Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

6 minutes ago, Adbo9 said:

agreed, that extra money will only get spunked on overpriced players.  The quality of player wont suddenly rocket - the prices for bang average ones will..............

What happens if having been down for more than one season we cant afford the bang average players?

9 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Honestly, the fact that Newcastle also had a similar result is a tiny ray of light; a lifeline. Unless they plummet down with us, if they manage to bounce back in some capacity there's no reason our players shouldn't either. Nothing's really changed mathematically tbh, and if we beat Stoke it's still on...somewhat.

I agree, a win would have been very nice but i wasn't expecting more than perhaps a draw with a bit of luck. The real damage is to the players and managers confidence if anything, maybe the goal difference if it ever comes to that. 

We don't have any games this weekend so hopefully they can forget about this abomination of a game and move on. get lots of practice in and come back swinging.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

What happens if having been down for more than one season we cant afford the bang average players?

we as a club shouldnt be trying to afford the bang average players in the first place

we should things in place so we 1) develop our own, ignoring that sellable asset bollocks hollis was spouting and proving ourselves as the biggest fish in the midlands pond, berahino going to the nearest school to VP but signing for baggies simply cant happen 2) scout better, which i know is easier said than done but leicester have done it, less sylla more mahrez 

regardless of it the money is there or not we have to stop spunking it up the wall

the problem of course is this current regime isnt exactly filling me with confidence that it'll happen

3 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

Whatever they do with the money,they will be way ahead of us.

No, not all of them will. Your position is essentially that every other club will always manage its financial affairs in exactly the most optimum fashion, never wasting or blowing money, and you appear to be holding this belief in the face of vast amounts of contrary evidence. 

The financial gap between the Championship and the Premier League is bigger than ever before this season, yet we're still - in mid-February - where one of last season's promoted teams is in the top half, and the other two could easily stay up, and one of last year's relegated teams is stuck in the bottom half of the Championship. 

There will not be a perfect revolving door. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

14 hours ago, NorthernGordon said:

Who else is worried that we'll go into freefall now and end up in League One, or worse, eventually? A Leeds scenario.

I hope we get back out of the Championship at first attempt but it's a tough league and if the players show the lack of fight they've been showing then more relegation looms...

What good reason is there to suppose we'll not be utter shite next year?

3 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

What good reason is there to suppose we'll not be utter shite next year?

As long as we're less shite than at least four other teams next year..... we've failed at being less shite than 3 teams this year so if we made that step up itd be an improvement 

• Like 1

Never has a group of Villa players deserved scorn and disdain more than this pathetic lot . They actually deserve verbal abuse because basically we ,as fans can do nothing more . And before I get shouted down for abusing our own players , lets be quite clear......they dont represent OUR great club or OUR colours ! They represent just themselves in order to trouser £50,000 a week , see out their contracts and then disappear . ....May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their armpits !

26 minutes ago, bretonvilla said:

Never has a group of Villa players deserved scorn and disdain more than this pathetic lot . They actually deserve verbal abuse because basically we ,as fans can do nothing more . And before I get shouted down for abusing our own players , lets be quite clear......they dont represent OUR great club or OUR colours ! They represent just themselves in order to trouser £50,000 a week , see out their contracts and then disappear . ....May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their armpits !

I have little respect for many of our players and am disgusted with Lescott but they are they are the wrong targets. No amount of abuse so going to make them play better - quite the reverse. For now they actually do represent our club and wear our colours. You and many may wish they didn't but we are stuck with many of them for the foreseeable future. 

Do you really think that giving them abuse will improve our situation? If you do, please tell me how. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Duck said:

As long as we're less shite than at least four other teams next year..... we've failed at being less shite than 3 teams this year so if we made that step up itd be an improvement 

Only need to be less shite than three others ;)

3 hours ago, MikeMcKenna said:

I have little respect for many of our players and am disgusted with Lescott but they are they are the wrong targets. No amount of abuse so going to make them play better - quite the reverse. For now they actually do represent our club and wear our colours. You and many may wish they didn't but we are stuck with many of them for the foreseeable future. 

Do you really think that giving them abuse will improve our situation? If you do, please tell me how. 

I don't blame the players one bit, to be honest. I feel sorry for them.

I know some of the players may make some good money, but many of the noobs are strangers to England and were airdropped into a dire, deceptive situation. They had reason to believe things would not be so dire. 

I imagine many of them were genuinely excited at the prospect of PL football. Many probably imagined they would be challenged and cultivated and developed -- not simply overwhelmed with massive club problems they neither created nor can perhaps even grasp. I wish them all the best, and I could blame them if they were looking at their options for a quick exit.

19 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

IMO, good management, smart buying will see the gap not being too big............ big ask for our circus of a club, but there are still plenty of bargains to be had......... I don't like using them as an example really, as its a bit of a freak one-off, but Leicester being the prime example........... Fitness, organisation, team spirit and confidence can go a long way.........

17 hours ago, useless said:

There's no good reason to suppose anything about next season, until we know what the squad looks like and who's in charge of club/team.

With our board and the way they back the manager,next season`s squad will be about the same as this one ( as we will be in the championship ) maybe even a little bit worse

‘Lack of commitment’ apt for Aston Villa’s epitaph

Date published: Tuesday 16th February 2016 9:57

Aston Villa: Thumped by Liverpool

The failure to sign any new players in January was a bitter pill to swallow, but Sunday’s “lack of commitment” was unforgiveable. Our man Derek Bilton takes a look at the fiasco going on at Aston Villa.

As sure as Tuesday follows Monday Aston Villa will be relegated from the Premier League at some point over the next two months. It is quite simply the worst kept secret in sport. But when that fateful day arrives fans of this once great club will be hard pushed to feel any worse than they did Sunday gone. And while joy has been fleeting for Villa and their followers over the past few years February 14 2016 marked a new low for all associated with the club.

Their 6-0 shellacking at the hands of Liverpool brought a whole new meaning to the term ‘St Valentines Day Massacre’.  It’s been a circus at Villa Park of late and the supporters, who continue to back their team in great numbers, must be struggling to fathom how it’s gone quite so badly wrong. When Tim Sherwood was sacked I have to say both eyebrows raised and my lips pursed when I heard they were giving Remi Garde the gig. This is a young French coach with no previous experience of firefighting in a relegation battle.

Rivals Sunderland also changed manager after a series of poor results earlier in the season and turned to that old dog of war Sam Allardyce. He may have a face like an angry bun but Big Sam is well versed in the complexities of top flight survival. Indeed if he didn’t write the book he almost certainly gets a shout out in the foreword. At time of writing Sunderland are just a point from safety while Villa are eight points adrift with 12 games to go – predestined to be mixing with the MK Dons’ and Brentford’s of this world next season.

Yet to merely lay the blame at the door of an inexperienced new foreign coach is surely to trivialise the current malaise at Villa Park. Garde may not have been the right man for the job but the club’s unwillingness to do any business in the January transfer window was truly unforgivable. It doesn’t matter how bad things seem. You simply don’t wave the white flag in January.

A year ago on January 1 Leicester City were bottom of the pile with 14 points from 20 matches. And look what the Foxes have gone on to achieve. Villa had eight points from 19 matches but tellingly there was still half a season to go. Garde needed players he personally could trust to go into the trenches for him. But in the end the board served up precisely nothing.

A few players left to ease the burden on the wage bill but nobody came in. Surely there were potential loan deals out there? You are not seriously trying to tell me that players of ability didn’t want to come to Villa Park and play for a Premier League side with a fine ground and fan base? A side who once held aloft the European Cup. Because let’s have it right the ones there at the minute are not fit to wear the shirt. Their collective display against Liverpool may go down as one of the most shambolic Premier League performances in history. And the fact they are now being compared to that infamous Derby County side of 2007/08 tells its own story.

Then there is Joleon Lescott. Less than an hour after Sunday’s horror show he tweeted a picture of a £125,000 silver Mercedes. This caused understandable outrage among those of a claret and blue persuasion and the Villa man quickly backtracked, bizarrely claiming the tweet was sent accidentally from his pocket whilst he was driving. So the phone has unlocked, opened the Twitter app, uploaded a pic of a top-of-the-range sports car and then tweeted all by itself? More worrying even than phones with minds of their own for me was his statement later in the day apologising for “mine and the team’s lack of commitment for the 90 minutes”.

Lack of commitment? Really?

Football fans are a loyal bunch and can forgive most things. Most accept they will face teams who are better technically or tactically from time to time. But as a bare minimum you expect your own players to show 100% commitment each and every time when they step over that white line. These men are getting paid small fortunes on a weekly basis so Lescott’s choice of phrase was completely unacceptable. The way things are going however – from board room to dressing room – it would certainly be apt for the club’s epitaph.

Here lies Aston Villa. Cause of death: Lack of commitment.

By Derek Bilton

Sums up the Circus known as Randy Lerner's Aston Villa

• Like 3

I think we will struggle next season as well.  Huge rebuilding job,  we just have zero foundations to build on.  Nothing says that this organisation is deserving to be competing at the higher end of that league it's not as if this organisation has any solid foundations at all.

-----------------------------New goalie needed

new right back needed----Okore--------New central defender--------Amavi

-----------------Gana-------------------------------------New defensive midfielder

New attacking midfielder-----------Veretout--------------------------New Am

-----------------------New striker------------------------New striker

Thats how I see it as either those not good enough may be got rid off (most of them),  or those who think they are too good will arrange to leave (richards) or those who are too good will go (ayew).  Thats before we even start looking for back up and its one of the reasons I'd play a lot more youth.

• Like 1

Relegation runners and riders round-up by the Guardian.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/feb/16/premier-league-relegation-candidates-reasons-cheerful-fearful

"20th Aston Villa

P26 Pts16 GD -26

Form guide WDDLWL

Reasons to be cheerful None

Reasons to be fearful Bottom – and eight points adrift of 17th-placed Norwich with 12 games to go – they retain mathematical hope but, in reality, have virtually zero cause for optimism. Rémi Garde is considering his future as manager and a poor squad containing too many young French imports seems wholly unsuited to Premier League combat. They are paying the price for appalling recruitment and a loss of interest on the part of their owner, Randy Lerner, who has long wanted to sell up.

Next five league games Stoke (a), Everton (h), Manchester City (a), Tottenham (h), Swansea (a)"

So not great, then. [emoji45]

Â