Pre match thread

roonst83

but I am sure Pullis would have watched the second half with great interest - players should expect to be hustled and pressed from the off.   Hope Gana is back as he gives us a bit of bite in the middle.

Exactly this. They'll be pushing high up the pitch and closing down very quickly.

To counter this, we'll need to keep everyone back, draw them out, then kick it over the top for quick players such as Gabby and Traore to run on to.

I'll be at the ground for the first time in years, so it's a nailed on win ;) ***

*** last time i went we lost

It's gonna be my first time at Villa Park in about 12 years, taking the Mrs who has never been to a proper football stadium outside of the Philippines. I'm doing the stadium tour before the match, so looking to drop a few notes of encouragement in the players dressing room when no one is looking :P

I've got us down for 2-2, I wanna see goals to get my monies worth, don't much care what we do as long as there is a goal and we don't lose. Need a big improvement over last weeks disgraceful performance.

• Like 1

-----------------------Gabby-----------------------

Gil------------------Grealish-------------Traore

-----------Gana-------------Westwood---------

Amavi-----Lescott-----Richards----Hutton

---------------------Guzan--------------------------

Can understand why people might want Guzan dropped, but Bunn isn't the answer. He's far worse than Guzan.
Bacuna needs to be dropped because he's shite. It's a toss up between who Gana replaces as I don't really rate Westwood or Sanchez.
Not a massive Gabby fan, but we have failed to replace Benteke and he is the best of a bad bunch. He is always seems to do ok vs. Baggies and Blues as well which is positive.

I honestly think this side will smash that lot. West Brom will be playing for a 0-0 and will end up on the wrong end of a Gil and Traore double.

• Like 2

I'll be at the ground for the first time in years, so it's a nailed on win ;) ***

*** last time i went we lost

It's gonna be my first time at Villa Park in about 12 years, taking the Mrs who has never been to a proper football stadium outside of the Philippines. I'm doing the stadium tour before the match, so looking to drop a few notes of encouragement in the players dressing room when no one is looking :P

I've got us down for 2-2, I wanna see goals to get my monies worth, don't much care what we do as long as there is a goal and we don't lose. Need a big improvement over last weeks disgraceful performance.

Yeah at least 12 years for me too, been here for 10 and then in London before that for 11. I'm going with some old mates this time but will make sure the boy gets his initiation soon and bring his mom along ;)

Good luck with the notes :) I think we'll beat this lto to be honest, be interesting to see what happens if we're 2 up and they score though ay!

Based on injuries.

I imagine we'll see...

-----------------------Gabby-----------------------

Sinclair----------------------------------Grealish

-----------Gana-------------Westwood---------

--------------------Sanchez-----------------------

Amavi-----Lescott-----Richards----Hutton

---------------------Guzan--------------------------

I don't see a great deal of goals in that team. 

I'd really like Gil or Traore back for at least the Blues game.

Been talking to a baggies fan at work - season ticket holder. He reckons Albion will just park the bus and try to snatch a goal from a corner or something.  Said they might play 5 in the middle with the main threat coming from Rondon.  I think Tim might be thinking along the same because he said in his most recent interview, when asked about the game, "well we know we are going to dominate possession" or something along those lines.  Just wondering if they do set-up like that what would be the best team selection and formation for us to counteract that?  4-2-3-1, 4-4-2 or something else? 

If they park the bus and we dominate possession then Grealish and Gil will have a field day, which is why I think this will actually be a more comfortable win than many people think.  3-1.

• Like 1

If they park the bus and we dominate possession then Grealish and Gil will have a field day, which is why I think this will actually be a more comfortable win than many people think.  3-1.

I sure hope you're right. Don't know if I can bare another loss right now ^^.

I think we will need a minimum of 2 goals to win this given our frailty at the back. I think we need to win a third game on the trot against them to put them in their place and I think we will do that. 

3 points and a cup win will make things look so much better for us. Anything less than that is not acceptable. A 3-1 win would be a nice start this weekend and I anticipate a former WBA player getting one of the goals for us.

Yeah I imagine he's putting that extra bit of work on the training ground on set pieces.

But how do you even prepare to play us at the moment? We're a mess. 

Indeed, maybe that's our strong suit -- no opposing manage will be able to predict what the hell's going to happen.

Edited by Plastic Man

If it were this time next week and we had 1 win 1 loss from these 2 games, which would you take as the win..

Blues all day long. Irrational, completely not what we as a club would really need, but Blues, always Blues. If we lost badly to Albion and gave the noses a proper schooling then I'd be happy ;)

• Like 1