Pre match thread

roonst83

Yeah Agreed, silly question really. Think the answer is the same for every Villa fan.

losing either is unthinkable right now, if we lose at the weekend, 4pts from our opening 6, which were quite generous fixtures anyway, would leave us in a bit of trouble but I think the Blooser game is more important, League Cup or not. That sort of win should act as a catalyst in the league.

lets just hope we do the business and do em both.

4 pts from our opening 6, which were quite generous fixtures anyway, 

I don't necessary agree with that. Nobody could have foreseen the likes of Palace and Leicester being near the top of the league at this stage and we nearly got something from both. The only genuinely poor result so far was the draw with Sunderland, we would have been outsiders odds-wise in all the other games.

We will be favourites on Saturday though so we do need to win not least because I think the result will be replicated on Tuesday night !

Edited by Paul33

If we beat Albion, I think we'll beat Blues. Lose to Albion, I think we'll lose to Blues.

Although I think we may struggle this year through a lack of goals, we have a decent team that badly needs a confidence boost. If we win the next two derbies, it could transform our season.

Losing both is not even worth thinking about.

• Like 2

If they park the bus and we dominate possession then Grealish and Gil will have a field day, which is why I think this will actually be a more comfortable win than many people think.  3-1.

This scenario seems VERY plausible to me. Pulis has been excoriated recently when he didn't play classic "organized" tight-defense Pulis. The dude isn't going to take any big risks ...

"I take responsibility for the way we set up. The fact we had Saido and Rickie up front together pulled us away from what we should do," he told Sky Sports. "I said to them afterwards I'd take responsibility.

"There are certain principles we have to stick by and work with to get results at this level and I went away from that. We created quite a few chances but we were far too loose as a team."

So ... Tim pretty much must know how Pulis is going to set the Baggies up. Is that an advantage? Maybe. With Timmy, I am not sure, as I really don't understand his approach.  

Edited by Plastic Man
  • Like 1

________________Guzan________________

Hutton____Richards____Lescott____Amavi

_________Gueye_____Westwood________

Gil___________ Veretout___________Grealish

_____________Sinclair (or Gestede)_________

Assuming 4-2-3-1.  Was considering dropping Westood and having Sanchez and Gueye as the two.  I would like to give Veretout a go, but wasn't sure where to play him.  Maybe start with Sinclair up front (risky I know) and then try Gestede or Gabby if that's not working?  Maybe something like this 4-4-2 would work better if they are going to have four or five in their midfield? 

Gil _____Veretout _____ Gueye _____Grealish

____________ Gestede___Sinclair ________

Edited by Gary Thomas

_________Gueye_____Westwood________

Gil___________ Veretout___________Grealish

_____________Sinclair (or Gestede)_________

Assuming 4-2-3-1.  Was considering dropping Westood and having Sanchez and Gueye as the two.  I want Veretout in, but wasn't sure where to play him.  I would start with Sinclair up front (risky I know) and then maybe try Gestede or Gabby if that's not working.  Thoughts

Edit: Maybe 4-4-2 will be better if that are going to have four or five in their midfield. 

Gil _____Veretout _____ Gueye _____Grealish

____________ Gestede___Sinclair ________

oddly the team looks better in that font :blink:

• Like 1

A guy at work (same one who has bet me that their top scorer will have more goals than ours) started on last night about how they are higher in the table than us and were last year, so must be the better team. I then asked him if he actually liked watching his play and without even having to consider it he said no. What's the point?

Started slagging off sherwood, and then admitted he'd rather him over pulis.

The key to this will be whether we can break them down because pulis is guaranteed to come and sit back.

Last season we didn't have the squad to play decent football and we had a good awful manager.

This season we have (imo) a better squad but due to injuries and frankly some bizarre substitutions by Sherwood we aren't getting the results.

I'm hoping that changes this weekend and then against the noses but after Leicester I'm not sure what we will get.