Which PL club do you love to hate most?

Marka Ragnos

Which current PL club do you love to hate most?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which PL club do you love to hate most?

"Love to Hate" I'd say Man United. I hate them but it's in a sort of pantomime villain sort of way. I actually kind of respect them.

Teams like Liverpool and Spurs I hate more. But I don't "love to hate" them. I just **** hate them.

• Like 1

I like to see who ISN'T hated among the Big Clubs as much as the opposite. So the implication is we sort of like Stoke and Everton? I wonder why that is. What has protected them from Villan enmity? Perhaps with Everton it's mostly that they're not Liverpool? But why Stoke?

Thinking about this question has made me realise how weird it is that several of my football prejudices became set in stone at the age of 9 or 10. Re. Stoke, I used to enjoy watching them when ITV had a live game from whatever-the-Championship-used-to-be-called on a Sunday lunchtime, and Stoke often seemed to be on it. They used to be rubbish then of course, but they were quite exciting, and they were always on, like I said. I remember they used to have a player called Martin Carruthers, who had previously played half a dozen games for Villa, and while he was obviously pretty crap in the grand scheme of things, he was a bit of a 'fancy Dan' who was always dribbling past his man and I enjoyed watching him. 

Re. Everton, remember who I hate, and this is the reason:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISFN1k-h7Mo

Re. Liverpool, I think the hate largely boils down to this weird assumption prevalent in the media that they're everyone's second team. It also comes from the very high saturation of ex-Liverpool players who get punditry gigs, far more than for any other club. Amongst readers in their late 30s and 40s as well there's probably some hatred from their dominance in the 1980s. 

• Like 1

Liverpool, Chelsea, Citeh, Arsenal, Newcastle.  I purposely avoided West Brom because I think it's actually more insulting to not hate them, because it means they're irrelevant.

• Like 2

I went with Everton  , just this perpetual myth that they did everything on a shoestring  under Moyes and also for Moyes brand of dirty football

Yeah I know he's gone ..but now we still sorta get the same myth about Martinez and how great he is  , when he's clearly underachieved at that club

Stoke under Pullis would have got my vote but Hughes has at least tried to get them to play a bit of football

• Like 1

Re. Liverpool, I think the hate largely boils down to this weird assumption prevalent in the media that they're everyone's second team. It also comes from the very high saturation of ex-Liverpool players who get punditry gigs, far more than for any other club. Amongst readers in their late 30s and 40s as well there's probably some hatred from their dominance in the 1980s. 

For me it is pretty much entirely down to their fanbase, and I include ex-players in that group.  The sheer levels of delusion, the infuriating sense of entitlement, the grief junkeys, this 'everyone's against us' attitude despite wall to wall media adulation, the almost complete lack of ability to criticise and discuss their club in a realistic manner.  They are completely insufferable.  I've nothing against the entity that is Liverpool Football Club in and of itself.  Indeed, by my own barometer i.e. organic growth, history, winning things 'the right way', a grande olde clube, they should be a club that I respect and who; given the choice; I would prefer to see triumph over those who have ruined the game (Chelsea, Citeh), and yet I don't.  Two years ago when it was a Liverpool, Citeh 2 horse race I wanted Citeh to win, because I could not deal with the Liverpool fans afterwards.

• Like 2

I don't really get how anyone can hate Newcastle. I enjoy laughing at them, of course, but hate seems to imply taking them seriously. 

Love to hate is different to hate though.  You're right.  With Newcastle it's more that I enjoy laughing at them.  I don't take them seriously at all.  In fact they're such a joke that I struggle to regard them as a proper club.  If the question was which club do you have the least respect for then I think Newcastle would get my vote by quite some distance.

Edited by BOF
  • Like 3

I don't really get how anyone can hate Newcastle. I enjoy laughing at them, of course, but hate seems to imply taking them seriously. 

Spend some time in the North East, then you'll understand it's very easy to hate them. Was actually tempted to punt for them, but they currently find them selves in 3rd place. As it is though, I'll go for a tied number one spot. Chelsea for their player, and Man U for their fans. Special mentions for Liverpool, Spurs, and West Ham.

• Like 1

Liverpool for all the reasons described. Infiltrated the media, won't SHUT UP when they're not relevant, fans won't shut up about anything, opinionated black armband wearing gimps with a chip on the shoulder that another bunch of annoy gimps from the city across the road became more famous.

And a bonus point for all the Liverpool fans with the strongest cockney accents who talk about "This is Liverpool Football club" etc etc. Shut up, you're from Ilford. If you love them so much, bugger off to Fazakerley.

• Like 1

Without even reading the thread or looking at the poll, I would have happily placed a large bet that Liverpool would be running away with it. 

They did tell us this was the year they was going to come top of the table.

I detest liverpool & their deluded fans with their sense of entitlement . Chelsea because they have vile players & their manager is a clearing in the woods & the baggies because as like the filth the highlight of their season will always be beating us even though we are crap at the moment. I hate leicester because I loathe the rat faced f**ktard that is jamie Vardy. I am sure Hodgson has early onset dementia  as I cannot think of another reason as to why he picks him.

• Like 2

I've voted for Plop, but having just watched that word removed Mourinho arrogantly defending Costa, Chelsea are bolting up on the rails.

Chelski... were on a solid path to bust and league 2 status until that Russian thief came in with his ill gotten gains and bailed them out. Almost everything wrong with the current social/economic order in one place. 

Utd/pool are next as they have some grade A fans!

Chelski... were on a solid path to bust and league 2 status until that Russian thief came in with his ill gotten gains and bailed them out. Almost everything wrong with the current social/economic order in one place. 

they had just qualified for Champions League before Abramovich came in :rolleyes:

Ya, but they were up to their eyeballs in debt that they were in no position to service, pretty much regardless of CL income or not. They were Leeds v2.0, only it appears corrupt people seem to prefer to live in London for some reason /sarc.

they had just qualified for Champions League before Abramovich came in :rolleyes:

That was the game that saved them really as I think it's been admitted by a few of the squad at the time that if they hadn't beaten Liverpool they'd have had to sell key players in their squad e.g. Lampard, Terry etc in the manner Leeds had done two years previously so who knows how their recent history would've panned out.

Â