I have to remind my mum of the one time she made it in the the paper and they had every single possible fact wrong, having interviewed her face to face and taken lots of notes.

Rinse n repeat.

Possibly the fact of Harry and Meghan suing them for being lying malevolent shits will carry some weight, more than logical argument and facts?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Probably more for the things you often wonder thread but do people really visit their parents and then lecture them on politics ?

Dunno about "lecture", but yes, I've had to challenge my mother's appalling predjudices in the past, as has my wife with her racist, Mail-consuming mother (our Dads weren't quite so bad). 

Our daughters are more aligned with us, but we still get the odd 'tut' for being insufficiently PC. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Probably more for the things you often wonder thread but do people really visit their parents and then lecture them on politics ?

If you live on Daily Mail Island and don't get out much? The World's a scary place.

It was mostly reassurance that Sharia law hadn't taken over London for a while.

Edited by Xann
oops
  • Like 2

Just now, mjmooney said:

Dunno about "lecture", but yes, I've had to challenge my mother's appalling predjudices in the past, as has my wife with her racist, Mail-consuming mother (our Dads weren't quite so bad). 

Our daughters are more aligned with us, but we still get the odd 'tut' for being insufficiently PC. 

Tbf I guess my parents are a slightly younger generation but I’ve never heard them come out with any prejudiced stuff , though fairly sure I saw them laugh at Jim Davidson once so maybe they just hid it from me :)

We are not really a political family tbh , I’ve mentioned before I don’t know how any of my family vote and it’s not something we generally talk about ....though my grandad would have been popular on VT his only political  input whenever I saw him was to rant about Thatcher 

10 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Not wishing to spend the final 5 or 10 years of their lives, arguing and falling out with my parents and in laws, I steer away from any talk of brexit and politics. If they start to rant about their strong belief that the UK will continue to decline unless it leaves the EU, I just listen and suggest another cuppa.

I think I have improved my tolerance of others'beliefs over the past 10 years or so, although it did take me 40 years! Most things are not worth falling out over. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, brommy said:

Not wishing to spend the final 5 or 10 years of their lives, arguing and falling out with my parents and in laws, I steer away from any talk of brexit and politics. If they start to rant about their strong belief that the UK will continue to decline unless it leaves the EU, I just listen and suggest another cuppa.

I think I have improved my tolerance of others'beliefs over the past 10 years or so, although it did take me 40 years! Most things are not worth falling out over. 

This is true, and it's why my wife and I ended up having to avoid the subject. Her mother used come out with stuff like "I wouldn't want to be treated by a black doctor" and "Yes, I'm racist and proud of it". She lived in a Devon village, and had never met a non-white person in her life. But she'd heard about how terrible it was for white people in places like Birmingham and Bradford. Daily Mail reader. 

Edited by mjmooney

4 hours ago, snowychap said:

A theory:

Pomp and circumstance for the Queens Speech lasts all that week. The vote happens the day before the Council and the Benn Act coming into force. 

The Government loses the vote on the Queens Speech. Johnson stands up and says "I have lost this vote, which tradition treats as a vote of confidence. I therefore no longer see myself as Prime Minister, will not be going to represent the UK at the EC meeting and do not consider myself to be the person to whom the Benn Act refers. So I ain't writing no letter to nobody"

He sits down, does nothing. 

What then?

A court case is no longer "has the Prime Minister broken the law" and a court order is easily obtained to fix it. But "is he the Prime Minister if he claims precedent says he isn't?" which eats up time.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

A theory:

Pomp and circumstance for the Queens Speech lasts all that week. The vote happens the day before the Council and the Benn Act coming into force. 

The Government loses the vote on the Queens Speech. Johnson stands up and says "I have lost this vote, which tradition treats as a vote of confidence. I therefore no longer see myself as Prime Minister, will not be going to represent the UK at the EC meeting and do not consider myself to be the person to whom the Benn Act refers. So I ain't writing no letter to nobody"

What then?

A court case is no longer "has the Prime Minister broken the law" and a court order is easily obtained to fix it. But "is he the Prime Minister if he claims precedent says he isn't?" which eats up time.

I think that I posted something about that week being a real mess when the last prorogation was announced/was ongoing.

I think the answer to 'is he the PM...?' is yes, he obviously is until he resigns or is dismissed and I don't think that would eat up any time.

I suppose the result of the nob off case will have some bearing upon your theory.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Tbf I guess my parents are a slightly younger generation but I’ve never heard them come out with any prejudiced stuff , though fairly sure I saw them laugh at Jim Davidson once so maybe they just hid it from me :)

We are not really a political family tbh , I’ve mentioned before I don’t know how any of my family vote and it’s not something we generally talk about ....though my grandad would have been popular on VT his only political  input whenever I saw him was to rant about Thatcher 

Nice subtle digs there.

Racism can be boiled down to finding Jim Davidson funny, once, and we’re all leftists merely ranting our days away.

For someone who gets so defensive when queried on your seemingly implicit views you don’t half like to dangle it out there.

If you can’t have a conversation on politics - and yes, a conversation, not a ‘lecture’ - with your family, who can you discuss with? 

9 hours ago, ml1dch said:

A theory:

What then?

If he’s not, then somebody else will become pm and will go and ask for the extension.

23 minutes ago, blandy said:

If he’s not, then somebody else will become pm and will go and ask for the extension.

Who? And how? What would be the constitutional procedure for "someone else (to) become pm" if he hasn't formally resigned and recommended a successor? 

9 hours ago, ml1dch said:

A theory:

What then?

Whether it's something along these lines or something else, it is certain they are planning some kind of chicanery to get round the law.

We’re heading back in to a few days of horse trading here aren’t we.

The EU know they can’t just reject his proposals out of hand, so there is seen to be a chance of a deal for as long as possible over the next 2 weeks.

Whilst there’s a chance there’s a deal, a good proportion of those ex communicated tories will be wondering if there’s a face saver for them to come back in to the fold and have official backing in the next election and get another few years of being an MP.

Then you’ve got the Labour MP’s who’ve indicated they’ll pretty much vote for anything that Johnson can offer them.

It’s not going to get any less bumpy over the next couple of weeks, Johnson’s team have to hope that his ‘successful’ conference jokes and the veneer of an acceptable deal outweigh any new scandals or defections and see him through. They’ve certainly had it confirmed that declining interviews and getting managed soon bites out there is even more important now than ever.

Expect to see much more more rolled up sleeve Johnson pointing at stuff and saying ‘get it done’.

His team just have to hope there aren’t many pole dancing IT consultants left out there. They can’t know for sure, because in fairness, he probably can’t remember them one from another.

31 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

His team just have to hope there aren’t many pole dancing IT consultants left out there.

In a way more actually helps, but like with Trump. When more and more come out of the woodwork they kind of cancel each other out and it becomes less of a thing and doesn't stick.

Edited by Genie

Â