The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

Just now, Xela said:

I don't care if my MP is slick and can talk the talk,

I take your point, but it's not the run of the mill MPs it's the leaders. I think from body language, from voice and other indicators it's possible to distinguish between people's abilities in some respects. It's also possible to see who means what they say, to hear why they think it, or where they are just spouting something they think will be popular.

It also allows a little more visibility for smaller parties who mostly get crowded out of coverage on other TV and in the press.

33 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

My word, no wonder May doesn't want to do debates.

She has been shambolic in PMQ's today.

She is pretty sharp tongued when prepared but when questioned directly I'm not sure she's either stern enough to be like Thatcher or evasive enough to be like Cameron.

Having said that I have probably seen 2 questions from Corbyn which made me think hmmmm, how would I answer that. He's a horrible questioner despite having great material. 

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I missed that?

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

she "mis-spoke" saying "prevent" instead of "promote".

Yeah. That.

Everyone makes mistakes of course but given she should be drilled on these things and they've stamped down on anything 'off script', so no questions from the audience etc, she shouldn't really be making simple errors like that. Especially given how clear on sloganeering they've been so far - PMQs today was embarrassing for that.

I imagine her performance in a debate would be infuriating.

Then again she's proven walking through the raindrops gets her places. She's only got to be PM by carefully avoiding flack during the referendum.

• Like 1

I’m still grappling with what a red white and blue vicar’s Brexit breakfast is. I can’t be juggling what was meant by promoting or preventing tourism or terrorism.

Let me be quite clear on this. As they all like to say just before not answering a question.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

she "mis-spoke" saying "prevent" instead of "promote".

without knowing the discussion , I'm confused now

Was she trying to prevent tourism or promote terrorism  ?

The Garden Bridge has been scrapped, but . . .:

'The blame lies firmly with former mayor Boris Johnson, the one actor in this sorry saga who refused to comply with Margaret Hodge’s recent inquiry into the project. Her investigation found multiple failings from the start, from the Garden Bridge Trust’s shaky business case (which put a lot of faith in the lucrative potential of selling T-shirts and pens), to a tendering process that was “not open, fair or competitive”, to confusion as to what the project was even for, concluding that the bridge should be scrapped before it burned through any more cash. And it all comes back to Boris.

It was Johnson who took up his childhood chum Lumley’s idea for the sylvan crossing (which was initially conceived as a memorial to Princess Diana and pitched to Ken Livingstone, who had the good sense to say no) and had it bulldozed through the system with flagrant disregard for due process. Hodge’s report found that his deputy mayor for transport, Isabel Dedring, and Transport for London’s director of planning, Richard de Cani, saw to it that the choice of Lumley’s team of Thomas Heatherwick and engineering giant Arup was a foregone conclusion. The team was allowed to revise their bid while their competitors were not, the scoring was found to be irregular, while de Cani admitted that he alone judged the bids.

In a move that has raised concerns over conflict of interest, both Dedring and de Cani now enjoy senior positions at Arup, where most of the £37.4m of public funding spent to date has been funnelled; TfL and the department for transport have both denied any such conflict.'

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2017/apr/28/garden-bridge-dead-38m-public-money-repaid-boris-johnson

. . . . at least somebody got out okay. I mean, it would have been terrible if both the politicians and the taxpayers had lost out, wouldn't it?

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 2

The Tory MP for the Isle of Wight momentarily forgot he wasn't among his tory mates, and let loose with some absurd homophobic comments. 

He's already resigned, and in his resignation note says he supports the strong and stable Tory leadership. They regurgitate the meaningless soundbites even when resigning in disgrace.

Â