The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

6 hours ago, darrenm said:

I'm interested to know more about Corbyn's 'stance towards terrorists'(?) Do you have any more information? As far as I thought I knew, he negotiated with the political part of the IRA at about the same time as Thatcher did and helped to bring peace to Northern Ireland. There's also something about him trying to do the same with Hammas in the middle east.

Do you have anything objective which shows him doing anything illegal or immoral?

Illegal no, immoral? I'd say yes.

Corbyn and the IRA

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn attended several events supporting the IRA in the 1980s and 1990s, and was on the editorial board of a left-wing magazine that sympathised with the Brighton Bombing of 1984, according to a brutal report in The Telegraph.

The bombing of the Grand Hotel in Brighton killed five people and injured dozens. The IRA used a time-bomb, placed in the hotel a month before the Conservative Party conference that year, to destroy the front of the hotel. It was intended to assassinate former prime minister Margaret Thatcher, but she and her entire leadership team were staying in a different area of the hotel and they survived.

Corbyn repeatedly attended memorial services to dead IRA terrorists, according to The Telegraph:

Between 1986 and 1992, Mr Corbyn attended and spoke each year at the annual "Connolly/Sands" commemoration in London to honour dead IRA terrorists and support imprisoned IRA "prisoners of war."

... The programme for the 1987 event, on May 16 of that year, praises the "soldiers of the IRA," saying: "We are proud of our people and the revolutionaries who are an integral part of that people."

The programme for the 1988 event, on May 8 of that year, states that "in this, the conclusive phase in the war to rid Ireland of the scourge of British imperialism… force of arms is the only method capable of bringing this about."

Corbyn has previously said that he attended events with various militant or armed groups because he was attempting to maintain links with them that were necessary to eventually bring them into peace negotiations. Corbyn did not comment when reached by The Telegraph, probably because he does not trust the paper, which has a long record of biased reporting against him. 

Nonetheless, the Telegraph's story on Corbyn today really does look very bad. The smoking gun is this page of Labour Briefing from 1984. Corbyn was general secretary of the editorial board at the time. Initially, the magazine apparently made a statement that condemned the bombing but changed its stance when many supporters indicated they were sympathetic to the attempt to kill Thatcher. In the next issue, "The National Editorial Board meeting dissociated itself from the statement," the magazine said, saying that the magazine had "made a serious political misjudgment."

The following article did not explicitly condone the bombing, or specifically say it supported the IRA - a fact that The Telegraph glosses over. But it clearly sympathises with "the Irish republican movement though we may not always agree with all their tactics or policies." 

"The British only sit up and take notice when they are bombed into it," the magazine says, calling for an immediate withdrawal of troops from Northern Ireland. Briefing's logic was that as the Thatcher government was using troops and violence to suppress dissent in Northern Ireland, then violence in response was to be expected.

But the magazine also treated the Brighton bombing in almost a light-hearted way, calling it a "big bang" and printing two jokes about the act. One was: "What do you call four dead Tories? A start." The second was about Norman Tebbit, the former trade secretary who once criticised unemployed people for not being more like his father, who "got on his bike and looked for work." Tebbit was pulled from the rubble in his pajamas, and his wife was permanently disabled in the bombing: "Try riding your bike now, Norman," the magazine said.

Edited by Awol
Formatting

6 hours ago, darrenm said:

I'm interested to know more about Corbyn's 'stance towards terrorists'(?) Do you have any more information? As far as I thought I knew, he negotiated with the political part of the IRA at about the same time as Thatcher did and helped to bring peace to Northern Ireland. There's also something about him trying to do the same with Hammas in the middle east.

Do you have anything objective which shows him doing anything illegal or immoral?

That's without even addressing his links to Hamas and Hezbollah, which are doubtless so he can bring about peace with Israel...

Maybe you see nothing wrong with any of Corbyn's previous associations as a Labour MP and believe such a man is fit to be Prime Minister of the UK.

Many people disagree and think his associations with and sympathies for murderers are toxic, ill judged, disgusting and morally unjustifiable. That's one of the reasons why he's going to get smashed on June the 8th, the cretinous fool. 

May was shocking on Marr. She's been given a script and is sticking to it like glue. 

There's message discipline and there's coming across like Metal Mickey, she managed the latter superbly.

Not impressive and against an only mildly ridiculous opponent she'd be in trouble. As it is I don't think it will matter. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Awol said:

May was shocking on Marr. She's been given a script and is sticking to it like glue. 

There's message discipline and there's coming across like Metal Mickey, she managed the latter superbly.

Not impressive and against an only mildly ridiculous opponent she'd be in trouble. As it is I don't think it will matter. 

Agreed. She's got all the charm and empathy of a malevolent speak your weight machine. At some point even these charmless words removed have got to realise the human harm what they're doing causes and feel a tang of humanity, surely?....No, absolutely not - they're Tories.

Shame Labour is such a shambles.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

She did look a tad jittery. Ok if not May then who else would be better to take the country forward in these uncertain times.

Jeremy Corbyn. Unless you disagree with what he stands for of course.

Almost all universities in England will be able to introduce annual increases to tuition fees until 2020, in a deal pushing legislation through Parliament before the general election.

The higher education legislation had been intended to make higher fees dependent on improved teaching.

But this will now not be implemented until 2020-21 - and until then universities can make inflation-linked increases without any link to quality.

BBC

The sound of ladders being pulled up.

11 hours ago, Awol said:

Many people disagree and think his associations with and sympathies for murderers are toxic, ill judged, disgusting and morally unjustifiable.

It's a good job not everyone thinks like that. Conflicts would just drag on and on.

I'm all for the chatters now, the bombing mentality just makes things worse.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

If I was in charge, I'd campaign on tuition fees remaining the same, except for STEM subjects, and not just at postgrad and above, which would be heavily incentivised.

Stefan for PM.

16 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Jeremy Corbyn. Unless you disagree with what he stands for of course.

I'm not sure I'd feel very comfortable with him as our PM and I definitely think he could change the country over time but for the better or worse I don't know. I actually agree with some of his views. 

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I'm not sure I'd feel very comfortable with him as our PM and I definitely think he could change the country over time but for the better or worse I don't know. I actually agree with some of his views. 

Surely it should all be about policies? How you feel about someone as a person is completely ambiguous from a distance. I can't stand some footballers but I bet some are alright if I got to know them.

It would be better if everyone had to blind vote by doing something similar to I side with. The vast majority of people are far more left wing than they think and Tory policies are far more right wing than they expect.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Surely it should all be about policies? How you feel about someone as a person is completely ambiguous from a distance. I can't stand some footballers but I bet some are alright if I got to know them.

It would be better if everyone had to blind vote by doing something similar to I side with. The vast majority of people are far more left wing than they think and Tory policies are far more right wing than they expect.

I don't particularly dislike Corbyn, although he can be a clearing in the woods at times, but can't we all. It's his sidekicks that are the biggest clearings in the woods. I know the Tory,s are a million miles from being perfect but I think the country is more secure with them in power. For starters there always seems to be plenty of work when they are in power. I probably am more left wing than I think. Infact I did that test on here whatever thread it was in and it turned out I was more left wing than I thought. Labour are a mess, the conservatives on the other hand are not. I'd sleep better knowing they are in power over labour at this present moment. Saying that I sleep well regardless. 

Â