The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

So your glorious PM omitted to tell parliament that Trident had a huge screw up test off the coast of Florida a couple of weeks prior to the vote?

Only the 40 odd Billion pound decision... how is she still in her job!

9 minutes ago, villakram said:

So your glorious PM omitted to tell parliament that Trident had a huge screw up test off the coast of Florida a couple of weeks prior to the vote?

Only the 40 odd Billion pound decision... how is she still in her job!

She's an utter scumbag. Only people with no morals vote for her and her party.

It wouldn't have made a difference if it had been announced up front. Trident was always going to be renewed.

I'm not even sure the failure is that big of a deal. Things go wrong in missile tests. It's almost the point. Things have gone wrong quite a lot with Trident. I remember reading a few years ago that at one point we came to do some maintenance on stored warheads and discovered a bunch of them were no longer operational, and they were so old all the people that knew how to correctly fully refurbish the missiles had retired.

The hiding the failure is probably a bigger deal.

• Like 1

Whether Trident works or not isn't really the important bit of the £205bn missile system that we'll never use. The important bit is the moving £205bn of taxpayers money into private hands. It's an economic weapon much more effectively than it's a genuine weapon. If Trident is happening, Trident works.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Whether it works or not is quite important.

I know the point you're trying to make, but you've thrown the baby with the bathwater in making it.

I think I'm with OBE? on this one. 

It matters from a deterence perspective that nobody knows if it doesn't work, but from a military perspective it matters hardly at all IMO. We're basically committed to only firing the thing in such a situation that we're all basically dead anyway, and it's quite probable that any decent human being who happens to occupy number 10 won't indiscriminately kill tens of millions of innocent Russians/whoevers as their final act before disappearing in a puff of green smoke. And frankly, whether they would or wouldn't interests me not a jot once I'm dead.

However, I do see that the government needs to do everything it can to pretend that it works, even if it doesn't. 

People have enjoyed speculating on the written order that each PM leaves in the sealed envelope, only to be opened in the eventuality that Britain has been nuked off the face of the earth.

It'd be amusing to find out that they've each just written "sorry chaps, they don't work".

• Like 1

Given that it's entire purpose is deterrence, hence that technically it is 'used' constantly, it's fairly important that it works. If there is even the suggestion that you're bluffing, the gun is loaded with blanks, you undermine the entire threat.

And given how bad governments are at hiding things, even when nobody is poking trying to find out if anything is being hidden, it's rather silly to be bluffing.

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

People have enjoyed speculating on the written order that each PM leaves in the sealed envelope, only to be opened in the eventuality that Britain has been nuked off the face of the earth.

It'd be amusing to find out that they've each just written "sorry chaps, they don't work".

I'd stake good money May's would say 'Kill them all'. Or simply 'Fire'.

I like to think this was written about any Tory PM

Father Dougal: Oh God yeah, he hates the sick. And the poor. He hates the poor as well.
Father Ted: Oh the poor really get on his nerves.
Father Dougal: And the needy.
Father Ted: Them as well. What was it he used to say about the needy? He had a term for them…
Father Dougal: A shower of bastards.
Father Ted: That was it.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

What an insufferable word removed. How can someone watch this and think she should be leading the government.

I know you won't answer so instead of kicking you off the air, I'm going to allow you to do that and we'll just carry on like nothing at all happened, and you can continue to use this as a political platform. Wonderful.

Yes, she's a complete and utter arse, but the pandering media is just as bad.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

It wouldn't have made a difference if it had been announced up front. Trident was always going to be renewed.

I'm not even sure the failure is that big of a deal. Things go wrong in missile tests. It's almost the point. Things have gone wrong quite a lot with Trident. I remember reading a few years ago that at one point we came to do some maintenance on stored warheads and discovered a bunch of them were no longer operational, and they were so old all the people that knew how to correctly fully refurbish the missiles had retired.

The hiding the failure is probably a bigger deal.

Yes, but I doubt the vote would have happened when it did (hence more media cycles and political damage for Her moroness) and there's no way the vote would have been as lopsided as it was. This is exactly the sort of thing that should cost a political leader their job (the cover-up is always always worse!). Politics is completely broken right now.

Â