Pre match thread

roonst83

For the first time in my life I dont want to watch Villa play. I was almost hoping we werent playing today so I could watch the football and enjoy it without the invitable disappointing and anger from watching us have another shit game. That's the biggest problem with Villa for the last few years, even when we win its almost always scrappy and tense.

This isnt an attention seeking wah wah wah post but when I woke up this morning I was like "Villa today, great..."

On Gil + Grealish, I personally would love to see us try and play without an obvious target up top. I think we have the players to do it for the first time now. We could have a front 4 of Grealish, Gil, Traore and Ayew/Sinclair. They all could be part of a 3 behind one of them slightly more advanced and they could all play anywhere in the 4. Could be very exciting. Won't ever happen though but still....

Slightly worried about Lescott, hope he proves me wrong, bit worried about Gestede and service to him if we try to go from back to front too fast. I think we will do well to get a point but who knows, everyone plays well and we can win if they aren't on it.

Roma, I agree, it would be interesting I think to see us play without a number nine and have a bundle of attacking players in advanced midfield areas - I think we've got lots of players that can do that - it would mean having to keep the ball a lot better than we have, but I think it would be an interesting experiment. I wouldn't have done it today though!

• Like 1

I can't see us winning this one, but I'd love to be proved wrong. I'm not sure what Lescott or Westwood have done to keep being selected in the starting XI, and Ayew finally started to look good gainst the noses so I would have liked to have seen that rewarded with a start today. It still feels like we aren't starting our strongest team at the moment, but I'm sure that will correct itself over the season and we have been unlucky with a few injuries.