The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

I see that Cameron has been 'pre-announcing' stuff about regeneration of sink estates.

The details of that will be interesting (though we'll have to wait until the Autumn statement for the panel to return with their proposals, I think). Having read snippets and seen the clip of Cameron on Marr, I fear that it's mostly just another ruse to attack the housing stock available in the social sector.

BBC link

There should be both affordable housing for rent and to buy, Mr Cameron said, but "a shift towards more affordable housing to buy" was needed.

Cameron's article in the Sunday Times

A raft of pointless planning rules, local politics and tenants’ concerns about whether regeneration would be done fairly all prevented progress. And if we’re honest, there often just wasn’t the political will and momentum in government to cut through all of this to get things done.

...we’ll publish an Estates Regeneration Strategy that will sweep away the planning blockages and take new steps to reduce political and reputational risk for projects’ key decision-makers and investors.

Improve estates? Sure. But I'll be bloody surprised if there are not significantly fewer homes for social rent in these areas after the generation and I wonder how many7 of those living in the areas currently will get the chance to access the regenerated areas. In the link from above, it does say:

The panel will also establish a set of binding guarantees for tenants and homeowners so that they are protected.

However, what that will amount to is anyone's guess. It won't help if the guarantee is just to be rehoused (that could well be in a very different area), it won't help if the guarantee means that in order to remain in those areas people will have to pay significantly increased rents (social up to affordable) and it won't help any owners if their housing isn't replaced like for like in the same area (i.e. 2 bed for 2 bed). That's before one gets on to how binding any guarantee from a government or a quango may be.

Edited by snowychap

One thing after the next with these arsewipes.

Conservative MPs have voted to reject a proposed rule that would have required private landlords to make their homes “fit for human habitation”.The vote, which came on Tuesday night, was on proposed amendment to the Government’s new Housing and Planning Bill – a raft of new laws aimed at reforming housing law.

The Labour-proposed amendment was rejected by 312 votes to 219, however. 

Landlord Tory MP opposes law to make homes fit for human habitation. According to Parliament’s register of interests, 72 of the MPs who voted against the amendment are themselves landlords who derive an income from a property.

Independent

“This race to the bottom will erode quality of care and kill, or harm patients”

A privatised system diverts money away from patient care. Incentives to deny care will damage the trust and confidence between doctors and patients. Unsafe, low quality care will be delivered and the cheapest staff will be employed. This burdens medics with risk to patients and themselves. Privatisation leads to corporate pressure to conform and collude with fraud, covering up patient harm. 

“We are living in the greatest betrayal of public interest”

Another experienced healthcare professional - Realmedia

Tories and chums exploiting the PFI mistakes of the previous Labour administration.

We're being robbed blind, then we're turned over for oh-so-easy megabucks for the suits.

These days I prefer the immigrants to the Tory voters.

I don't normally mind Portillo, even when I often fail to agree with him, but the crap that he has come out with about 'professionals' don't come out on strike and that because junior doctors have means they are not professional is shoddy. It's the kind of stuff that would have made Thatch proud.

• Like 1

Usual stuff about SIs: Student maintenance grants are going to be abolished by way of an SI - which means no vote by the HoC but, as helpfully pointed out by that utter git Grayling, a debate in committee (which merely requires nodding dogs to say the issue has been considered).

That'll be your democracy working for ya.

• Like 1

They get £8200 and start to pay it back once they earn £21k

seems reasonable to me 

mabe be they could extend the scheme to working people on low incomes instead of those people having to resort to wonga and their immoral rates ?

16 minutes ago, snowychap said:

What's that got to do with student maintenance grants being binned via Statutory Instrument?

seeing as the £8200 payment is what the student maintenance grants are being replaced with I'd have thought it was obvious .....  but from your response I take it you weren't interested in what the grant was sensibly being replaced with  and were more concerned  at the (perceived ) underhand way it was being brought about ...

@tonyh29

My original post said:

9 hours ago, snowychap said:

Usual stuff about SIs: Student maintenance grants are going to be abolished by way of an SI - which means no vote by the HoC but, as helpfully pointed out by that utter git Grayling, a debate in committee (which merely requires nodding dogs to say the issue has been considered).

That'll be your democracy working for ya.

Try reading the post I made and have a punt at what I was posting about.

2 hours ago, meregreen said:

We are rapidly going backwards under the Tories. They really don't give a toss about ordinary people. Sad.

Is this like my Nan saying things ain't what they used to be in the good old days or do you have a particular reference point in mind of where we are going backwards from ?

and who are "ordinary people" ?  , people with 2 arms and 2 legs , hard working decent honest nurses / teachers or  just anyone who didn't vote Tory ?

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Is this like my Nan saying things ain't what they used to be in the good old days or do you have a particular reference point in mind of where we are going backwards from ?

and who are "ordinary people" ?  , people with 2 arms and 2 legs , hard working decent honest nurses / teachers or  just anyone who didn't vote Tory ?

Workers rights are being eroded, the Welfare State is under attack,public assets are being flogged off cheap to Tory sympathizing hedge funds,affordable rented accomodation is fast disappearing as private landlords take more and more housing stock,the greatest institution of all, the NHS is covertly being readied for handing over to Tory supporting medical insurance companies,planning rules are being eased ,schools are being removed from accountability to local elected people,all of this is retrogade in its concept.Now we have a return to the rotten boroughs, where constituencies do nottruly reflect their populations, only their registered voters, guess which party that favours. Ordinary people are all around us, and yes they include teachers and nurses, factory workers, shop workers and a multitude of other professions, they also include the unemployed, sick and disabled. The Tories don;t give a damn about any of them.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Workers rights are being eroded, the Welfare State is under attack,public assets are being flogged off cheap to Tory sympathizing hedge funds,affordable rented accomodation is fast disappearing as private landlords take more and more housing stock,the greatest institution of all, the NHS is covertly being readied for handing over to Tory supporting medical insurance companies,planning rules are being eased ,schools are being removed from accountability to local elected people,all of this is retrogade in its concept.Now we have a return to the rotten boroughs, where constituencies do nottruly reflect their populations, only their registered voters, guess which party that favours. Ordinary people are all around us, and yes they include teachers and nurses, factory workers, shop workers and a multitude of other professions, they also include the unemployed, sick and disabled. The Tories don;t give a damn about any of them.

well  , at least you are being open minded about it all   .......

7 hours ago, meregreen said:

We are rapidly going backwards under the Tories. They really don't give a toss about ordinary people. Sad.

what are "ordinary people" ??

So I see that Jeremy Hunt is already talking about ignoring the strikes, and using the 'nuclear option' of telling the doctors to **** off, and imposing the new contract no matter what they say.

So much for the doctors being the ones refusing to negotiate, eh? It's no wonder that "word removed" is a synonym for the most offensive name in the English language.

• Like 4

Â