Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

32 minutes ago, blandy said:

In about 3 seasons the telly parachute money will be gone. Given that a wholesale "go with youth" approach tends to be high risk, I think that's kind of not really the right idea (for me). Maybe that's not what you're saying?

But anyway, I think the club needs to do what i always want, which is to be the best it can be with the resources available. Being the best it can be, means finishing as high as it can - which means aiming to win the Endsleigh league, or whatever it's called. Which means "not going with half a dozen babbies".

Pete, Even with parachute money we are going to be in trouble. Is it still £60 million over 4 years? 

By my reckoning our turnover could fall by that much and more in our first Championship season. Although the club have reportedly renegotiated lower wages for the players, at turnover of £45-50 million, our finances will be down the toilet. I suspect that the cuts which have already have started will also have a big affect on the Academy and other playing areas.

As regards being 'the best it can be with the available resources' we will not be finishing high any time soon, I fear we will more likely start tumbling down. Next year the Premier League clubs will have a massive advantage and the gap between us (and other Championship clubs) and those above may never be closed. Who knows they my even over the next few years agree a No relegation policy - then you might get your wish :-)

• Like 1

Looking at our current squad - who do you think will stick around or be sold off if we end up in the Championship?

GK:

Guzan - Go

Bunn - Stay

Steer - Stay

I don't think either Bunn or Steer are good enough to be No.1 at the club so we'll definitely need a new keeper

DEFS:

Bennett - Go

Cissokho - Stay

Amavi - Stay (initially and then leave next Jan, unless we're flying high at the top of the league)

Richards - Go

Lescott - Go

Clark - Stay

Baker - Stay

Okore - Go

Richardson - Go (out of contract)

Hutton - Stay

We'll definitely need 2 new CBs to replace Richards and Lescott. I'm hoping Okore will stick around. Baker has had a season in the Championship already so may prove useful.

Midfielders

Gana - Go (but would like him to stay)

Westwood - Stay

Bacuna - Stay

Veretout - Go (but would like him to stay)

Sanchez - Go

Gardner - Stay

N'Zogbia - Go (out of contract - at last!)

Sinclair - Go

Gil - Go (but would like him to stay)

Grealish - Stay

Traore - Stay (initially and then leave next Jan, unless we're flying high at the top of the league)

Our midfield needs a total revamp (pretty much like the rest of the squad!)

ST

Agbonlahor - Stay (unless Garde sticks around)

Kozak - Go

Gestede - Stay

Ayew - Go

Whatever the outcome of this season (and it's looking like relegation) the squad will yet again require a full overhaul. My main fear will be the owner not having the desire to do this properly (again)

At present I can see us lining up for the Championship as follows

..................Bunn

Hutton.Okore.Clark.Cissokho

.Bacuna.Westwood.Gardner

...............Grealish

.......Gestede.Gabby

That midfield looks bloody awful!

1 minute ago, theboyangel said:

Looking at our current squad - who do you think will stick around or be sold off if we end up in the Championship?

There isn't a single player in the squad that I would be unhappy to see leave. None of the players have shown that they are good enough to play in the premier league so far this season (IMO). As long as Rémi gets to keep the players he likes and gets to replace the ones he doesn't (Gabby et al) then I'll be happy.   

• Like 1

Personally, only Ayew, Amavi, Okore and Gana have shown anything this season and I wouldn't want to see any of them leave.

I totally agree in the hope that if Remi stays, he gets to keep the players he wants and jettisons the ones he doesn't.

I wouldn't be sad to see any of the players leave, even the ones I think aren't that bad they've become the face of the club over the last few years or more and I think we need a clean break, a new era.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

SSN doing figures about whois the fittest team

unsurprisingly we are bottom of the list in terms of distance covered this season, its nothing to do with fitness though, its the first finger that should be pointed

I saw an article in a Big Paper (Sunday Times I think it was) that kind of exposed that as a myth. There were 2 tables - one that (as you say) showed Villa as covering the least distance. But there was another table showing the sides with the most sprints and Villa were close to the top. Bournemouth I think were top of both tables. Arsenal were similar to Villa - no so much distance, but a lot of sprints - so the myth is perhaps that we're unfit. It's more case that the style played means slightly lower distance covered and slightly more sprints - i.e. pass and move v long ball and run after it, then run back. Ultimately all the teams ran a lot and sprinted a lot.

And to add to that Blandy, Man City have covered the 3rd least distance.  It's about making the ball do the work if you can.  Although we probably need to work on that too :P

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

GK:

Guzan - Go

Bunn - Stay

Steer - Stay

I don't think either Bunn or Steer are good enough to be No.1 at the club so we'll definitely need a new keeper

DEFS:

Bennett - Go

Cissokho - Stay

Amavi - Stay (initially and then leave next Jan, unless we're flying high at the top of the league)

Richards - Go

Lescott - Go

Clark - Stay

Baker - Stay

Okore - Go

Richardson - Go (out of contract)

Hutton - Stay

We'll definitely need 2 new CBs to replace Richards and Lescott. I'm hoping Okore will stick around. Baker has had a season in the Championship already so may prove useful.

Midfielders

Gana - Go (but would like him to stay)

Westwood - Stay

Bacuna - Stay

Veretout - Go (but would like him to stay)

Sanchez - Go

Gardner - Stay

N'Zogbia - Go (out of contract - at last!)

Sinclair - Go

Gil - Go (but would like him to stay)

Grealish - Stay

Traore - Stay (initially and then leave next Jan, unless we're flying high at the top of the league)

Our midfield needs a total revamp (pretty much like the rest of the squad!)

ST

Agbonlahor - Stay (unless Garde sticks around)

Kozak - Go

Gestede - Stay

Ayew - Go

Whatever the outcome of this season (and it's looking like relegation) the squad will yet again require a full overhaul. My main fear will be the owner not having the desire to do this properly (again)

At present I can see us lining up for the Championship as follows

..................Bunn

Hutton.Okore.Clark.Cissokho

.Bacuna.Westwood.Gardner

...............Grealish

.......Gestede.Gabby

That midfield looks bloody awful!

That is exactly the squad I expect to see next season (but no okore). They have no choice but to buy players come summer if all these players leave as we will only have about 11 players in the squad 

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, blandy said:

I saw an article in a Big Paper (Sunday Times I think it was) that kind of exposed that as a myth. There were 2 tables - one that (as you say) showed Villa as covering the least distance. But there was another table showing the sides with the most sprints and Villa were close to the top. Bournemouth I think were top of both tables. Arsenal were similar to Villa - no so much distance, but a lot of sprints - so the myth is perhaps that we're unfit. It's more case that the style played means slightly lower distance covered and slightly more sprints - i.e. pass and move v long ball and run after it, then run back. Ultimately all the teams ran a lot and sprinted a lot.

Of the all meaningless stats in football, and there are alot, I think distance covered is the worst.

1 hour ago, useless said:

I wouldn't be sad to see any of the players leave, even the ones I think aren't that bad they've become the face of the club over the last few years or more and I think we need a clean break, a new era.

Oh, we're going to get a new era alright -- and there'll be enough breaks to open an orthopaedic surgery, but I doubt they'll be "clean."

Edited by Marka Ragnos

Yes things have been getting bleaker and bleaker for a long time and it's hard to see things getting better, in the grand scheme of things, even if we stay up. A clean break and a new era can only really come with new ownership of the club and even the it's not gaurnuteed.

1 hour ago, useless said:

We're not going to buy 25 new players in the summer.

Rag tag and bob tail squad of players assembled under 4 managers,  not to some strategy but to make do and mend.

Yep. For years now we've been throwing good money after bad, buying cheap players to patch up problems caused by the last lot of cheap players we bought.

3 hours ago, useless said:

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

We're not going to buy 25 new players in the summer.

59 minutes ago, useless said:

I know.

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

So we're not going to get a 'clean break' and a 'new era'. 

Probably not but it can't be ruled out completely, I didn't say to get a clean break or a new era, we had to buy new 25 players, just that I wouldn't be sad to see the ones we have here go, especially ones who have been here a while and have become the face of the club during this long bad spell.

Just now, useless said:

Probably not but it can't be ruled out completely, I didn't say to get a clean break or a new era, we had to buy new 25 players, just that I wouldn't be sad to see the ones we have here go, especially ones who have been here a while and have become the face of the club during this long bad spell.

Okay, thanks, that's a bit clearer. 

Â