The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

4 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

While I think it's fairly safe to assume that whatever is the most devious, untrustworthy thing a government can do, this one will do it - why would they?

Presumably all / most of the MPs who voted against the Programme Motion would vote against that as well, for the same reason. And the Government goes into an election campaign looking even more weird and shifty than they normally do...

I'm not sure there's any point in trying to divine the rhyme and the reason behind this government's choices.

I'm not suggesting that it's likely. I just share Dunt's suspicion - mainly because of the nature of the government and its leaders.

I doubt anything they would do in Parliament could make them look any more shifty than they already do. :)

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

While I think it's fairly safe to assume that whatever is the most devious, untrustworthy thing a government can do, this one will do it - why would they?

Presumably all / most of the MPs who voted against the Programme Motion would vote against that as well, for the same reason. And the Government goes into an election campaign looking even more weird and shifty than they normally do...

Perhaps Cummings - sorry, I mean Johnson - isn't as confident about a Tory majority as others are?

Maybe they see the reintroduction and passing it as the only way to a Tory majority? They somehow get a new programme motion through and the WAB passes thrid reading => election goes ahead with Johnson running on a 'we done the deal' line?

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Just for the record, I'm in favour of this.

Yep, imagine what we could do with all the funds diverted to creating big weapons that will unlikely ever be used, all so we can show off in a ‘who’s got a big dick’ contest.

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Yep, imagine what we could do with all the funds diverted to creating big weapons that will unlikely ever be used, all so we can show off in a ‘who’s got a big dick’ contest.

Danegeld?

23 minutes ago, snowychap said:

They somehow get a new programme motion through and the WAB passes thrid reading

"Somehow" is doing a lot of heavy lifting in that sentence.

If this happens, it's not tomorrow as the order of business has already been submitted. So this all has to happen Monday/ Tuesday / Wednesday of next week. 

Including getting through the Lords (and their inevitable filibustering and amendments) and vying for Parliamentary time with the not-insignificant matter of electing a new speaker. 

All with a Parliament  who didn't want to do it before they had just legislated for a new election . 

I wouldn't rule anything out, but I just don't see who helps the Government out here who didn't last time. 

Edited by ml1dch

8 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Danegeld?

It is wrong to put temptation in the path of any nation,
For fear they should succumb and go astray;
So when you are requested to pay up or be molested,
You will find it better policy to say:

"We never pay any-one Dane-geld,
No matter how trifling the cost;
For the end of that game is oppression and shame,
And the nation that plays it is lost!"

1 minute ago, ml1dch said:

"Somehow" is doing a lot of heavy lifting in that sentence.

If this happens, it's not tomorrow as the order of business has already been submitted. So this all has to happen Monday/ Tuesday / Wednesday of next week. 

Including getting through the Lords (and their inevitable filibustering and amendments) and vying for Parliamentary time with the not-insignificant matter of electing a new speaker. 

All with a Parliament  who didn't want to do it without an election that they just legislated for. 

I wouldn't rule anything out, but I just don't see who helps the Government  out here who didn't last time. 

The lifting of Atlas.

There's plenty more ways that it doesn't happen than it does. Perhaps I'm second guessing more than is healthy.

I'm making no predictions - I'm just gaming things with the added input that the current lying, duplicitous administration may actually be playing a game that we haven't even been introduced to, yet.

Oi you Solihull dwelling Tory buggers get your policies straight and defend yourselves in my newly created election thread - if it lasts longer than this evening given it has no replies, yet. FWIW I worked with Jess Phillips' husband in a pub, and she's a terrible idea - so if Jezza bombs maybe I'll turn blue too.... 

They must all represent Wellingborough

Tory MPs have been accused of a “shocking lack of awareness” after jeering Jeremy Corbyn for wearing a green tie to honour the victims of the Grenfell tower fire – in front of survivors and families sat the Commons public gallery.

Huffy

What cuts to the fire service did Johnson make as Mayor?

I’m sure the nasty little liar will have his hand up to take his share of the Grenfell shame.

Closed fire stations, reduced the number of officers and sold off fire engines.

Bullingdon word removed.

6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Closed fire stations, reduced the number of officers and sold off fire engines.

Unfortunately due to the nature of this fire and the communication  problems on the night in question,  30 more fire engines and 50 more firemen could have turned up and the death toll would be the same.  They (residents) were told to stay put, once this was found to be the wrong thing to do it was far too late to reverse this decision becasue of the cladding and re-communication to within the tower was now difficult or impossible all together,  it was impossible to stop at that point IMO.

2 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Unfortunately due to the nature of this fire and the communication  problems on the night in question,  30 more fire engines and 50 more firemen could have turned up and the death toll would be the same.  They (residents) were told to stay put, once this was found to be the wrong thing to do it was far too late to reverse this decision becasue of the cladding and re-communication to within the tower was now difficult or impossible all together,  it was impossible to stop at that point IMO.

Well the advice to tell everyone to stay in their flats was based on the fire being inside the blocks not the whole outside going up like an olympic torch. The advice wasn't the correct advice for the situation

Exclusive: Tory Ministers Accused Of Spending Public Cash On Facebook Ads In Election Swing Seats

Tory ministers have come under fire for spending government cash on Facebook ads targeted at voters in election swing seats.

HuffPost UK has learned that ministers authorised more than 20 adverts, paid for with taxpayers’ cash, to go live on Tuesday, the same day Boris Johnson got MPs to back a snap general election. 

Published on a page for a government campaign called ‘My Town’, the ads trumpet £25m of investment for each individual area.

The adverts, designed by the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG), refer to the £3.6bn Towns Fund announced by the prime minister in September.

But they also say: “We want local people to determine how this money is spent.”

Labour MP Ian Lucas called the promotion an “outrageous” misuse of public cash.

He has written to Cabinet Office minister Michael Gove demanding to know how data was gathered for the campaign and accusing ministers of misusing taxpayers’ cash. 

The messages all appear to be specifically targeted at people living in mostly-Brexit-voting towns where the sitting MP has a majority below 5,000 votes, such as Milton Keynes, Morley, Northampton and Workington. 

“These adverts are being deployed to Tory target seats on the cusp of a general election,” Lucas said. 

“It would be an insult to our intelligence to say that this isn’t public money being used for political purposes. It clearly is.

“And it is an example of how the government is merging political activity with the arms of government in its own political interest.” 

Huff

Â