Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

I really dont see us getting relegated. Our defence is a mile better and we're actually scoring. That said we dont have a reliable striker and the way our midfield crumbled yesterday and offered ZERO support to our back 4, who consequently got pummeled (and did well to keep the goals out for so long), shows how dependent we are on Gana. 

I think I must be watching a different game to a lot of you. I've a season ticket sitting practically next to Sherwood and my eye sight is perfect, yet I'm not seeing this massive improvement in performances others seem to be!

We haven't actually dominated a game all season and to highlight Sunderland and Leicester games in particular as points that got away gives a great deal of credit when it's not due! Sunderland game might be closest to that but actually they took the lead and hardly had to fight for an eqaliser at the death. And we were at home against a definite relegation rival who hadn't picked up a point before us. We hardly peppered their goal for a winner, think we had something like 6 shots on target. Deserved to win? Maybe. Bossed them, no chance. And Leicester, who basically played badly first half and just stepped up to a normal gear and brushed us aside in te second half.

Maybe if you're looking for unfair results you should turn to our one win this season against newly promted Bournemouth, a team that pretty much played us off the park in the first half and then we began to match them more in the second. If we should have more against Sunderland we equally could gave had less against Bournemouth.

People also say at least we aren't reliant on Benteke as much which is great in principle but just means we actually CAN'T rely on our strikers at the moment. Our midfield will score more goals than our strikers and I doubt that's a good sign!

I take the argument the team needs time to gel but it takes ZERO time to learn how to scrap. There is no excuse for giving up and not fighting for points and that's what this team does constantly. You have to be grinding out draws and wins against the teams we've played or you will be in trouble regardless of the 'better performance' and 'we'll get better over time' arguments. I love how much hope people have that it's just going to click but I don't see it. Can hardly blame injuries yet and relying on youngsters who still have to learn whatever their potential is just the desperate hopes of a beaten down fan base.

I'd rather be playing badly but have more points on the board, than playing our current below average and having very few points on the board! With the games we've played, the manner of our performances, the team 'bottle', the lack of goal threat, the odd substitutions and the reliance on youngsters I just can't see how we won't be fighting relegation this year. I have seen NOTHING to suggest we will. All I've seen is enough to know Grealish and Traore might have enough about them to be sold for a healthy profit next summer.

Errrm yes they did.

I don't think scoring is our problem this year for once. Our problems are we have a very suspect goalkeeper and an awful right back. Bacuna should not be starting at all especially in that position, he is a crap full back, always has been and always will be.

Perhaps the most worrying thing for me is Sherwood thinking the best way to protect a 2 goal lead with 30 minutes to play was bringing on Jordan Ayew.

And then thinking "this is going so well, bringing on Rudy simply can't fail!".  But anyhoo, yeah, I think he'll learn from that one :)

Perhaps the most worrying thing for me is Sherwood thinking the best way to protect a 2 goal lead with 30 minutes to play was bringing on Jordan Ayew.

And then thinking "this is going so well, bringing on Rudy simply can't fail!".  But anyhoo, yeah, I think he'll learn from that one :)

Ah yes but he brought him for his defensive qualities.  Go to 7:08 and see for yourself...

Currently sat in the 'we'll be fine' camp but desperate to see some of the decentish performances we're seeing turn into points. I don't think it's beyond daft to suggest that we could (should?) have at least another 4/5/6 points on the board. If our side of the last 5 years has been good enough to survive then this one certainly is.

i think this team has the potential to put a run of games together that would see a reasonable points return over a relatively short space of time. I don't think I've felt that about a villa team for a while. Cut out daft mistakes, make the right changes at the right time and I think this team has potential to be a good PL team. 

That's my position at the moment too.  I'd prefer to have points but I don't think we're far away from putting together some good (full 90 min) performances.  A couple of players back and Tim learning how to use subs properly and react to opposition changes and we'll see the results improve.  I think Tim will learn from the last few games, but he needs to learn fast.

Am I reading this right? I'm not a betting man but this website that accumulates the odds from most of the big bookies seems to have us as FAVOURITES for the drop? Admittedly I am reading it as a table and have no idea what any of the numbers mean...

http://www.statto.com/football/odds/england/premier-league/relegation

Looks nailed on for a struggle .......at best 

People are saying Sherwood is still learning and spinning that as a positive ! - Other than a motivator Im seeing very little TBH. I am not even sure we have the players this time around, the organisation definitely isn't there .....

We didn't replace the man who kept us up for the last 3 seasons. (Well we did. Just with Ayew and Gestede...Facepalm)

It's all well and good replacing Delph and having a shiny new centre half partnership but ultimately, we haven't got enough goals in us.

Worried.

Am I reading this right? I'm not a betting man but this website that accumulates the odds from most of the big bookies seems to have us as FAVOURITES for the drop? Admittedly I am reading it as a table and have no idea what any of the numbers mean...

http://www.statto.com/football/odds/england/premier-league/relegation

Second favourites behind Sunderland with most of the bookmakers listed. A bit harsh really, we shouldn't have shorter odds than the likes of Bournemouth.

It's hard to explain.  You are and you aren't.

We are top of that particular table because our longest odds (2.7) are the shortest of all the sides' longest odds.

On average we're not the shortest for the drop.  You can see that Sunderland are generally less than 1.5 to go down and are only below us in the table because 'Smarkets' have decided to put them at 3.15 for some reason.  Otherwise they'd comfortable be below us.

But yeah, at the moment other than Sunderland they all seem to have us pretty much 2nd favourite to go down

We didn't replace the man who kept us up for the last 3 seasons. (Well we did. Just with Ayew and Gestede...Facepalm)

It's all well and good replacing Delph and having a shiny new centre half partnership but ultimately, we haven't got enough goals in us.

Worried.

We have though.

There's absolutely no way we will score less than last season. And we stayed up then.

It's hard to explain.  You are and you aren't.

We are top of that particular table because our longest odds (2.7) are the shortest of all the sides' longest odds.

On average we're not the shortest for the drop.  You can see that Sunderland are generally less than 1.5 to go down and are only below us in the table because 'Smarkets' have decided to put them at 3.15 for some reason.  Otherwise they'd comfortable be below us.

But yeah, at the moment other than Sunderland they all seem to have us pretty much 2nd favourite to go down

I imagine a lot of Joe public will have bet on us to go down. They're still working on the logic that we lost Delph and Benteke (and Vlaar) and didn't really sign anyone to replace them.

That will have effected the odds.

This link has Sunderland comfortable as favourites to go down, but we're second behind them.  The best odds you can get on them is 5/12 (or 1.42) with best odds on us at 17/10 (2.7) and Bournemouth 9/4 (3.25)

I imagine a lot of Joe public will have bet on us to go down. They're still working on the logic that we lost Delph and Benteke (and Vlaar) and didn't really sign anyone to replace them.

That will have effected the odds.

Very true.  As is always the nature of the beast, part of the odds will be the likelihood of something happening but most of it is the bookie protecting themselves against a potentially large payout.  And as you say, we're the chosen big fish after the high profile outgoings and low profile incomings.

The flip side to that is that you can currently get 8/15 on us staying up (with SkyBet).  So if you think we're not going down you can get a 53% increase on your money :thumb:

Worried.

We've scored 6 so far, which isn't bad.

Â