The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

To be fair to Osborne, the reason, or part of it, there's been a bit of a rush for these companies to "volunteer" agreements with HMRC to pay a modicum of tax, is because after the start if the next financial year, they will be liable to a much more hefty new charge for tax avoidance - any money they are deemed to have shuffled around to artificially avoid tax, will be taxed at something like 30%.

So if they volunteer to settle it before that comes into effect, they will save themselves a tidy sum. Facebook will be next.

Interesting piece on Cecil Parkinson.

Parkinson, Sara insists, had tried to persuade her to abort her baby, but she refused. Shortly after her birth, Flora developed serious health problems and Parkinson applied for and won a court injunction that was almost unprecedented in British law.

It forbade anyone, including Sara, from speaking of Flora publicly or doing almost anything that could lead to her identity being revealed. It prevented even Flora talking of her life.

So far-reaching were its powers that Flora's schools have had to go to extreme lengths to conceal her identity - thus she has never been photographed alongside her classmates or been allowed to take part in any school activity.

Telegraph

Possibly slightly off-track for this thread, but there doesn't seem to be one more suitable and it isn't worth starting a new one -

Everyone with any sort of inflated sense of self-importance has of course spent the last couple of weeks in Davos, which is where the One World Government meet to dictate the politics of the next year dedicated businessmen and politicians ponder how to make the world a better place. 

Plenty of guff and business-bollix is spoken during Davos, and this guy (https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/01/36-best-quotes-of-davos-2016) has collected some of the ripest nonsense - real 24-carat groaners - for your delectation. My favourite wisdom-quotes:

U2SCzBxivIHTeXdK9yk67zCFerGaGijYZ9IW3GYw

3-XXuqpMOlguOvsufAdDFRbbEiCz8g_vvIybI1xL

voRMraTuCTRgRoZQxUgOAv18Rc0qOa6IdWN5JlQF

-0a8-1WTqTo4pxKm30UsEsCG8uj-MOPDaiZTktTN

ZR1LmTfIrOEXkC2FwfJJBoCYLiY4Hd_VHShEdldn

Thanks, Davos!

This lot are ON FIRE at the moment. 

Bedroom tax court battles lost (going to appeal again, wonder how much that will cost tax payer) - they fundamentally disagree with protecting victims of domestic abuse and disabled. Nice. 

Cameron calls refugees at Calais 'a bunch of migrants' in PMQ debate - mask slipped Dave?

And the best one, over half a decade after they took power, it's labours fault Google haven't paid any Tax. 

How many more years of this have we got left again? 

Edited by wazzap24
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

This lot are ON FIRE at the moment. 

Bedroom tax court battles lost (going to appeal again, wonder how much that will cost tax payer) - they fundamentally disagree with protecting victims of domestic abuse and disabled. Nice. 

Cameron calls refugees at Calais 'a bunch of migrants' in PMQ debate - mask slipped Dave?

And the best one, over half a decade after they took power, it's labours fault Google haven't paid any Tax. 

How many more years of this have we got left again? 

If you think it'll be any different under a Labour government, who ever is in charge, you will be very disappointed.

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

Depends how many idiots with Stockholm syndrome vote for them next time.

It's funny really. I work in the private sector, in a reasonably affluent area, with a decent wage, reasonably healthy, don't often have to see the doctor much, don't really need benefits. Yet I could never bring myself to vote Tory. I just can't bring myself to hate people less fortunate than myself.

and yet you seem to have had no problem hating people more fortunate than yourself  ....

I kid , I kid   , you just deserved it for the sterotype remark  ...

• Like 2

Seems the only people able to put up any resistance against the vindictive nasty policies of the government is the house of lords, they have just voted against the £30 cut in WRAG group esa, seems they disagree with IDS' idea that people are deciding that £30 a week is a huge incentive for them to be born disabled or to develop serious health conditions that leave them unable to work through disability and ill health.

comes on the back of the HOL deciding yesterday, that if the government want to increase child poverty through benefit cuts etc, then they should bloody well have to admit what they have done, that it's not really cricket to attempt to hide the effects of your policies by redefining poverty perversely in an attempt  to doctor the figures. 

On 1/27/2016 at 20:11, mockingbird_franklin said:

Seems the only people able to put up any resistance against the vindictive nasty policies of the government is the house of lords.

The judiciary are getting involved too.

Bedroom Tax deemed 'discriminatory' and 'unlawful' by Court of Appeal judges

Independent

6 hours ago, Xann said:

The judiciary are getting involved too.

Independent

I read about 2 of the bedroom tax cases appealed. One was a family with a disabled child needed a spare room for the carer, ok fair play. The other I read about was a women being physically abused by her partner and she needed the spare room as it had been converted into a panic room. I mean women really live like this???

4 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

I read about 2 of the bedroom tax cases appealed. One was a family with a disabled child needed a spare room for the carer, ok fair play. The other I read about was a women being physically abused by her partner and she needed the spare room as it had been converted into a panic room. I mean women really live like this???

Back when i was in my early 20's I used to install and repair Apple computers ... One of the sites I had to reguarly attend in London was a shelter for women victims of domestic abuse ... It was a real eye opener these women were so brow beaten they were almost afraid of their own shadows , some of the residents were literally scared of men to the point  that a woman would have to enter the room before me to check some of the more sensitive women could leave ... Broken bones and physical wounds to go along with the mental scarring ...

It may sound crazy and even extreme to most of us but it was so shocking and sad  that I can still recall it vividly 25 years later 

• Like 3

I think we need some support for Dukin Doughnut smith and his idiotic ideas. Well this makes as much sense as anything dunikn' comes out with

Lazy spare bedrooms despised by hard-working master bedrooms

28-01-16

small bedroom 425x265

HARD-WORKING master bedrooms have spoken out against idle spare bedrooms that do nothing but claim benefits.

Following spare bedrooms’ legal victory against the bedroom tax, bedrooms that put in at least eight hours every night have demanded that something be done about their work-shy neighbours.

Bedroom Tom Booker said: “It makes me furious to see them lounging around in their polyester bedclothes, all ‘Oh yeah, I’m a bedroom too, I just can’t find anyone to sleep in me,’ curtains still closed at noon.

“Every night I’ve got people sweating and shedding skin cells all over me, not to mention the sex, but I don’t complain because it’s my job.

“I know some have it even worse – the kids’ bedrooms, or the teenagers’ bedrooms with the black paint, recreational drugs, and self-abuse – but I don’t see why housing an exercise bike and a set of golf clubs gives them the right to call themselves bedrooms.

“Being converted to a home office is too good for them, in my opinion.”

Spare bedroom Nikki Hollis, appearing on The Jeremy Kyle Show, said: “I would be a full-time bedroom if I could.

“It’s not my fault I’m small and a bit of an awkward L-shape.”

Â