Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

7 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

If they have relegation wage cut clauses in them (that would mean wages in line with what we could sustain in the championship), couldn't we just refuse to sell them? Some of them might actually feel liable and want to help us get back up since they were a part of the failure. (Maybe wishful thinking but other clubs have done it in the past).

The better one's would force a move leaving us with the shit that got us here

20 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

So to keep the squad together they have built in relegation clauses into their contracts........................................yep that will definitely work.

It's about the best we can do.

Presumably anyone with the relegation clause has signed up to it. We have to pay less wages for the same players if/when we go down which enables us to hold onto them rather than sell them to free up wages.

The ones with good enough options elsewhere will leave, but that would happen anyway.

32 minutes ago, lmarsha_926 said:

19 points in 29 is what Leicester had last season with a 7 point gap, I think we could get to that if we keep improving 

You mean 19 after 29 games?

Interesting.

6 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Not inspired one bit. imagine your a player at Villa now hearing all that garbage last night from Hollis and Fox. if they dont want to help you out what mentality is that going to have on the squad. 

I'd be demoralised as a summer signing if I heard from the new Chairman that I was part of £60 million the club apparently wasted. I'd feel worthless like I'm not good enough regardless of what on-pitch stats say. I'm not sure how I'd respond to that it might light a fire under my ass to prove the guy wrong, but it can easily be a case where I'd give up and start making plans to be at a different club next-season. Hollis may have easily just undone a month or two of solid hard work and progress Remi has made with the players. 

I'm pretty sure we could get to that sort of position by then.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think we'll stay up even if we do get to that position. if anything it just highlights how astonishing Leicester's rise has been since then.
I'm just surprised by quite how bad a position they were in at that point.

Next 2 games absolutely massive IMO.

It's entirely possible we could win both and be on the same points as Sunderland and be right back in the mix. Once we're round about the same points as the other 3 or 4 clubs down there, I fancy us to carry on improving.

Yep, and momentum is key too.  We'd be the same as Sunderland, but we'd have the wind in our sails and would hopefully only be going in one direction.

33 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Next 2 games absolutely massive IMO.

It's entirely possible we could win both and be on the same points as Sunderland and be right back in the mix. Once we're round about the same points as the other 3 or 4 clubs down there, I fancy us to carry on improving.

That of course requires Sunderland to lose their next two matches as well - let's hope they're in on the plan.

And even if Newcastle, Swansea, Norwich and Bournemouth lost both their next games as well (not actually possible, since one of the games involves Sunderland playing Bournemouth) we'd still be four points short of 17th, with just 14 games (many tricky) to go. That's not my definition of "right back in the mix".

Â