• Poor
    • Very Poor
  2. 2. Refereeing Performance

• Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor

Also just got back, it really was abysmal. Amavi, Richards and Gil aside, the rest of the outfield weren't fit to wear the shirt today. 

I'm dreading going Tuesday now as there was no fight in our team, they won most of the first balls and every second ball. I thought the team selection was poor, persisting with Sanchez (he was dreadful on the ball) and Westwood (bullied, backwards and even Darren Fletcher ran past him). Sinclair either does nothing and scores or unfortunately like today, just the nothing part. 

Hutton tried to get forward but his final ball was awful. Lescott was also pretty poor in possession, aimlessly thumping it towards Gabby first half who has his usual uninspiring game. 

Because they dominated the ball in the midfield, we were always on the back foot, hardly had any spells of serious pressure and were constantly outfought. The passing was atrocious at times, giving me a very unfortunate Paul Lambert flash-back. The movement up top was terrible too, with only Gil trying to make something happen. I was really disappointed and frustrated by Grealish too. He was sloppy, had no urgency, never committed to making something happen and he seems to be exhausted after 70 minutes. 

Gestede barely wins any flick ons, his dominating aerial ability certainly seems a myth at the moment. 

I hope Sherwood says we were crap. The lack of battle and effort is no acceptable, especially given the opposition.

Tuesday is an even bigger game now. It needs to be the catalyst to kick start our season. Lose that and there won't be much faith left.     

Amavi was dreadful 

At least he tried to make something happen, running at their players. I admit he wasn't amazing but he at least had a go and took some responsibility on the ball. 

Make what happen? Cost us goals by getting robbed of the ball just outside our own penalty area? Again?

I'm far from impressed by him and surprised that not many are coming down hard on him as they do with Sanchez for example, given the number of times he gives away the ball leading directly to goals.

He didn't get robbed of the ball messing about he just bottled his 50/50 tackle with a baggies player that wanted it more, he had ten team mates guilty of the exact same thing all game

I don't think he's dreadful by a long shot, he's blatantly not the finished product but the kid will something special, however like I said the baggies player wanted the ball more than him which lead to their goal

That's an issue with Amavi, sherwood, Richards, the squad and like I said previously the fans too, not sure if this bollocks about the "real" derby impacted us today or what but the comparison between today and the 2 games in a week vs them last season was stark, no one at villa park today looked interested

If you think Amavi was dreadful then you don't have a clue.

If you think Amavi wasn't dreadful then you don't have a clue.

What if someone thinks Amavi was neither dreadful or undreadful? Or is there no room in this bathtub of hyperbole for my fat arse?

• Like 3

Reflecting back on yesterday shows what a good job Puis did on us.  We only have a few creative outlets which were stiffled easily by by a powerful midfield. 

Amavi was kept pinned back, we couldnt get out of our own half so he had no chance of continually bombing past the forwards as we couldnt hold onto the ball. 

Gill and Sinclair were well marshalled by 2 and 3 defenders at a time, even though it meant leaving Hutton free most the time, a gamble that paid off.

Grealish was simply held up so he couldnt skip past his marker, resulting in play being slowed down and the defence could get back before any real attack started.

The rest of the team simply tried to force the ball to these same players, and the cycle continued.

With a bit of confidence in the team we could have maybe have produced something to overcome the tactics but alas we are in a bit of a bad place at the moment.

Its not as bad as it seems really, we do have a good team here but we just need to get a bit of confidence from somewhere, but i do fear for Tuesday as its going to be too much I fear.

Congratulations pulis, job done!

Edited by Nigel

Also just got back, it really was abysmal. Amavi, Richards and Gil aside, the rest of the outfield weren't fit to wear the shirt today. 

I'm dreading going Tuesday now as there was no fight in our team, they won most of the first balls and every second ball. I thought the team selection was poor, persisting with Sanchez (he was dreadful on the ball) and Westwood (bullied, backwards and even Darren Fletcher ran past him). Sinclair either does nothing and scores or unfortunately like today, just the nothing part. 

Hutton tried to get forward but his final ball was awful. Lescott was also pretty poor in possession, aimlessly thumping it towards Gabby first half who has his usual uninspiring game. 

Because they dominated the ball in the midfield, we were always on the back foot, hardly had any spells of serious pressure and were constantly outfought. The passing was atrocious at times, giving me a very unfortunate Paul Lambert flash-back. The movement up top was terrible too, with only Gil trying to make something happen. I was really disappointed and frustrated by Grealish too. He was sloppy, had no urgency, never committed to making something happen and he seems to be exhausted after 70 minutes. 

Gestede barely wins any flick ons, his dominating aerial ability certainly seems a myth at the moment. 

I hope Sherwood says we were crap. The lack of battle and effort is no acceptable, especially given the opposition.

Tuesday is an even bigger game now. It needs to be the catalyst to kick start our season. Lose that and there won't be much faith left.     

Amavi was dreadful 

At least he tried to make something happen, running at their players. I admit he wasn't amazing but he at least had a go and took some responsibility on the ball. 

Make what happen? Cost us goals by getting robbed of the ball just outside our own penalty area? Again?

I'm far from impressed by him and surprised that not many are coming down hard on him as they do with Sanchez for example, given the number of times he gives away the ball leading directly to goals.

Completely agree. I think Amavi is getting an easy ride by fans because going forward he's one of the most exciting full-backs we've had for years. Unfortunately however his defending this season (the bread and butter stuff) has been extremely worrying.

Villa fans talk about a lack of fight - well look at that "tackle" Amavi puts in for the Albion goal... pathetic is being kind to him. 

I don't want to get carried away here. I think that was our first truly bad performance of the season. I think that makes five now under Sherwood (Swansea home last season, as well as Southampton away, Burnley and of course the FA Cup Final) but I don't think claims he could be sacked are realistic or even fair at this stage, given that without him we would have been down last season.

Yesterday was gutting, and what made it all the more galling was that the game didn't feel like a derby. Our players showed little to no intensity, except for maybe Gil, Richards and Sanchez. I expected a poor performance after what happened at Leicester, but we have to contain this and not let it become anything more than a slow start. I fear that if we lose a second derby in the week then the management team have got a lot of work on to make sure that this doesn't spiral out of control.

It's early days but it looks like there are one or two dodgy purchases amongst our summer haul. Sherwood seems to have given up on Ayew already and Gestede is not the caliber of target man we are used to. Would one £13million striker have been a better option? I have a feeling that question will surface again and again this season.

• Like 2

This was my first match since we beat Chelsea 1-0 and I travelled a long way to go. 

I wished I hadn't, I think we might have been slightly the better side up until their goal but trying to be objective I think it was two very poor teams.

It's going to take Sherwood some time to settle on his best team based on the performances of late but I suppose it's best to figure it out earlier in the season rather than later. Build the team around Micah, Gana, Grealish and Adama. 

Â