Aston Villa Home Support

Gary Thomas

The Leicester and Palace crowds are both given something to shout about, let's not try to make then out as some super fans. If either had been served up what we have had to put up with for the last few years both stadiums would be as dull as VP.

The repertoire of songs needs improving for me.  It's the basis of everything and its bloody awful at the moment.  We need a few original chants that are either longer or repeat easily over and over - the kind of songs that can go on for 3-4 minutes with everyone getting behind them  - not 30 seconds and done . 

Longer chants = more singing = better atmosphere.     

The Leicester and Palace crowds are both given something to shout about, let's not try to make then out as some super fans. If either had been served up what we have had to put up with for the last few years both stadiums would be as dull as VP.

What if they helped create that? Leicester aren't great tho tbf, Palace were even when they were bottom under Holloway

The repertoire of songs needs improving for me.  It's the basis of everything and its bloody awful at the moment.  We need a few original chants that are either longer or repeat easily over and over - the kind of songs that can go on for 3-4 minutes with everyone getting behind them  - not 30 seconds and done . 

That's quite a big ask, sure it would help though

I think our home support is pretty crap most the time, and it takes very little for fans to start moaning. So much so I stopped getting a season ticket because I hated being stuck. I now buy game by game and only once this season had what I'd call a positive experience.

No problem if that's how people are going to be, in that Ibrespect their right, but it destroys the point of going for me.

And for people who think it don't matter, look at the England cricket sides record, and comments, atvEdgebadton for an example.

For me we desperately need flexible standing areas where those that want to be 100% positive and vocal can be together and hope fully provide a better background for the team. That's the only reason Palace sound so good and I'm staggered that other Clubs haven't copied it or complained about it ( persistent standing ?).

I think our home support is pretty crap most the time, and it takes very little for fans to start moaning. So much so I stopped getting a season ticket because I hated being stuck. I now buy game by game and only once this season had what I'd call a positive experience.

No problem if that's how people are going to be, in that Ibrespect their right, but it destroys the point of going for me.

And for people who think it don't matter, look at the England cricket sides record, and comments, atvEdgebadton for an example.

For me we desperately need flexible standing areas where those that want to be 100% positive and vocal can be together and hope fully provide a better background for the team. That's the only reason Palace sound so good and I'm staggered that other Clubs haven't copied it or complained about it ( persistent standing ?).

What a weird argument - blaming the lack of support for your decision not to get a season ticket and go on a game by game basis. I go to VP to support AVFC not because of our supporters. The only "positive experience" I crave is the right results - if the fans get behind the team that's a bonus but I would never blame them for my not having a "positive experience". 

Edited by MikeMcKenna

Back of the Holte > Start your own > take a lead

Am I the only one who really doesn't care about singing?! I find most chants a bit, well juvenile for want of a better word. Probably makes me seem a little pompus but I shout and scream and roar the team on during the game so I'm hardly sitting on the side politely tutting! I just don't want to get involved in any songs about the Blues, standing up if I love Villa (I'm at Villa every week that's enough!) or lying about how we're the greatest team in the world!

A loud, passionate Villa Park to me is that roar that accompanies kick off, or the shouts of support when we start peppering the opposition goal. In fact I'd argue singing only really occurs when people are bored!

But like a few people have mentioned previously, it's unrealistic to suggest fans can stay positive in the continuos face of such dire performances. I'd be surprised if our home record wasn't one of the worst of any team in England over the last five years.

• Like 1

Fans have always responded to what goes on on the pitch. If the players give you something to get behind the atmosphere can be electric. The comparison between the cup semi and final of last year was a classic example.

We as fans put a lot into supporting our team, not just financially but emotionally more than anything, our commitment is shown week in week out when we pass through the turnstiles, not by sitting there happy clapping our way through another dire performance.

I can't agree with this, I'm afraid. Just turning up and sitting there is not really showing much in the way of support at all - you have to engage yourself and be a part of the atmosphere. If you go to any other social event and just sit there occasionally tutting, you're not really contributing anything at all. That's what going to the football used to be about, anyway. May as well just watch it on telly. 

• Like 1

Fans aren't the problem. If we had picked up more points (71 points out of 73 games is ridiculous) the atmosphere would naturally be better. If you aren't happy with something it's negative energy/atmosphere and after five years of being served up essentially the same rubbish I'm not sure it's the fans to blame. If I'm honest I think it's remarkable we still get the numbers we do at home games, the club should be thanking its lucky stars.

We as fans put a lot into supporting our team, not just financially but emotionally more than anything, our commitment is shown week in week out when we pass through the turnstiles, not by sitting there happy clapping our way through another dire performance.

I can't agree with this, I'm afraid. Just turning up and sitting there is not really showing much in the way of support at all - you have to engage yourself and be a part of the atmosphere. If you go to any other social event and just sit there occasionally tutting, you're not really contributing anything at all. That's what going to the football used to be about, anyway. May as well just watch it on telly. 

Oh I agree, I love it at VP when the stadium is rocking and I'm more than happy to help to help create it, but you need something from the pitch. My point is that it's unrealistic to expect a great atmosphere when most of us are a bag of nerve's at every game due to the fact we have been consistently turd for years. 

Therein lies the problem av1 - it's a vicious circle. I think the fans should be more concerned with holding up their side of the bargain, despite the team under-performing because it just doesn't help anyone to sit there in relative silence. It's not that hard to make some noise and get behind them and I don't see any downside to doing so, regardless of what the team is doing.

• Like 2

Â