Birmingham New Street

Wainy316

Yeah but, but, Yo Sushi!

It is just another example of a public space being annexed by expensive retail outlets which excludes everyone except well-off middle-class consumers.

Birmingham has some of the poorest people in Europe and they are excluded by nothing less than economic apartheid. 

How decadent are we, that we do not notice?

• Like 1

Yeah but, but, Yo Sushi!

It is just another example of a public space being annexed by expensive retail outlets which excludes everyone except well-off middle-class consumers.

Birmingham has some of the poorest people in Europe and they are excluded by nothing less than economic apartheid. 

Its just a shopping centre above a train station. Its always been a shopping centre, albeit, not as grand as it is now. 

I have been through it a couple of times and I like it. A huge improvement on what was there before. 

• Like 3

Yeah but, but, Yo Sushi!

Its just a shopping centre above a train station. Its always been a shopping centre, albeit, not as grand as it is now. 

I have been through it a couple of times and I like it. A huge improvement on what was there before. 

As Mooney will tell you, back in the 1960s the Rackhams department store in Birmingham would have a commissionaire on every door who would turn away undesirables.

Even when the practice stopped a lot of working-class people would not go in because they thought they were not welcome and it was only for posh people (from Four Oaks:)).

I am just saying that they are achieving the same by excluding people who cannot afford the prices.

Gentrification our kid, gentrification.

Yeah but, but, Yo Sushi!

As Mooney will tell you, back in the 1960s the Rackhams department store in Birmingham would have a commissionaire on every door who would turn away undesirables.

Even when the practice stopped a lot of working-class people would not go in because they thought they were not welcome and it was only for posh people (from Four Oaks:)).

I am just saying that they are achieving the same by excluding people who cannot afford the prices.

It's hardly **** Harrods.

Shops and restaurants at Grand central include Nandos, Monsoon, Carphone Warehouse and Jones the Bootmaker.

I'm actually not sure what your point is? People are excluded form Grand Central because they can't afford it? I'd suggest if you can't afford a Nandos or a shit bracelet then there's not many shops you can go in, unless they filled New Street Station with 99p stores and Netto.

• Like 1

Cardiff Central > that thing.

No fancy ass stores, no mucking about - just platforms and trains.

Plus a platform 0, so screw all you guys

I take if you've not seen the plans for the 'new' Cardiff Central then Chris?  They are putting a giant greenhouse on top of the old frontage and the BBC are moving in next door.  Nobody can confirm or deny whether there will be a Yo! Sushi in the new station.  

Edited by The_Rev

A couple of weeks back I was catching a train up to Wigan with the Mother and took great delight in pointing out the little gap on Platform 7a and explaining that would get some light down to the platforms at long last as she was still wondering what it was pretty dark down there.

Turns out from reading a Post article by Joe Holyoak that is only a quirk and none of the platforms will have little panels to allow some light to filter down from the concourse.

Think that would be my one disappointment from the near enough finish product as think the concourse is excellent, particularly at night.

At the risk of going round in circles, I don't think you'll ever get too much light on the platforms at New Street as it's an underground (or at least "sub surface") station. It's one of the downsides of being slap bang in the centre of town. The plan is to keep people upstairs for as long as possible and send them down to the platforms five minutes before the train is due.  I've probably been through New Street a dozen times since it reopened last month and I'm more than happy to wait for my train like that.  Maybe I'm an edge case because after almost twenty years of working on the railway I am very comfortable with negotiating stations, those who aren't as familiar with them may want to get to a platform as early as possible but at New Street you are always going to have to contend with the reality that the platforms are below street level and it's going to be dark.  

The obvious solution to this problem is to only catch trains to places served by Birmingham Moor Street. :D 

• Like 2

Yeah but, but, Yo Sushi!

Bring back the commissionaire - they can keep anyone wearing small heath shirts out as well as anyone wearing tracksuits and jogging bottoms!

Seriously though, there has always been people who can't afford to shop in these types of centres. However regrettable that is, we shouldn't not improve our city because of that otherwise we'll get left behind.

You may call it gentrification, I call it progress :)

• Like 1

Yeah but, but, Yo Sushi!

Bring back the commissionaire - they can keep anyone wearing small heath shirts out as well as anyone wearing tracksuits and jogging bottoms!

Seriously though, there has always been people who can't afford to shop in these types of centres. However regrettable that is, we shouldn't not improve our city because of that otherwise we'll get left behind.

The trend has been right across the UK to tart up the centre of cities with fancy shops and restaurants and it always looks like an attempt to disguise the reality and offer the well-off plausible deniability about the existence of places like Alum Rock or Sparkbrook, both of which are more truthful representations of the state of the city and the failures of the system, than places like the Mailbox or Grand Central, which locals seem to take such pride in.

Manchester, Liverpool and Newcastle have all done the same and existence of the poor is treated like a dirty secret.

But I suppose when you are spending a thousand quid on a pair of pumps at Harvey Nichols, having to look at the poor rather ruins the mood.:)

Yeah but, but, Yo Sushi!

Actually back then, it was in the same chain, so it might as well have been **** Harrods as it was the second largest store in the group in the second largest city in the country. Rackhams is now the largest HoF store in the UK. And tbh its not half the place it used to be before they let small heath fans roam free. Also back then the much lamented Lewis's also had commissionaires on the doors but they did seem to let the small heathens in from time to time

• Like 1

Yeah but, but, Yo Sushi!

Actually back then, it was in the same chain, so it might as well have been **** Harrods as it was the second largest store in the group in the second largest city in the country. Rackhams is now the largest HoF store in the UK. And tbh its not half the place it used to be before they let small heath fans roam free. Also back then the much lamented Lewis's also had commissionaires on the doors but they did seem to let the small heathens in from time to time

I was talking about the shops at Grand Central not being Harrods.

I have no idea what Rackhams was like in the 1960's and as I said above I'm not sure how that relates to the shops that are at Grand Central.

The more I read MMV's posts here the more ridiculous they become.

"don't put nice shops somewhere because some parts of the city aren't very nice"

Huh?

• Like 1

Yeah but, but, Yo Sushi!

The trend has been right across the UK to tart up the centre of cities with fancy shops and restaurants and it always looks like an attempt to disguise the reality and offer the well-off plausible deniability about the existence of places like Alum Rock or Sparkbrook, both of which are more truthful representations of the state of the city and the failures of the system, than places like the Mailbox or Grand Central, which locals seem to take such pride in.

Manchester, Liverpool and Newcastle have all done the same and existence of the poor is treated like a dirty secret.

But I suppose when you are spending a thousand quid on a pair of pumps at Harvey Nichols, having to look at the poor rather ruins the mood.:)

Yes, especially true in Liverpool

Seems fairly obvious what MmV is on about. He's saying back in the day Rackhams used to physically repel poor people as undesirables but today the same effect is gained by pricing them out.

And my point was the shops at grand central are just normal shops. Nandos and Monsoon etc.

That's hardly repelling poor people.

If they'd filled Grand Central with the shops you'd find at the mailbox then that might make more sense.

As it is he seems to be making a point that doesn't need to be made.

Like I said, what's the solution? Filling the station with pound shops?

• Like 1

Â