Aston Villa Home Support

Gary Thomas

Fans aren't the problem...... I'm not sure it's the fans to blame. If I'm honest I think it's remarkable we still get the numbers we do at home games....

I agree and don't think anyone is "blaming" fans tbh – the owner, mangers and players shoulder that responsibility.  Like you say, Villa has very loyal fans who turn up week after week, mostly to see us lose or draw!  It is hard to sing for 90 mins when the team doesn’t turn up or we’re getting beat or we get that sinking feeling that the inevitable is about to happen. But that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t still do it.  To me it is simple.  The more we collectively sing and raise the noise levels at VP the more chance we have of influencing the game and getting the best out of the players and breaking this shitty cycle we are in.  This is especially true at the moment with so many new and young influential players.  Anything we do to improve the consistency of noise at VP the better for me # Get Doug and Trinity Singing. # Get Villa Park Rocking. #Get Villa Winning.

Edited by Gary Thomas

The club themselves could do more in this regard. Our entrance music is poor, there is little attempt to get the crowd fired up prior to kick off.

They've managed to upset the Brigada 1874 in the lower holte, banned flags/banners and missed an opportunity to have a dedicated signing section. It's almost as if the club no longer trusts the fans to behave after the WBA pitch invasion which, ironically invasion aside was probably the best atmosphere seen at Villa Park last season and definitely contributed to an uplift in performance.

• Like 1

I think our home support is pretty crap most the time, and it takes very little for fans to start moaning. So much so I stopped getting a season ticket because I hated being stuck. I now buy game by game and only once this season had what I'd call a positive experience.

No problem if that's how people are going to be, in that Ibrespect their right, but it destroys the point of going for me.

And for people who think it don't matter, look at the England cricket sides record, and comments, atvEdgebadton for an example.

For me we desperately need flexible standing areas where those that want to be 100% positive and vocal can be together and hope fully provide a better background for the team. That's the only reason Palace sound so good and I'm staggered that other Clubs haven't copied it or complained about it ( persistent standing ?).

I think our home support is pretty crap most the time, and it takes very little for fans to start moaning. So much so I stopped getting a season ticket because I hated being stuck. I now buy game by game and only once this season had what I'd call a positive experience.

No problem if that's how people are going to be, in that Ibrespect their right, but it destroys the point of going for me.

And for people who think it don't matter, look at the England cricket sides record, and comments, atvEdgebadton for an example.

For me we desperately need flexible standing areas where those that want to be 100% positive and vocal can be together and hope fully provide a better background for the team. That's the only reason Palace sound so good and I'm staggered that other Clubs haven't copied it or complained about it ( persistent standing ?).

What a weird argument - blaming the lack of support for your decision not to get a season ticket and go on a game by game basis. I go to VP to support AVFC not because of our supporters. The only "positive experience" I crave is the right results - if the fans get behind the team that's a bonus but I would never blame them for my not having a "positive experience". 

What a wierd post.

I wwasn't making an 'argument' or apportioning blame.

I simply stated that the negative comments of fans ended up with me preferring to be able to move, as it spolis my enjoyment. 

I really don't care why you go to VP !

I go for fun, not to hear people moaning about every last thing.

If people don't want to be vocally positive that's up to them, but the end result is a crap atmosphere.

As for the argument that fans need stuff to cheer, that is clearly a truism these days, that's the point.

I've watched us since the 3rd Division and there hashas often  been very little to inspire fans, it never used to mean the atmosphere was crap.

We have among the best (if not the best) away support of all PL teams, still get beaten by most teams regardless of league.

Almost no team in the PL has good home support anymore. The fans play their small part but it's almost all down to the manager and players, and they have given us very little to be supportive of in the last 5 or so seasons.

Only teams who are overachieving/having their best times for the past X years have loud crowds. Even the big teams who are used to winning every week get shit support because their crowds are bored. Show any team's supporters something special and you'll get great atmosphere (almost) everywhere. Give them years of shit performances and results and it's incredibly naive to expect the crowd to be any different. 

Just because the rest of the league's fans have become poor, that is really no excuse. We can make a genuine difference. Away players will notice the difference - they'll dread defending the Holte End.

Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, United, City - all poor at home, yet all win. It's a cultural thing. It seems that because the Prem garners so much interest and so much money is pumped into wages, we all demand success. We all want success, but demanding it puts pressure on the players when in my view taking a more encouraging rather than demanding approach as fans would see us get more success. We are treated like customers by the clubs and therefore we act as such (pay your ticket, demand something in return), but we don't have to. The club need to play their part by reducing ticket prices, allowing singing areas etc., but so do we.

Edited by gilbertoAVFC
  • Like 1

I don't find it easy to just start singing and making noise.

I find it quite uncomfortable. I doubt im the only one either. 

I do too sometimes, especially when I sit in some parts of the Doug Ellis or Trinity with my son.  I turn up all enthusiastic and hear the Holte End in full cry at the start of the game.  I join in with great enthusiasm but it suddenly dawns on me that no one else near me is singing or joining me!  I can hear my own voice and I realise I sound a bit demented singing on my own.  I keep going for a while with a few sporadic efforts  (“Sod it I say to myself, I am supporting my team”)  but eventually the silence sucks the life out of me.  There are too many sections like this where it is almost abnormal to sing – like we don't bother, the Holte End or Lower North create the atmosphere. That was not always the way though, I remember the Trinity being very loud and vocal growing up; almost in competition with the Holte.  I bet today there are loads of  fans who sit in the Trinity and Doug Eliis who would love to sing and create a bit of a atmosphere but feel uneasy doing so because it is so quite and it is no longer the norm.

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 1

The club themselves could do more in this regard. Our entrance music is poor, there is little attempt to get the crowd fired up prior to kick off.

They've managed to upset the Brigada 1874 in the lower holte, banned flags/banners and missed an opportunity to have a dedicated signing section. It's almost as if the club no longer trusts the fans to behave after the WBA pitch invasion which, ironically invasion aside was probably the best atmosphere seen at Villa Park last season and definitely contributed to an uplift in performance.

I wondered about the whole 'singing section' thing.  I remember the club saying before the quarter final that they were trialling it for L7 and L8.  So did it get sacked off after the pitch invasion?  Also didn't know they'd banned the banners, that's really **** crap!  Brigada briefly had a drum too didn't they?  Worked wonders for Leicester's support the other week.

i've discussed the drum before in the various post match threads, it was pretty close to me and it was annoying as ****, the drum did nothing to create atmosphere, it just created noise in the corner of the lower holte as brigada continued to sing their own songs in their own little world, it was a mess and didnt work

• Like 2

The repertoire of songs needs improving for me.  It's the basis of everything and its bloody awful at the moment.  We need a few original chants that are either longer or repeat easily over and over - the kind of songs that can go on for 3-4 minutes with everyone getting behind them  - not 30 seconds and done . 

Longer chants = more singing = better atmosphere.     

man utd are a perfect example of this although their vocal support at home could be better their repertoire of songs is class and very original. 

We have among the best (if not the best) away support of all PL teams, still get beaten by most teams regardless of league.

Almost no team in the PL has good home support anymore. The fans play their small part but it's almost all down to the manager and players, and they have given us very little to be supportive of in the last 5 or so seasons.

best away support in terms of what? 

• Like 1

i've discussed the drum before in the various post match threads, it was pretty close to me and it was annoying as ****, the drum did nothing to create atmosphere, it just created noise in the corner of the lower holte as brigada continued to sing their own songs in their own little world, it was a mess and didnt work

anyone remember sheffield wednesday with their drum? so annoying and imo just does not fit in to create a better atmosphere.

Well since I live in Sweden and only follow the PL from my sofa I have to go from what hear and see from that.

The Villa away fans are imo compared to most other fans very vocal and loud, there also seem to be a fair number of them on away games which I admire considering the tripe we serve up most games. I tend to hear the Villa fans more on away games then on home games which is kinda sad.

I have nothing but admiration for the people who follow Villa on away games, and even if they feel like booing the team after a bad performance I can't fault them.

Edited by sne

L7 mate?

Well since I live in Sweden and only follow the PL from my sofa I have to go from what hear and see from that.

The Villa away fans are imo compared to most other fans very vocal and loud, there also seem to be a fair number of them on away games which I admire considering the tripe we serve up most games. I tend to hear the Villa fans more on away games then on home games which is kinda sad.

I have nothing but admiration for the people who follow Villa on away games, and even if they feel like booing the team after a bad performance I can't fault them.

yeah in terms of noise we are one of the best and we do take decent numbers BUT we should take more away than we actually do and we are not even in the top ten for numbers on a regular basis imo.

• Like 1

I don't go away as much - first PL away game on Saturday actually - but from what I see and hear on the box our away support always seems top notch.  Seem as good as anyone in the league tbh and always very loud.  Love away days but so bloody expensive now as I take my son. 

Personally, I think our home support is pretty phenomenal considering the absolute dirge being served up since 2010. 

I'm amazed we still get the gates we do.

As for the whole noise aspect/ lack of variety in songs argument:

Fratton Park was always one of the nosiest grounds in the country when Pompey were in the top flight. It didn't make a whole pile of difference to them in the longrun.

In contrast, Arsenal fans are by far THE WORST fans in the country (and possibly Western Europe) for atmosphere and song variety, yet it doesn't seem to have held the Gooners back much.

• Like 1

Â