The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

Really shocking news that he’s been murdered.

Its hard to know what the answer is, it’s not really practical to give 650 people round the clock security. 

It is not round the clock but  a couple of hours a week for surgery meetings. Something has to change  or more will be killed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I wonder what the motive for this will turn out to be

You'd have a list as long as your arm to bet on.

Guy was a long standing Tory MP, very socially conservative - anti abortion, anti LGBTQ rights, pro death penalty, etc, pro Brexit... about the only thing he seems to be not right wing Tory on way fox hunting. And that's without accounting for local issues that may have escalated to murderous intent.

9 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I wonder what the motive for this will turn out to be

Possibly somebody aggrieved by Tory policy or Brexit (of which Amess was a prominent supporter).  No excuse whatsoever of course but they were the first things that came to mind.

43 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Guy was a long standing Tory MP, very socially conservative - anti abortion, anti LGBTQ rights, pro death penalty, etc, pro Brexit... about the only thing he seems to be not right wing Tory on way fox hunting. And that's without accounting for local issues that may have escalated to murderous intent.

Whilst all that is true, he was also responsible for the Protection Against Cruel Tethering Act (1988) and the Warm Homes and Energy Conservation Act 2000, the later of which vastly reduced the number of households classed as being in fuel poverty. He was bad on many things but he wasn't all bad

• Like 2

My partner loosely knows his daughter and apparently she got married in a small ceremony over in the US during covid, and they were planning to hold a bigger "proper" ceremony for when the covid rules in the US were loosened (which looks like it was just announced today). I'm guessing he wasn't able to be at the first ceremony given the US just slammed the door on immigration in the early stages of covid.

It's really sad when you hear a little thing like that, it really drives home how many people are affected by something like this.

47 minutes ago, bickster said:

Whilst all that is true, he was also responsible for the Protection Against Cruel Tethering Act (1988) and the Warm Homes and Energy Conservation Act 2000, the later of which vastly reduced the number of households classed as being in fuel poverty. He was bad on many things but he wasn't all bad

Was also quite good on fire safety as he chaired the relevant committee:

• Like 2

My point wasn't that he was some kind of irredeemable monster (even if his politics in the main is grim). It was to point out a few things that might lead to someone wanting to kill him, following the question on possible motivations.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TreeVillan said:

If Tony Blair can have round the clock public security (I think at three of his properties, I could be wrong) then I don't see why we can't have basic security for current MPs. 

Ex PMs can have security for life. 

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

He was very pro leaseholder in the current 'cladding crisis' leaseholders are going through, going against the Tory party line. 

21 minutes ago, Xela said:

Ex PMs can have security for life. 

You'd think that some form of security (not necessarily armed) could be put in place for these types of meetings. Wouldn't be a guarantee of course but could easily try provent people entering with Knives etc. 

31 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

You'd think that some form of security (not necessarily armed) could be put in place for these types of meetings. Wouldn't be a guarantee of course but could easily try provent people entering with Knives etc. 

I assume if the MP thinks it’s necessary then it would be arranged. 

Â