Witton Arms

Villaninireland

This is a ridiculous situation which makes no sense, penalises Villa fans unfairly and one which has put the Witton Arms in a completely impossible position.

Pubs struggle to stay in existence these days and those that lie close to football stadia rely almost solely on the trade they receive on match days. West Midlands Police have given a Villa pub two options: 1. Open for Albion and Blues fans or 2. Stay shut. They've also threatened that their licence will be revoked if home fans are found on the premises. What on earth do you do in that situation? Stay closed for both and you lose critical trade which could threaten the viability of the business and put jobs at risk. Open, like they are reluctantly doing, and they face the very real prospect of away fans smashing the joint up no doubt leaving them with a bill for hundreds if not thousands. That is also money they do not have. And now the pub has been forced into this decision, you've got regulars threatening not to come back.

Well done WMP - what a fine mess you've made once again!

• Like 3

You can still go to the Witton ..... they just can't serve you. Grab your beer elsewhere and set up camp outside ;) !!!

Seriously, this is not enforceable as a court of law would have to deem that the person being served was clearly and evidently a Villa fan and if you are not wearing a shirt or scarf then the pub could deem it was reasonable to assume the person being served was not a Villa fan. Even if they did have a Villa shirt or scarf on, surely it doesn't legally prove 100% they were Villa fans ...... I sometimes wear an old Miami Dolphins NFL shirt but I do so because I like the colours and I certainly don't support the team !!!  

Edited by Paul33

Speaking of boozers is the Addies still open or has it closed? I read a few things on twitter suggesting it was closed. I guess the aston tavern will be extra busy 

Sadly closed, along with the Aston Hotel.

Main options now are Aston Social and Aston Tavern, or of course the Holte Pub/Holte Suite.

Speaking of boozers is the Addies still open or has it closed? I read a few things on twitter suggesting it was closed. I guess the aston tavern will be extra busy 

Sadly closed, along with the Aston Hotel.

Main options now are Aston Social and Aston Tavern, or of course the Holte Pub/Holte Suite.

oh annoying..... I heard the Yew Tree is Albion only too? I guess it's the Tavern or the Social for me, been a while since I've been to the Social is it members only?

i dread to think what its going to be like when blues occupy the pub, your going to need a few police outside the pub that night.

This is the thing, all the Baggies/blues trouble makers will now all congregate in the Witton, and all the Villa trouble makers, p****d off that they have been banned from their local will know exactly where trouble can be found.

This one has the potential to back fire spectacularly. 

As VillaAndLoyal said, i hope fans don't boycott the Witton Arms, they really have been placed in an impossible position.

Insp Howard Lewis-Jones, of West Midlands Police, said: “We have spoken to the owners of the Witton Arms about the policing operation that will take place for the derby match next Tuesday.

“The pub is located on the main route to the ground that will be used by away fans.

“As such, we have advised the licensees that if they intend to open to home fans then we could pursue legislation to close the venue for the evening.

“However, we would not object to them opening for visiting fans on the night.

“These discussions are on-going and we will work closely with the licensees as part of the policing operation as the game approaches.”

LINK

Â