Midweek football 14/17 September

andykeenan

Bayern's fans were attacked by police. I saw the video and it was pretty bad. Not sure what they could have done to provoke the police to just start beating them in full riot gear. 

Germans in Greece are probably not the most popular people at the moment

• Like 1

Bayern's fans were attacked by police. I saw the video and it was pretty bad. Not sure what they could have done to provoke the police to just start beating them in full riot gear. 

Yes but beating the fans is pretty serious. Something had to have been said to one the policemen then things probably got violent. 

Yes but beating the fans is pretty serious. Something had to have been said to one the policemen then things probably got violent. 

The Bayern fans should have taken a leaf from Neymar's book. He's been the epitome of a well behaved spectator this evening. 

• Like 1

Someone called a policeman a prick and they all lost the plot? I can't imagine that's what it was. Isn't day one of policemen training, 'how to get called a prick and not take out your baton'?

I often think I'd like to be a policeman. I think I'd be one of the cool ones that all the kids would come to to complain about their dads. And then they'd sell me really good smoke. 

https://streamable.com/mmh9

Video of the Roma goal.  In off the post from fully 50 yards, maybe further. 

Was wathcing that, just could not believe it was intentional at first. After a million replays, he does have a look and see where the keeper is before he does that. Insane.

As for the premier league being so amazing, well, City, United and Arsenal all say otherwise don't they? Juve have been poor this year and all they did was put up an organised defence, PSV will not be contenders to win it this year and they've done United. Not seen the Arsenal match as was watching Roma but that is not a good result, 10 men or not. There's something at work here, like the magical talent sapping England shirts, WTF is it with English clubs playing in Europe? These are great players, most of them not even English in the first place, why do they struggle at this level? It seems ot be clichèd stereotypically English game rubbish that undoes them too. No patience, inability to deal with an organised compact team that doesn't play an open game, possession of the football etc (admittedly not in City's case but anyone who has seen us struggle since the European ban on English clubs ended like me will surely agree with the themes). It's just boggling that it continues to happen with extensively continental players who *should* know better. Especially when the prem is supposed to be so much better. Nuts.

Someone called a policeman a prick and they all lost the plot? I can't imagine that's what it was. Isn't day one of policemen training, 'how to get called a prick and not take out your baton'?

I often think I'd like to be a policeman. I think I'd be one of the cool ones that all the kids would come to to complain about their dads. And then they'd sell me really good smoke. 

I was just speculating. I mean honestly even a veteran officer can get angry and make a stupid decision too. If a drunk bayern fan starting saying something stupid about a man's country or family, I could see things getting violent, then the violence starts quickly spreading. 

they dont crumble, its just not as good as people think it is. Premier League has all the money but thats it

It's still odd if you ask me. When Serie A was becoming the richest league it created Sacchi's Milan which is one of the greatest club sides of the last 30 years without question. They won it back to back. All through their finanical boomtime they had a team get to the final at least. Spain's richest two seemingly are always there, but the top end of their league tends to do well. The germans in the last 20 years field 3 or 4 very strong sides each year. Ajax until fairly recently always got at least QF.

Why after speding 3 times Greece's national debt do Man City struggle? It's not because they play a traditional english game with english players, as was so obviously the case when we first got let back in to the European competitions. United don't with Van Gaal either and Arsenal under Wenger you would say have tried to steer away from that kind of football since day one. Yet it always seems there is something missing against the best sides in Europe (last time United won the thing that semi final against Barca was anti football, and Di Matteo's Chelsea was pure catenaccio from the QF's onwards). United's 3-2 against Juventus in 1999 shoudl have been some sort of turning point, a coming of age, it never was though. Like the national side I just don't understand what happens....

Turns out that is exactly what happened. A few bayern fans provoked the policemen with rude gestures and words. The officers did not take too kindly to it and then they started fighting which in turn got more people involved. 

Â