The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

Can't only be me that gets pissed off at the toady MPs that stand up to drop government lines and tickle cabinet balls. You can always count on Vicky Ford to swallow what the government wants and regurgitate it, probably in the hope they throw her some scraps from the table of power.

Though even she tweeted in question of something Redwood posted the other day:

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

Can't only be me that gets pissed off at the toady MPs that stand up to drop government lines and tickle cabinet balls. You can always count on Vicky Ford to swallow what the government wants and regurgitate it, probably in the hope they throw her some scraps from the table of power.

Its predictable, JRM getting flustered by a question from the opposition so gives way to someone on his side who he knows will give him a softball question

The election of Johnson by a few thousand ultras, and his decision to wage war on his own party for his self-perceived personal short-lived career advantage, will come to be seen as inflicting generational damage on the tory party.

But I can only say, you had a vote, there was a result, live with the consequences.

Tee hee.

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

But the question really is whether he’s trying to personally profit. It won’t simply be a happy side hustle. There is simply no way he’d be up for this if he thought it diminished him personally when measured against others. Status and position are everything, and money buys that.

His other motivations I’m a bit less interested in. But I’d question whether a catholic is leaving the EU to protect Christian influence over British culture.

I think he would see the EU as opening Europe's floodgates to Muslim immigration, as well as being a force for social liberalism, and he sees those twin threats as a bigger problem than the (increasingly placid) battle between Catholicism and Protestantism. Outside of Northern Ireland and parts of Scotland, is Catholic v. Protestant really a major divide in British politics anymore?

Virtually all MPs go into politics because they have a particular set of social values they believe in, or because they crave status. For someone of Mogg's ilk, it makes no sense for him to go into politics purely to make money. He could have done that anyway, by exploiting his family's existing wealth.

What makes you so certain of this point? I'm genuinely interested, because you seem so thoughtful usually on everything, but on this point you seem to be unwilling to countenance the possibility that a politician like Mogg has a genuine belief system. I'm not defending his set of beliefs, by the way, I just think they're sincere. I still think the man is a word removed.

8 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Indeed. Public schools were (and probably still are) littered with this type of idiot (but as per my above post - most of them worked out that itg wasn't a good look outside of school).

They're the reason I could never vote for a Tory (however reasonable, decent and intelligent they may be) in that they'll always give succour to this kind of git.

Thankfully not something I've experienced, but can certainly imagine it.

I despise people like it. I've run into a few, at university, more than a few in my work life. They all are words removed, and all completely without a modicum of humility.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Thankfully not something I've experienced, but can certainly imagine it.

I despise people like it. I've run into a few, at university, more than a few in my work life. They all are words removed, and all completely without a modicum of humility.

There is a diminishing return to being that much of a word removed.

In my experience, more and more people realise it as time goes on. Unfortunately, a few escape the Park.

Edited by snowychap

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Will we look back on Boris's tenure with the same critical eye as Shearers Newcastle managerial career? 

He's the dog that caught the car it chased. 

Hopefully he'll go under the wheels.

He's not even doing this in parody, is he?  He really is like this in real life.

Rees-Mogg says the public gave MPs an instruction.

He says if the bill passes tomorrow, MPs will either have to accept the backstop, accept endless Brexit delays or revoke article 50 altogether.

He says today’s motion is “the most unconstitutional use of this house since the days of Charles Stewart Parnell, when he tried to bung up parliament”.

He quotes AV Dicey, the Victorian jurist, saying that political conventions are there to ensure that the will of the people gets enacted.

Parliament should accept the will of the nation, he says.

Sovereignty comes from the people to parliament. It does not come out of a void ... We should recognise that the people are our masters, and show ourselves to be their liege and servants.

Rees-Mogg ends by urging MPs to “consider the chaos this concatenation of circumstances could create”.

If I may stray into the antique language he uses, he really is a total queynte, isn't he?

• Like 1

Just now, snowychap said:

That's going to go down well in Ireland.

It's fascinating that although their (former) majority came via the DUP, and the border issue is key to an agreement, and despite all the history, Ireland doesn't seem to be anywhere in their vision or analysis.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, peterms said:

He's not even doing this in parody, is he?  He really is like this in real life.

If I may stray into the antique language he uses, he really is a total queynte, isn't he?

Considering the aristocracy would consider him "new money", you have to laugh that he's choose this "out of touch toff word removed" as the mask he wears.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Considering the aristocracy would consider him "new money", you have to laugh that he's choose this "out of touch toff word removed" as the mask he wears.

That's not at all surprising. The aristocracy would view anyone acquiring a title after 1651 as 'new money'.

Just now, snowychap said:

That's not at all surprising. The aristocracy would view anyone acquiring a title after 1651 as 'new money'.

True. I just find it vaguely amusing that he's viewed with contempt by the aristocracy, the same contempt he has for normal people.

As I type this, he's literally lying back on the front bench and yawning during a Labour MP's speech. I'd love someone to chin the word removed.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

What makes you so certain of this point? I'm genuinely interested, because you seem so thoughtful usually on everything, but on this point you seem to be unwilling to countenance the possibility that a politician like Mogg has a genuine belief system. I'm not defending his set of beliefs, by the way, I just think they're sincere. I still think the man is a word removed.

I’d be wary of thinking I put much thought in to this.

I do believe he has a belief system, I just think it’s based on him getting ahead of others in every way, large or small. He votes consistently with a belief system. He votes against tax rises for people earning large sums. He votes against capital gains tax. Against taxing bankers bonuses. Against raising corporation tax.

He votes to reduce and restrict benefits for the sick, the poor, the young.

Every possible way he can advance the cause of the rich and reduce the chances of those below him, he grabs it. His business interests make sure he personally is secure whilst he risks my future.

He has a belief system based on greed is good for the self selected few.

I’ll be honest, I don’t like him.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Â