The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

4 hours ago, bobzy said:

I mean, the Conservatives are quite literally in it for themselves.  There is no benefit to the wider population in anything they do; it's always for the few.  Always...

...and, seriously, them running the country in this fashion is leading to the cuts.  It's leading to the mass-queues and lack of beds at hospitals.  It's leading to poorer state schools.  It's leading to poorer policing.  This is, quite literally (again!) what our current government is doing.  They're an absolute joke... but, if you're wealthy it's pretty good.  We'll reduce that higher tax rate.  We'll cut corporation tax.  All good.

But, no, it's that bad man Sadiq Khan not doing better with his resources.

Seriously, wake the **** up.

No point having politic discussions here you can't debate without shitty digs like wake the **** up. 

I'm out 

1 hour ago, peterms said:

What we should be asking is why 50 years ago the average household had an average standard of living with one wage earner, and now, despite greater wealth, massive technical advances, and a proliferation of cheap labour-saving devices in the home, the average household needs two wage earners to hold that position relative to society as a whole.

Why exactly is that, when all the advances we have made should have meant less hours expended?

The pie is bigger, but the sharing of that pie is a lot less equitable. The rich are simply getting richer at the expense of everyone else.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, peterms said:

What we should be asking is why 50 years ago the average household had an average standard of living with one wage earner, and now, despite greater wealth, massive technical advances, and a proliferation of cheap labour-saving devices in the home, the average household needs two wage earners to hold that position relative to society as a whole.

Why exactly is that, when all the advances we have made should have meant less hours expended?

Lots of things have changed though, The population was much, much smaller. Industry & employment was quite different from today. Lots of comparatiively well paid skilled engineering/manufacturing etc jobs around compared to todays abundance of minimum wage office & retail work. Also a lack of things to actually do/buy probably helped somewhat, Nobody was buying a phone for a grand and then paying another 600 per year to use it, Sure TV's & electrical appliances were expensive but they would generally last you 20 years & you then didn't also have the option of spending another 100-200 per month on an assortment of channels/subscriptions and if you wanted to go out for an evening of entertainment you weren't paying £200 to go and watch someone sing/mime for an hour and a half and a trip to the cinema didn't cost you the equivalent of 2 hours pay and if you wanted to go and watch a football match it didn't cost you £100 and a beer didn't cost you a fiver. Deregulation of the mortgage market saw house prices sky rocket as more and more people could get mortgages, people were also starting to buy cars in much larger numbers thanks in part to oil prices being low, now it is common for many families to have 2/3 cars despite the rediculous costs of everything vehicle related. I'm sure when my grandad retired 30+ years ago he was on more money then than i am now but they didn't really have much to spend it on as they had paid the house of years before as it cost about 5 grand new

Edited by LakotaDakota

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

Lots of things have changed though, The population was much, much smaller. Industry & employment was quite different from today. Lots of comparatiively well paid skilled engineering/manufacturing etc jobs around compared to todays abundance of minimum wage office & retail work. Also a lack of things to actually do/buy probably helped somewhat, Nobody was buying a phone for a grand and then paying another 600 per year to use it, Sure TV's & electrical appliances were expensive but they would generally last you 20 years & you then didn't also have the option of spending another 100-200 per month on an assortment of channels/subscriptions and if you wanted to go out for an evening of entertainment you weren't paying £200 to go and watch someone sing/mime for an hour and a half and a trip to the cinema didn't cost you the equivalent of 2 hours pay and if you wanted to go and watch a football match it didn't cost you £100 and a beer didn't cost you a fiver. Deregulation of the mortgage market saw house prices sky rocket as more and more people could get mortgages, people were also starting to buy cars in much larger numbers thanks in part to oil prices being low, now it is common for many families to have 2/3 cars despite the rediculous costs of everything vehicle related. I'm sure when my grandad retired 30+ years ago he was on more money then than i am now but they didn't really have much to spend it on as they had paid the house of years before as it cost about 5 grand new

Edward Benays (Sigmund Freud's nephew) created the majority of the modern lifestyle that you describe in your post.

Manipulation of the masses to want things that they didn't need which satisfies their inner selfish desires thus making them docile and easy to control for the political class. It then becomes easier for corporations to sell them more stuff they don't need, they become more docile etc. etc. and I guess the cycle ends with a completely uninhabitable planet.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Imagine working for this prick.

"The elites have lost touch with the public. Also, make sure that all non-titled males are referred to as "esquire"

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

"The elites have lost touch with the public. Also, make sure that all non-titled males are referred to as "esquire"

The most disappointing thing is the use of male as a noun - in preference to men.

Edited by snowychap

The fact that he feels it's important to know if you are male or female.

The fact he thinks imperial is a better system than metric.

Anyone that prefers imperial is just an absolute gammon, it's a deliberate affectation by another one luxuriating in his own pompous image. This guys is touching himself waaay too much.

But people love it, they are characters, they are funny. We should give them a chance, apparently.

That's all they've had all their lives, all the chances. Look how they've turned out. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, peterms said:

IMO,  it is designed so the majority have too effectively run at 100% just to keep nose and mouth out of the water so too speak.  As long as 2 married people for example both work 38 hours and pay as much tax as they can get away with,  happy days.  I suspect most people are an illness,  car breakdown or redundancy away from total financial disaster.  It is made this way on purpose.  For example, A single person working 30 hours a week and doing some study should easily be able to afford a 1 bedroom flat as a starting point IMO in any town or city or something is wrong.

"less hours expended",  this is easy IMO.  Don't forget the self invented industries.  Crime for example,  probably creates 500 k to 1M jobs.  The UK crime rate per 1000 people is DOUBLE the Netherlands (49 vs 98),  (btw there are at least 1 coffee shop per town,  so that's a bit odd also re: 49 / 98 considering in the UK weed is the devil).  This is no accident of misfortune or mis-calculation,  if you make the majority live hand to mouth then crime is actually the only way I suspect.  

They don't really have the class system here but that''s for another day.  It was solved in a genius manner.

Edited by Amsterdam_Neil_D

37 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

The fact he thinks imperial is a better system than metric

remember the speed limit is 48.28 km/h when you drive through the residential areas on your way home :) 

Edited by tonyh29

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

remember the speed limit is 48.28 km/h when you drive through the residential areas on your way home :) 

That is what I've seen on all of the signs across countries that use metric, yes :rolleyes:

10 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

The mid 20th century was not some sort of golden age where everyone was rich. 

These days 20 somethings spend a weekend getting drunk in a foreign country with matching t-shirts, filming it all on HD cameras that fit in their pockets. 

Their fathers were working 6 days a week doing menial repetitive labour on a production line. He was eating boring food where a roast chicken on Sunday was considered a luxury treat. No takeaways, morning coffees or European food/wines. The wife had it even worse and was typically confined to child rearing and kitchen duties 7 days a week. The lack of washing machine, dishwasher, disposal nappies, microwave etc saw to that.

A TV cost thousands and not every family could afford one, a holiday abroad was unthinkable. 

It’s very very easy to lose perspective. 

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

remember the speed limit is 48.28 km/h when you drive through the residential areas on your way home 

not to forget, at £1.26 a litre, slow down to improve your miles per gallon

as a country, we can be quite ignorant against our own convenience, it's quite an odd trait

Â