The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

Interesting that Social media may have been a key area  in the election result ?

The Conservatives spent £1.2m on Facebook campaigning for the General Election - £1m more than nearest rival UKIP, new figures show.

The Tory spend accounts for 88.3% of all the party spending for election advertising on the social media site.

Labour spent just £16,455, less than UKIP, the Lib Dems and even the Green Party, the figures released by the Electoral Commission showed.

A report released by Dame Margaret Beckett on Tuesday on how Labour lost the election recommended the party work on its social media campaigning for 2020.

The Conservatives were the biggest spenders, forking out £15.6m, ahead of Labour on £12m, the Liberal Democrats on £3.5m and UKIP on £2.8m.

No figure for Ed's famous stone though

20 hours ago, villa4europe said:

The answer is that people who come here to live should have some sort of notion to at least try and learn the language, because of the infrastructure reasons xela mentioned, I'd add that it shows that you are at least trying to get a job too and f course it does aid integration

However if the Tories list all of those reasons they're at risk of sounding too right wing

I see your point, except it's kind of spoilt by the tories adding "and if they don't we'll send 'em back" on the end - so they clearly weren't worried about sounding right wing. I think they actually wanted to appear a bit swivel eyes mad - going for the barmpot vote, again.

I also don't think that the view "people who come here to live should have some sort of notion to at least try and learn the language" as you put it, is in any way right wing. it's apolitical to my eyes, at least.

On ‎20‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 17:22, blandy said:

Another reason to have now't to do with spacebook.

Sowshal Meeeja played a bit part in Jez's triumph (and continuing popularity).

1 hour ago, Jon said:

Sowshal Meeeja played a bit part in Jez's triumph (and continuing popularity).

what are you measuring this continuing popularity against ?  ... it can't be the shadow cabinet that's for sure  :) 

12 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I'm so PC that I presumed Sowshal Meeja would be some asian political campaigner or marketing guru I should be aware of.

But then I found myself about to google the name to see if she was fit. Not as PC as I thought I was.

I always read threads last post and  upwards  when I re-join after a while  .. for shame I just Googled "her "  .. before seeing Jon's post and seeing what was being referred to

Edited by tonyh29

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I presumed Sowshal Meeja would be some asian political campaigner ....I found myself about to google the name to see if she was fit

Ha ha serves you right  - She's a 'he'. Now who's laughing.

The tories sort of did a good thing. They recently increased the number of Marine reserves/conservation areas. Admittedly it's a token effort, there's no management plan and its completely half arsed, but they still did it. They should have done it properly, but even so, it's a bit better than doing nothing.

13 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Is this the Ascension Island protection thing  or something else ?

Something else. UK coastline. 

Back to the "learn English" thing. Last year they halved the budget for teaching English to immigrants, so it really is more of Cameron talking utter rubbish. Or lying, more accurately.

47 minutes ago, blandy said:

Something else. UK coastline. 

Back to the "learn English" thing. Last year they halved the budget for teaching English to immigrants, so it really is more of Cameron talking utter rubbish. Or lying, more accurately.

seeing as we are talking about a politician, and the leader of the arguably (and I thought new labour under blair/brown was unbelievable terrible) the most deceitful and despicable uk government ever. my money is on lying, bending the truth, misleading, misrepresentation of the facts or however you want to put it, it's one thing this government excels at, probably why they do it so much, they stick to what they are good at, must be good as on the whole they get away with it with minimal journalistic or public scrutiny, heaven knows there isn't a fat lot of anything else this bunch of clearing in the woods are good at. In the interest of fairness, maybe Osbourne was a mean towel folder, and Cameron does a mean impersonation of a boiled ham.

Who knows though, with the grasp of mathematics Cameron and Osbourne have displayed their calculations could show anything.

Edited by mockingbird_franklin

On 24/01/2016 at 10:23, tonyh29 said:

Good of the tories to collect the tax from Google that labour forgot between 2005 and 2010

The Tories haven't collected anything, HMRC have. The same HMRC that has been 'investigating' Google's tax situation for a number of years (I heard 6 being reported) and the same HMRC that has done this deal with Google. So, nothing about Labour forgetting anything between 2005 and 2010 (or about the Tories - with their little helpers - forgetting anything between 2010 and 2015) or about the Tories collecting anything.

Not surprised that it has been presented this way in your post, though.

Edit: That the deal reached has been presented as a 'result' by HMRC is rather pathetic.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

The Tories haven't collected anything, HMRC have. The same HMRC that has been 'investigating' Google's tax situation for a number of years (I heard 6 being reported) and the same HMRC that has done this deal with Google. So, nothing about Labour forgetting anything between 2005 and 2010 (or about the Tories - with their little helpers - forgetting anything between 2010 and 2015) or about the Tories collecting anything.

Not surprised that it has been presented this way in your post, though.

Edit: That the deal reached has been presented as a 'result' by HMRC is rather pathetic.

Osborne claimed it was a major success - That's the same Osborne that has chopped 11,000 HMRC jobs.

30 minutes ago, blandy said:

Osborne claimed it was a major success - That's the same Osborne that has chopped 11,000 HMRC jobs.

this was in 2010  and at the risk of an Ahh but  Staff levels , fell from 97,073 in April 2005 to 66,992 in November 2010  , which  suggests a bloated department since the merger of the inland revenue and Revenue and customs  so not necessarily just something to beat Osborne with ..... , the original plan called for 19,000 job cuts but I think some money was found down the back of the sofa  in exchange for promising to bring more money in from tax dodgers

3 hours ago, blandy said:

Osborne claimed it was a major success

Seems like the No 10 lobby briefing isn't being quite as self-congratulatory about it.

Also (as per my post earlier), the reports that I have seen have said that this payment by Google is regarding the last decade (i.e. from 2005-2015); Osborne claimed that - Beeb link:

"These taxes are being paid on profits that were made under a Labour government and no tax was collected by that Labour government."

He's either forgetting that he was chancellor and in government between 2010 and 2015 or the deal doesn't involve any tax being paid for the years 2010 to 2015 inclusive. :detect::)

Edit: Listening to some of the stuff in parliament, it would seem that the settlement is for the period 2005-2011. What about 2011 onwards?

Edited by snowychap

Â