Birmingham New Street

Wainy316

So which of VT's well-paid employees of the industrial-military complex is going to volunteer to try out Square Pie and do a review?

The people of the North need to know whether the cockneys can be trusted make a proper pie.

As has been reported, Pie is a staple foodstuff in the North, as the pastry casing leaves the Northerner’s other hand free to hold a glass or form a fist. It is therefore so important that creation of Pie is not to be entrusted to shandy-drinking southern jessies.

I expect the square pie outlet will be selling pies that are not circular, that are expensive and which contain ingredients which are clearly identifiable and recognisable. This is not to be encouraged.

I want one of their pies

Edited by blandy
  • Like 3

A council led campaign has ensured 450 jobs created by the opening of Grand Central have gone to unemployed people from areas of high unemployment in the city.

That doesn't include the 400 unemployed people (including apprentices) that were given jobs for the construction of the centre.

What a bunch of bastards. Ignoring the poor like that by building a shopping centre :rolleyes:

Edited by Stevo985

Birmingham attracts a lot of visitors.  I guess it's hard to define whether the people coming to Brum are here for business or tourism but according to data put out by visitbritain then Brum is the 4th most visited city in the UK by number of overseas visitors spending at least one night in the city, London, the most visited city in the world as far as I'm aware,  is so far ahead of everywhere else it's ridiculous (16m+ visitors, Edinburgh is a distant second with 1.5m) but Birmingham and Manchester are pretty much on a level at just below a million visitors and then it's a big drop to Liverpool in fifth place (just over half a million which puts it in a bracket with 6th placed Oxford). 

Domestic visitors are much more difficult to measure.  I'd imagine Birmingham has a significantly higher commuter base than Liverpool and it has the third highest student population after London and Manchester so perhaps the city doesn't need to try as hard as Liverpool to fill it's streets in other ways?  The seasonal German market aside Birmingham doesn't have a single major tourist attraction,  there is plenty of conferencing on at the NEC and in the city and it's shopping and dining is as good as anywhere but people don't tend to travel more than 30 miles to go on a shopping blowout so every major city will just cater to the surrounding towns. I wonder if there is an untapped market? 

Blown away by Grand Central to be honest. The food quarter is brilliant, love the design of the roof, like the fact it's higher end shops. Superb. 

Let's be blunt the Pallasades was disgusting and could be dodgy walking through there at night. 

As much as I have always hated on Birmingham it's looking great these days. Just wish they knocked down and rebuilt that bit of street where Primark and the Villa shop is. Full of crappy cheap clothes shops, dirty old buildings and a buffet for a fiver!!! God knows what the food must be like.

Thoughts on Resort World??? Now that is a massive disappointment.

Birmingham attracts a lot of visitors.  I guess it's hard to define whether the people coming to Brum are here for business or tourism but according to data put out by visitbritain then Brum is the 4th most visited city in the UK by number of overseas visitors spending at least one night in the city, London, the most visited city in the world as far as I'm aware,  is so far ahead of everywhere else it's ridiculous (16m+ visitors, Edinburgh is a distant second with 1.5m) but Birmingham and Manchester are pretty much on a level at just below a million visitors and then it's a big drop to Liverpool in fifth place (just over half a million which puts it in a bracket with 6th placed Oxford). 

Domestic visitors are much more difficult to measure.  I'd imagine Birmingham has a significantly higher commuter base than Liverpool and it has the third highest student population after London and Manchester so perhaps the city doesn't need to try as hard as Liverpool to fill it's streets in other ways?  The seasonal German market aside Birmingham doesn't have a single major tourist attraction,  there is plenty of conferencing on at the NEC and in the city and it's shopping and dining is as good as anywhere but people don't tend to travel more than 30 miles to go on a shopping blowout so every major city will just cater to the surrounding towns. I wonder if there is an untapped market? 

New Street is the busiest train station outside of London.

Are you sure Brum has more students than Leeds?  I think I read otherwise but not sure.

New Street is the busiest train station outside of London.

Are you sure Brum has more students than Leeds?  I think I read otherwise but not sure.

It's surprisingly difficult to find meaningful stats for this. I know that at one time Leeds had the highest PER CAPITA student population outside Oxford & Cambridge. Whether this is still true I don't know.

• 2 months later...

I've been critical of Brum city centre in the past, having worked there for 19 years, but in the last few years it has made great strides forward.

It is a great place to eat and drink now. And shop, if that's your thing.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Was working in the city centre yesterday (Colmore Gate) and it was strange to see trams buzzing around the city. Looked fantastic though!

Brum has really made some fantastic strides in recent years

• Like 1

Â