The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

17 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I would be quite suspicious of a report that told me 1 in 5 16 to 19 year olds were 'functionally innumerate and illiterate'. I'd wager that figure isn't correct by a fair old distance and that the terms used are doing a lot of heavy lifting there.

tbf they did say 1 in 5 were functionally innumerate ,maybe that person did the report

3 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

the number of teachers increased by 220k between 2005 and 2014.

The number of teachers and support staff grew to 1.3m in the same period, which includes 471k teaching assistants.

Any ideas, why?  

One guess would be that maybe the population increase of 4.6 million people in that time, plus or including demographic changes would be a major factor?

455,000 teachers and 255,000 teaching assistants seems about the right ball park figure, doesn't it. The remaining 232.0 thousand support staff from the 1.3 million are not teaching people, they're non-classroom based support staff.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, darrenm said:

Luxury

Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing 'Hallelujah.'

You went to bed? Pansy. 

4 hours ago, bobzy said:

The initial pay scale is very similar compared to "graduate" jobs, but it very, very swiftly falls absolutely miles behind.  Even compared to other non-degree-necessary jobs, teaching pays well initially but with no added benefit.

I have no idea where you're getting 3 months without childcare from?

Also, lol at wanting to "kill" for a 60/70 hour week at £27k/year :D 

Ha, I know....I am perhaps a little too passionate about my job but it's my own fault and I accept that. Also, way too strong a word...oops lol

If you're a teacher with children you have 3 months off a year, that's 3 months where you have a legitimate choice to not pay for childcare. 

You are also much easier to sack in the private sector, typically due to to contractual arrangements and targets. I also covered some of the other benefits and I'll throw in an ability to be wage hungry within education; for example, manager points, working abroad, being a man in primary education, moving from secondary to primary, failing as a teacher and so working in teaching related roles ha. Some public sector jobs provide key worker housing, as do some of the super wealthy companies taking on cherry picked graduates.

Many self employed people and those on temporary (2/3 year) contracts also find it much tougher to get a mortgage. That means they are even further from buying a home.

I accept that other public sector roles involve fewer promotion opportunities but that is a similar problem faced by say, the manager of a shop. Who is probably a graduate ;)

This might not feel important but to the very many people who are on the median salary, it is, especially when the cost of living in some places continues spiralling out of control. 

I am not arguing that we shouldn't pay our public sector staff more fairly but I don't think it's fair to forget about the many who struggle because they're in the private sector churn.

Mrs May has chosen today, the day on which the (formerly great and formally something else) Repeal Bill is published, to have her first 'one-on-one, in-depth' (they're 5 Live's words not mine) interview since the election.

Mere coincidence, surely?

18 hours ago, blandy said:

One guess would be that maybe the population increase of 4.6 million people in that time, plus or including demographic changes would be a major factor?

455,000 teachers and 255,000 teaching assistants seems about the right ball park figure, doesn't it. The remaining 232.0 thousand support staff from the 1.3 million are not teaching people, they're non-classroom based support staff.

I was wondering whether the recruitment drive under New Labour and the increase of 50% in spending since 1997 (adjusted for inflation) had produced the expected improvements.

According to the OECD rankings, UK 15-year-olds don't get into the top 20 nations when it comes to reading and maths.

2 hours ago, snowychap said:

Mrs May has chosen today, the day on which the (formerly great and formally something else) Repeal Bill is published, to have her first 'one-on-one, in-depth' (they're 5 Live's words not mine) interview since the election.

No she just wants people to share her vision. That was the problem in the election, not enough people saw her vision.

3 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

According to the OECD rankings, UK 15-year-olds don't get into the top 20 nations when it comes to reading and maths.

But they know a good joint when they smoke one.

6 hours ago, snowychap said:

It's also a year to the day since she became PM.

15 hours ago, Xann said:
19 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

But they know a good joint when they smoke one.

You might be onto something there,  nobody knows how to read or write in Holland.  Yep,  it's all linked to joints.

Making it freely available to all with no crime or gangs running it means everything is run by trained monkeys in Holland now.  We have all had a joint and thus cannot do anything at all ever now,  wish were were like everyone in the UK such deep knowledge on the subject.  The development of reading skills happens when people are young,  how does "know a good joint when they smoke one"  come into the conversation ? You could have said,  yeah,  "bet they know how to rape a Ostrich".  I just don't uderstand.

8 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I just don't understand.

Del Boy:
[taking the rise out of Rodney wanting to get a job] Yes, sir, I have qualifications. I have two GCE's, a suspended sentence and I know a good joint when I puffed one!

My misquote. Should have been puffed.

Members of the public are unable be able to submit any petitions to Parliament this summer thanks to Tory MPs.

Conservative backbenchers are delaying elections to Parliamentary committees until September - including the one which runs the petition website.

No new petitions have been allowed since Parliament broke up for the election on May 3, and all those open at the time were closed.

Huff

Personally I'm looking forward to the report on the failing rail franchises.

It's completed, but the Tories thought they'd leave the bad news until after the election.

Erm...... Where's that prick Grayling???

So yesterday I read a couple of articles online  about how Rees Mogg is becoming the Tory equiv of a Corbyn and somehow appealing to young voters and a dark horse for leader ( I don't actually know if he had ambitions in this area and him being a catholic might make it interesting to boot )

today I'm reading about how he his has interests in oil and Tobacco companies that he didn't disclose when lobbying on their behalf

is it May briefing the media against any would be challengers or would be challengers briefing against each other ...person with the least dirt on them wins ?  

Edited by tonyh29

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Rees Mogg is becoming the Tory equiv of a Corbyn and somehow appealing to young voters

I saw them trying to start this one. Someone's trolling. :crylaugh:

7 minutes ago, darrenm said:

I saw them trying to start this one. Someone's trolling. :crylaugh:

Tbf we probably said the same when Corbyn's name appeared on the ballot ...  

Â