Pre match thread

roonst83

I'd love to be wrong but the most optimistic I am is that we might not get trashed. Not even necessarily being Liverpool, just the fact we show so little quality.

The last 45 minutes yesterday were better, but that's not to say it was good. There was still a lack of composure, still a lack of quality in decision making and we hardly looked light years ahead of a Championship team. Whilst it may have been sensible, the holding it in the corner for the last ten minutes seemed to indicate we don't have the confidence to kill of a team through goals. Understandable against Man City, disappointing against Blues. And play like we did for the first 45 mins and we'll already be four down against a Premier League team.

Then of course throw in the fact we always help out struggling teams and players then this is nailed on a comfortable victory for Liverpool.

Watching that extra-time period, we'll have to really screw up not to pick up any points on Saturday. Amazingly they are somehow even worse than they were this time last season. No purpose, no plan, no clue.

But we usually provide the ideal opportunity for out of sorts teams to play their way back into some form, so...

We must try and harness any momentum the second-half against Small Heath may have provided and as such, I'd go for:

Guzan | Bacuna Richards Clark Amavi | Veretout Sanchez | Ayew Grealish Gil | Gestede

• Like 2

Not many things cheers me up more then winning against liverpool, 80% of my friends support that lot and they are so deluded it's not even funny anymore.

For some reason they hate playing against us at anfield, and i think we will beat them this time aswell, 2-1 with Grealish and Aywe scoring the goals.

Not going to be easy by any stretch, but a good time to play them.  Their fans are very pissed off and will turn quickly I reckon.  Just had a quick look on the Liverpool forum - this post pretty much sums up the mood..... 

"It's pretty clear to see that the players don't trust the guy and I don't think it is possible to slump any lower. If JH has any sense or humility about him he will cut ties with Brendan as soon as possible.....We have lost the whole spine of our team, mignolet doesn't command a box, he can't decide who to pair at the back, Henderson is injured, sturridge is injury prone and looks like benteke is going same way. Overall Rodgers is completely useless and enjoys wasting money."

Whilst it is fair to have some optimism since Liverscum couldn't finish off a League Two side in 90 mins at home, they did have 47 shots with 16 on target. Our defence can be error prone so if the Scum start hammering us I think we'll buckle under pressure. Need to be be on the front foot from the get go, close down their players and run at them with the pace in our side. Need to go at this one 100mph in my opinion, no sitting back and trying to catch them on the break despite being away from home.

• Like 1

I think possession is important - bit like first half Leicester - as it won't take much for their crowd to become frustrated. 

This will not be an easy game - they still have a lot of good players - but I also wouldn't be surprised if we do them.  A draw would be OK.

A bit of a nothing to lose game for us because anything other than a defeat for us would be a bonus and an everything to lose game for Rodgers. 

I really hope Benteke will be squirming in his seat towards the end of the game and wondering why he ever left us for them as he counts his money.  

Watching that extra-time period, we'll have to really screw up not to pick up any points on Saturday. Amazingly they are somehow even worse than they were this time last season. No purpose, no plan, no clue.

But we usually provide the ideal opportunity for out of sorts teams to play their way back into some form, so...

We must try and harness any momentum the second-half against Small Heath may have provided and as such, I'd go for:

Guzan | Bacuna Richards Clark Amavi | Veretout Sanchez | Ayew Grealish Gil | Gestede

Agree with that, on the face of it we shouldnt expect anything, they are a better team, better squad, bigger budget bla bla but they look absolutely terrible at the moment. They cant score and dont keep clean sheets either. And crucially I think most of their players have given up on Rodgers and are just waiting till their owners pull the trigger. (Probably when they lose the derby in a few weeks).

Obviously we have our faults too and plenty of them but if we play with desire here we really, really should not be losing this.