The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

42 minutes ago, peterms said:

Does the suggested cost allow for planting with shrubs, modestly sized trees, and lawned areas for receptions and cocktail parties?

II doubt the suggested cost gets  you the infrastructure required at either end let alone an impossible to build effin bridge

Only £15bn for a **** bridge nobody has asked for. A gross undervaluation, btw. It's a government infrastructure project. Shall we be conservative with a small c and treble it?

Meanwhile, foodbanks, sanctioning, no magic money tree, etc...

• Like 1

the VT approved expert  appears to be unaware that the Norwegians have  already built bridges over much deeper water using floating bridges , their next project is the coastal highway route taking bridge and tunnel building to whole new levels ...

I’d question the £15bn cost but as someone whose been on a railway at 4000m above sea level that was also impossible , I’d be fairly sure it can be done 

Only 2 years ago, we had Theresa May telling an emotional nurse, talking about staffing cuts, to her face, that there isn't a magic money tree. And now we're really discussing a bridge between Scotland and NI?

Who gives a **** whether it's feasible or not. It's a huge waste of money that needs to go to other places.

• Like 2

Anyone remember when  VT’ers were saying the solution to austerity was to spend money on infrastructure ... funny how opinions change 

theres more to an economy than giving pay rises to hard working nurses a potential Celtic powerhouse would be win win all round 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

That £15,000,000,000.00 would be better spent knocking 7 minutes off the Birmingham to London train time.

Which is so obviously not a **** stupid waste of money.

I’m sure Stephensons rocket  can be fixed with some WD40 to keep you happy but meanwhile the rest of the world is pushing on with advancements and HS2 is about more than London to Brum , but you know that I’m sure 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Anyone remember when  VT’ers were saying the solution to austerity was to spend money on infrastructure ... funny how opinions change 

People think spending money on infrastructure projects might be a good idea. Therefore all infrastructure projects are a good idea. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I’m sure Stephensons rocket  can be fixed with some WD40 to keep you happy but meanwhile the rest of the world is pushing on with advancements and HS2 is about more than London to Brum , but you know that I’m sure 

It’s about anything but London to Brum.

It’s all about Brum to London. Minutes quicker, for tens and tens of billions more than they said, when they knowingly lied about the cost.

We all know that.

As for Stephenson’s Rocket, if it actually turned up and there were seats available and it cost less than £250 to get to London, that would be a major leap forward.

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

. Minutes quicker, for tens and tens of billions more than they said, when they knowingly lied about the cost.

We all know that.

I think you are giving the government too much credit here. In fact I think they were sincere when they first quoted the costings of HS2.

Like most public projects, the actual cost has sky rocketed due to poor planning and public servants wanting to get away with the 'best possible scenario quotes' which look good when reported on the BBC. 

It's not that they lied.

It's that this government is not fit for successfully finalising such a major project.

5 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I think you are giving the government too much credit here. In fact I think they were sincere when they first quoted the costings of HS2.

It’s nothing to do with when they first quoted costs (y’know, back when they were valuing London land they had to buy as being worth zero), it’s about reporting in July 2019 it was on budget when it had been billions over budget according to their own reports since 2016.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

the VT approved expert  appears to be unaware that the Norwegians have  already built bridges over much deeper water using floating bridges , their next project is the coastal highway route taking bridge and tunnel building to whole new levels ...

I’d question the £15bn cost but as someone whose been on a railway at 4000m above sea level that was also impossible , I’d be fairly sure it can be done 

In conditions similar to the Irish Sea? Thought not

Over a distance of 22 miles? Thought not

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bickster said:

An expert writes but what do they know

Yeah why not apart from the practical "Challenges",  what the UK needs right now is another border crossing that will never present a problem in the future if Scotland wants to leave the UK.

The bridge is a no go i feel,  just tell Boris to fill the gap in with concrete and dreams.

11 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Did you read the experts view by an offshore engineer a few posts before yours? Or are you the acceptable face of a VT approved expert?

I'm also pretty amazed they reckon they could get such a huge project completed by November 1st as I'm pretty sure they've promised no problems on the border at all.

Â