Jump to content
Adblockers - please click ×
Sign in to follow this  
jackbauer24

Relegation Thread Version...99?!

Recommended Posts

If we lose; or rather fail to win; then I probably will be on board with it.  If we win then I won't be.  Everything you say is right with regards to league position and points affecting the way a team performs.  But we don't know whether they can cope with that.  We may not be sure, but that's on us, not them.  For all we know they could have buckets of character and a master of motivation in charge.  It is a potential disadvantage.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not deluded to think that we're not somehow right up against it.  I'd hate for someone to think I was downplaying the task at hand *cough*.  But I just think that until something or someone is an absolute lost cause then you treat it as something that is not. But yes it won't take much for it to become one soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mantis said:

That wasn't what he was saying though - he was saying that if we're comparing individuals then Amavi is far better than Richardson, which he is.

Well no he isn't.  Amavi looks potentially a lot better but I wouldn't really trust him in defence anymore than Richardson.  He's been responsible for a few **** ups.

It's only because he is injured having been dropped from the team that he is rated so so highly.

Bar The game against man city, he hasn't been that great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Well no he isn't.  :snip:

It's only because he is injured having been dropped from the team that he is rated so so highly.

Let me get this straight.  Because I think I've misread you.  First of all you believe that Amavi is not far better than Richardson, and secondly you believe that other people only rate Amavi so highly now because he's injured and not in the team.  Am I right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BOF said:

Let me get this straight.  Because I think I've misread you.  First of all you believe that Amavi is not far better than Richardson, and secondly you believe that other people only rate Amavi so highly now because he's injured and not in the team.  Am I right?

I think amavi is 'potentially' far far better than Richardson. 

However, the Everton game aside, Amavi hasn't massively out performed Richardson defensively. 

Nevertheless, people seem to think that amavi has already shown a level way way way above Richardson.

I think thats a combination of a few things:

Richardson, who is poor (but by no means as poor as people make out), becoming a bit of a scapegoat. 

Amavi being the young, cooler more attacking player.

Amavi being injured and out of the squad. This does seem to have an effect on ppl rating players. Okore, Kozak etc.

In short, I'd prefer to have amavi but it's not like an electrician doing a graphics job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amavi was quite solid against City. Richardson tries but he is finished at this level talent and physical wise. Though he does the occasion good thing going forward that he could prob be OK playing wing back

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Well no he isn't.  Amavi looks potentially a lot better but I wouldn't really trust him in defence anymore than Richardson.  He's been responsible for a few **** ups.

It's only because he is injured having been dropped from the team that he is rated so so highly.

Bar The game against man city, he hasn't been that great.

What a strange post. I can only conclude that you haven't watched Villa at all this season if you wouldn't trust Amavi in defence anymore than Richardson.

And no, people have been raving about Amavi since the beginning so it looks like you haven't been reading VT either.

Edited by Mantis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Mantis said:

What a strange post. I can only conclude that you haven't watched Villa at all this season if you wouldn't trust Amavi in defence anymore than Richardson.

And no, people have been raving about Amavi since the beginning so it looks like you haven't been reading VT either.

They have been raving about him. Me as well but defensively he's always had a mistake in him.

I'm not saying people are raving about him because of his injury, just that the injury has enhanced the level to which he is raved about.

For instance, when Richardson came in v chelsea, quite a few were saying that he looked more solid than Amavi and would expect him to continue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think our players are any different in attitude to any players in any team in the division - it's foolish to think that we've just been unlucky in recruiting 100+ players over the last five or six years who all share a 'loser' mentality. For me players are pretty much the same attitude-wise in every team. Maybe the top teams can attract players with a slightly better work ethic but generally I can't buy into the fact that we have recruited or bred a continuing line of bad attitude players

For me the fault lies at the top - low investment and poor decisions. Simple as. You can limit your investment if you are ultra smart and can out think the market (Southampton?) or you can hid poor decisions if you are prepared to invest to sort your mistakes out (ManU?) but you can't do both. Poor management choices plus little investment = relegation.

No matter which random 25 players we had in the price bracket we are shopping in, you would get the same outcome

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

They have been raving about him. Me as well but defensively he's always had a mistake in him.

I'm not saying people are raving about him because of his injury, just that the injury has enhanced the level to which he is raved about.

For instance, when Richardson came in v chelsea, quite a few were saying that he looked more solid than Amavi and would expect him to continue. 

What you said originally was that he's only rated so highly because of his injury but that's totally wrong. I don't even think his injury has made him seem better anyway - he was always highly rated on here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mantis said:

What you said originally was that he's only rated so highly because of his injury but that's totally wrong. I don't even think his injury has made him seem better anyway - he was always highly rated on here.

I think that his performance against man city being the last before his injury has made people forget just how poor he has been at times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Maybe the top teams can attract players with a slightly better work ethic.

There should be no excuse to any professional footballer not having a first rate work ethic. No excuse at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

There should be no excuse to any professional footballer not having a first rate work ethic. No excuse at all.

That's your opinion. And whilst it's a valid and understandable one, it is a wish rather than a reality. 

The reality is there is a huge difference in work ethics from player to player.

It's the manager's job to create an environment where a poor work ethic is unacceptable, which should motivate players to comply.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

There should be no excuse to any professional footballer not having a first rate work ethic. No excuse at all.

Nice sound bite but life isn't like that is it? Being a professional footballer doesn't change human nature. Some people give it their all, some people coast along.  Some people are James Milner, some are Lee Henrie. There is a continuum of application in football, like any other profession.

Villa players are no better or worse in attitude than any other lower half group. Why would they be??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

I think that his performance against man city being the last before his injury has made people forget just how poor he has been at times.

I don't agree that the performance made people "forget" anything because most people never thought he was anything but good in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

QPR are doing so well this season ...

That does not gurantee success. Our squad has zero experience in that league and lets not forget its more games that premier league. I think we will struggle

You're right, QPR aren't, but Burnley and Hull are. I don't understand this desire to write-off next season as well. You never know, it might be alright!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

You're right, QPR aren't, but Burnley and Hull are. I don't understand this desire to write-off next season as well. You never know, it might be alright!

we might even win some games ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I know it's the Championship but imagine a season where we win the majority of our games, score lots of goals and are around the top of the table? The fact that there's a reasonable chance of that happening is one of the reasons why I'm not actually that fussed about going down.

my imagination is nowhere near that creative ;)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Woodytom said:

I think that his performance against man city being the last before his injury has made people forget just how poor he has been at times.

I'm sorry but Amavi is 10 times the player Richardson is. His injury is nothing short of a disaster for our survival hopes and suggestions to the contrary are baffling in the extreme.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, VillaCas said:

Being a professional footballer doesn't change human nature.

Sorry but time and time again were told that football isn't a normal job and we can't compare it to normal life etc.

Not saying you say that but I do feel that the population supports these people to the hilt, and I just find them complete tossers if I'm honest, who haven't yet grasped reality and are laughing whilst they knowingly take the piss out of the working man/woman.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...
Â